Memorial Stadium Renovation

Why not just pull a Northwestern and raze it all?  

I mean, no love for that stadium, but it does hurt to see a historical stadium completely demolished, except for an entrance.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
  • Worth a Look 1

1 hour ago, soup said:

Why not just pull a Northwestern and raze it all?  

I mean, no love for that stadium, but it does hurt to see a historical stadium completely demolished, except for an entrance.

It was a glorified highschool stadium but it did look cool.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

South Stadium will be standing for a bit longer.  But those in East/West might get displaced unless they pony up big $$$ to sit with the new chairbacks, as the grandfathering in of donations will be gone.

Probably means that the South Stadium project will never actually happen.

I do think it's probably the correct call. Updating where they can to make it the most comfortable is the best move to keep people showing up. South Stadium sucks, but at the end of the day, spending an endless amount of money to compete with the home viewing experience is just not going to work. 

Hopefully the private donations they sought for the South Stadium project will be put towards NIL efforts.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Toe said:

I think Dannen just wants to know what the bill for the NCAA/players settlement is gonna be before we commit to forking over half a billion or so for the stadium...

Which is fine and a very corporate way of handling things. However, others are acting and improving their facility while the the quarter of the stadium in most need of update remains a clunker with no established plan or timeline. Hopefully they'll have some sort of firm plan ahead later this year.

I find it fairly disappointing.  I think the way this stadium has been renovated up to this point has been pretty awful with the endzones epitomizing that. I get it back in the 60s and 70's when the demand was growing they just threw in some stands, but it's awful.  It was made worse when Pedey rolled in and double down on the north.  The east and west were both done well but it definitely committed the University to continue to put lipstick on the pig.   

• Plus1 1