** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northern Illinois (Game 3) **

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's no reason to believe we can't lose any game. There's also no reason to believe we can't win any game (except Michigan. No way.) Adjustments will be made, enough to win a few games, and that includes rebooting the QB position. 

In fact, I'll bet we cut turnovers in half this week. Only two! Put a pin in it. 

Two turnovers shouldn't be enough to cost us the game, sure. But at this point, I'm still very skeptical from what I've seen, because most of the turnovers have been unforced. I can live with the occasional forced turnover, I don't expect ball carriers to be superhuman or for QBs to thread the needle perfectly where there's no other option. It's the unforced stuff that I know drives us nuts.

According to just the first hit off google, we opened yesterday as 13 point favorites with the over/under set at 46 points.

If our defense comes out with the same intensity that they had all game long against Minnesota and the first 2.5 quarters against Colorado, I can't see us losing this one. We feed the ball to Ervin & Johnson all game long and win 27-17.

• Oh Yeah! 2
2 hours ago, Undone said:

According to just the first hit off google, we opened yesterday as 13 point favorites with the over/under set at 46 points.

If our defense comes out with the same intensity that they had all game long against Minnesota and the first 2.5 quarters against Colorado, I can't see us losing this one. We feed the ball to Ervin & Johnson all game long and win 27-17.

I don't know why anyone believes that Nebraska can win if we just announce our intention to run the ball. Every defense will line up against the run and dare Sims to beat us with his arm. Our running game goes nowhere without a legitimate passing threat. 

• TBH 2

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't know why anyone believes that Nebraska can win if we just announce our intention to run the ball. Every defense will line up against the run and dare Sims to beat us with his arm. Our running game goes nowhere without a legitimate passing threat. 

There are ways to run the ball against lesser talented teams and win. 

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are ways to run the ball against lesser talented teams and win. 

Sure. And most teams would love to develop a running rhythm and stick with it all game. It's just easier said then done. Nebraska got 220 yards in 41 attempts against a less talented Colorado defense and it wasn't enough. I didn't see any evidence that giving Ervin 10 more carries out of Jeff Sims 15 pass attempts would have changed the outcome. Since we are as adept at fumbling as we are throwing interceptions, it's not necessarily a safer gameplan yet either. 

Or are we talking about a more creative running game? That's been the knock on three coaches now. Are we running less talented RBs into a less talented OL, and are there some schematic choices and playcalls that could open it up. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sure. And most teams would love to develop a running rhythm and stick with it all game. It's just easier said then done. Nebraska got 220 yards in 41 attempts against a less talented Colorado defense and it wasn't enough. I didn't see any evidence that giving Ervin 10 more carries out of Jeff Sims 15 pass attempts would have changed the outcome. Since we are as adept at fumbling as we are throwing interceptions, it's not necessarily a safer gameplan yet either. 

Or are we talking about a more creative running game? That's been the knock on three coaches now. Are we running less talented RBs into a less talented OL, and are there some schematic choices and playcalls that could open it up. 

The running game was keeping us in it until Simmms started giving the ball away. We can't discount that strategy because one player turned into a turnover machine. 

The defense was doing great for 2.5 quarters, but at some point altitude and the ineptitude of our offense became too great a burden for them to bear. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The running game isn't why we lost.  It was why we were at least competitive (and our defense) through the first half.  And, my comment assumes we have a QB that can take a snap and distribute it to play makers.