** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northwestern (Game 7) **

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

They were planning on tearing down a lot (if not all) of the existing stadium and replacing it was a newer structure. I believe they were planning to start right after the 2023 season, but I’m not sure where NW would play for 2024 (assuming it would be done for 2025). But, all of those plans seem to be put on hold for now. 

Listen to the first 5-7 mins or so and decide if Gary Barnett isn't just much of a raging a$$h@!e as that ****-sucker Bill McCartney.

31 minutes ago, Gage County said:

Listen to the first 5-7 mins or so and decide if Gary Barnett isn't just much of a raging a$$h@!e as that ****-sucker Bill McCartney.

Not sure why you are quoting me with this post, since I was commenting on a question about the NW stadium project and Barnett has 1 sentence in this interview about the potential stadium project.

Also, would you expect a different response from Barnett? Fitzgerald played for Barnett at NW, so Barnett is going to stick up for his guy. Also, Barnett felt he was railroaded out of CU when some shady stuff was uncovered by the University, so he has a sour taste about University officials firing the football coach when there may be differing of opinions going on.

I’m not agreeing with Barnett or Fitzgerald. It’s just not a surprise that Barnett is responding like he is. 

17 hours ago, Gage County said:

I like that he felt compelled to mention Nebraska in his little whinefest. Still living rent free in his head.

I liked Fitz but he was there for 17 years. Sorry but the head of the football program doesn’t get to play the “I didn’t know it was occurring” card after that length of time. He either did know and is lying or he didn’t know and absolutely should have. It doesn’t really matter either way.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I like that he felt compelled to mention Nebraska in his little whinefest. Still living rent free in his head.

I liked Fitz but he was there for 17 years. Sorry but the head of the football program doesn’t get to play the “I didn’t know it was occurring” card after that length of time. He either did know and is lying or he didn’t know and absolutely should have. It doesn’t really matter either way.

Yeah, this is complete BS from Barnett's comments.  Coaches are such control freaks about everything.  They know everything that is happening in their program.  If they don't, then they aren't doing their job.

EDIT:  I finally listened to the whole interview, and I just shook my head when Barnett brought up "Cancel Culture" at the end.  Its not Cancel Culture that was Fitz' problem.  Fitz' problem was thinking that he had absolute power over the program and he didn't have to be held accountable for his actions, or the actions of his team (if he truly didn't know about the hazing).

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, Gage County said:

Yes, Barnett is a raging a$$h@!e, he's still pissed about Nebraska jumping CU in the BCS rankings to get the Rose Bowl. Screw you and screw CU, Barnett.

His question was, if this had happened under Tom Osborne's watch, would he have been able to keep his job and address the issue? You know, in the 80s or 90s, it probably would have been swept under the rug, but if it happened today, he should have been fired. Times are different now, and Barnett is being willfully obtuse. Honestly no coach should be as powerful as Osborne was (and still is, kind of), or how powerful Joe Paterno was. We saw how that turned out. 

Of course issues like hazing and abuse in your program fall under the HC's responsibility. I agree with the posts above that it is likely BS that Fitz didn't know what was going on, but even if he didn't, he definitely should have known. Fitzgerald had a responsibility to take care of those kids and definitely deserved to be fired, it's honestly kind of a no-brainer.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Loebarth said:

First of what might be several. One has to believe players are going to be poached. 

The big problem with players leaving now/before the season is finding a school which has open scholarships to give and need at that position.

I think the bigger exodus of players will be after this season.

Lawsuits starting.  This thing is over.  It’ll be a battle at the bottom of football between Northwestern and Coach Prime.

I can’t for the commercials to start.  I can already see them on them on the History Channel.  Move over mesothelioma and Camp Legeune water.  Here come coach Fitz.

“Have you ever felt depressed after watching a Northwestern game?”  Call 888-WILDCAT7

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The big problem with players leaving now/before the season is finding a school which has open scholarships to give and need at that position.

I think the bigger exodus of players will be after this season.

I understand what you mean by trying to find a school so close to fall practice but a school will open a spot for a kid that they deem a necessary take like the 4 star kid.  Look at us we as fans question how many kids they are going to sign this recruiting class bc we didn't expect it to be close to 30.  Yes they are sitting at 24 but it seems that Nebraska isn't done trying to recruit kids even after if we gain the commitment of Grant Brix.  Teams will make room for kids to help their team.

54 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand what you mean by trying to find a school so close to fall practice but a school will open a spot for a kid that they deem a necessary take like the 4 star kid.  Look at us we as fans question how many kids they are going to sign this recruiting class bc we didn't expect it to be close to 30.  Yes they are sitting at 24 but it seems that Nebraska isn't done trying to recruit kids even after if we gain the commitment of Grant Brix.  Teams will make room for kids to help their team.

Well…there’s a big difference in bringing in a kid a month before practice starts and “making room for him” and ……signing more kids than the fans thought in a class that they don’t need to make room for till a year from now. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well…there’s a big difference in bringing in a kid a month before practice starts and “making room for him” and ……signing more kids than the fans thought in a class that they don’t need to make room for till a year from now. 

That's fair.  But you don't honestly feel that if a team wants a kid they won't have a spot for him bc I do?  Yes the timing sucks but most programs have a couple open scholarships just in case something happens.  Nigel Glover will find a FBS school that will want his services.  Im not saying that's the case for every player that decides to leave Northwestern but certain ones that schools feel can help their program.

3 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's fair.  But you don't honestly feel that if a team wants a kid they won't have a spot for him bc I do?  Yes the timing sucks but most programs have a couple open scholarships just in case something happens.  Nigel Glover will find a FBS school that will want his services.  Im not saying that's the case for every player that decides to leave Northwestern but certain ones that schools feel can help their program.

There is a big difference between a few players leaving now, with just a few weeks before the season starts, and a mass exodus of players. Yes, a handful of players may be able to leave now and find a landing spot, but most players will sit tight, see how the season goes, and then figure out a plan from there. That’s basically what @BigRedBuster and I are saying. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Do you want to be labeled as a coaching staff that cuts players a few weeks before fall camp starts?  I would hope not.

• TBH 1