** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northwestern (Game 7) **

14 hours ago, lo country said:

I still have on idea what Husker team to expect to show up.  Rhule seems to be the first HC in a long time that knows how to keep their heads in the game and their eye on the prize.  I just know if I am North Western I throw against us.

I'm excited about the rest of the season.  But, admittedly, I am nervous about this game.  Northwestern seems to always play us tough and, this is going to be a test to see if this team can mentally keep the momentum going.....or, do they fall back into their old ways of becoming complacent and letting a team like this beat them.

I agree, Rhule seems to be the coach that is doing all the right things to keep them focused.  Hopefully, this team has tasted a little bit of success and uses that to motivate them to finish the season strong.

This is a game that has the potential to show the culture is changing within the team.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm excited about the rest of the season.  But, admittedly, I am nervous about this game.  Northwestern seems to always play us tough and, this is going to be a test to see if this team can mentally keep the momentum going.....or, do they fall back into their old ways of becoming complacent and letting a team like this beat them.

I agree, Rhule seems to be the coach that is doing all the right things to keep them focused.  Hopefully, this team has tasted a little bit of success and uses that to motivate them to finish the season strong.

This is a game that has the potential to show the culture is changing within the team.

Huskers by 24. 

• Oh Yeah! 3
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Northwestern doesn't play us tough so much as we repeatedly shoot ourselves in the foot.

Most of the time, we have significantly out-gained them.  The games are just close because we screw up a lot.  If we can avoid screwing up, we should be in good shape.

Total Offense Yards vs. Northwestern

2011 (L): NU - 411; NW - 468

2012 (W): NU - 543; NW - 301

2013 (W): NU - 472; NW - 326

2014 (W): NU - 471; NW - 290

2015 (L): NU - 373; NW - 333

2016 (W): NU - 556; NW - 388

2017 (L/OT): NU - 337; NW - 475

2018 (L/OT): NU - 482; NW - 487

2019 (W): NU - 319; NW - 293

2020 (L): NU - 442; NW - 317

2021 (W): NU - 657; NW - 256

2022 (L): NU - 465; NW - 528

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Northwestern doesn't play us tough so much as we repeatedly shoot ourselves in the foot.

Most of the time, we have significantly out-gained them.  The games are just close because we screw up a lot.  If we can avoid screwing up, we should be in good shape.

Total Offense Yards vs. Northwestern

2011 (L): NU - 411; NW - 468

2012 (W): NU - 543; NW - 301

2013 (W): NU - 472; NW - 326

2014 (W): NU - 471; NW - 290

2015 (L): NU - 373; NW - 333

2016 (W): NU - 556; NW - 388

2017 (L/OT): NU - 337; NW - 475

2018 (L/OT): NU - 482; NW - 487

2019 (W): NU - 319; NW - 293

2020 (L): NU - 442; NW - 317

2021 (W): NU - 657; NW - 256

2022 (L): NU - 465; NW - 528

You’re right. Thanks for making me feel better.  

How many of those were because of bad coaching decisions?  I’ll start with 2022. Pathetic. 

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

That's a pretty damn big 'if' there, chief.

• TBH 1

Every year for preseason predictions I’d say…turnovers and penalties. If we can cut down or eliminate the worst ones we can win 8-10 games.

We were what 5-26 in one score games for 6 yrs or something?  That’s directly due to turnovers and untimely penalties. I hope we see drastic improvement second half of season. It is a big ‘if’ but it will correlate to our potential wins. 

1 hour ago, Toe said:

That's a pretty damn big 'if' there, chief.

Eh ... we went 3.75 games only turning the ball over twice: once on a hit on HH while he was trying to throw and once on a tipped pass.  

Of course Illinois down the stretch was ugly.

But if we play like we have for 15 of the past 16 quarters, that would qualify.  I don't think that's a huge stretch.

• Plus1 2

Well, we’re going to see how this team plays going into a game as a favorite (and a pretty healthy one). Will they stay focused, cut down on penalties, & win the turnover battle? I’d like to see Nebraska with a comfortable (shutout) lead at half time, which gives Rhule the ability to try to get the young WRs some real work in the 2nd half (with the game NOT on the line).

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I honestly feel like this team is turning a corner and starting to believe and trust in the coaches. Look, I know we don't have all the pieces yet to produce on the field. But, watching the sidelines during games, listening to post game pressers and looking at the body language. I just feel like we are on the right track. 

I am not sure we win against Illinois with Frost. We may even lose the Northern Illinois game as well. Frost did just as much damage to this program as Riley did. 

Now let's go out and pound the piss outta Northwestern this weekend!!

GBR!!

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
31 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

I am not sure we win against Illinois with Frost. We may even lose the Northern Illinois game as well. Frost did just as much damage to this program as Riley did. 

I dunno.  If Frost's 22 Huskers would have played the 23' Illini I still think they also would have won that game.  This is easily one of the worst teams the Illini have had especially offensively in a bit.  I don't see the '22 Huskers losing to the '23 version of Northern Illinois either.