2023 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

In the first set of reps open to the media today, Sims and Ervin were out first, then Haarberg and Grant followed by Purdy and Johnson.

Those matches make sense. I envision us being much more prepared to play different quarterbacks as necessary. 

45 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Was anyone else surprised Grant dropped to 3rd on the depth chart?  He rushed for nearly a thousand behind a pretty bad line.  I don't seem to remember any major fumbling issues last season.  He ran over that one dude at Rutgers.  Wonder if that dude ever got up.

Not at all. He had ~600 of his 915 rushing yards in the first 5 games against bad defenses and then basically disappeared for the bulk of the conference schedule. 

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Was anyone else surprised Grant dropped to 3rd on the depth chart?  He rushed for nearly a thousand behind a pretty bad line.  I don't seem to remember any major fumbling issues last season.  He ran over that one dude at Rutgers.  Wonder if that dude ever got up.

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Not at all. He had ~600 of his 915 rushing yards in the first 5 games against bad defenses and then basically disappeared for the bulk of the conference schedule. 

He also has been fumbling in camp, and sounded like he was significantly behind the others in terms of understanding play design and where to run. Still a decent chance he plays a big role, RBs get dinged up a lot and the 2 in front of him both have injury histories.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

33 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I wouldn't say he necessarily disappeared the run game as a whole got completely worse.  Yes he made mistakes but the o-line didn't help things either.  Once he got to 900 yards I was for sure that he was going to break 1,000 yards but as things got tougher for the Huskers and the o-line, they couldn't and didn't run as much.  Still think Grant is the most talented rb on the roster.

23 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I wouldn't say he necessarily disappeared the run game as a whole got completely worse.  Yes he made mistakes but the o-line didn't help things either.  Once he got to 900 yards I was for sure that he was going to break 1,000 yards but as things got tougher for the Huskers and the o-line, they couldn't and didn't run as much.  Still think Grant is the most talented rb on the roster.

The OL definitely didn't do much against the meat of our schedule, but he could have hit 1,000 regardless if he didn't dance around so much. We can blame it on not trusting the OL or whatever, but Grant did not run well for most of the year either.I do agree Grant's probably the most talented - although I'm excited to see a healthy Ervin running in an offense that's a better fit for him.

Just hoping we don't see Grant bail due to the depth chart or touches early in the year, because that 3rd guy can become the bell cow quickly. I don't think he will - not sure he has interest or the eligibility to play college ball again next year, and would need to grad transfer - but if he did we would go from decent depth to thin really quickly.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'm pretty sure Grant's issues are mostly between the ears. Go back to this tweet from the very first post in this thread:

He was struggling with it then, and from what I've heard, it doesn't seem to have gotten a whole lot better. And note that it says this was an issue last year, too - this isn't just some issue with Rhule & Satterfield's offense.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
On 8/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, runningblind said:

Even so, that's still waaaaaay better than anything both of the guys ahead have him have shown.