2023 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

22 minutes ago, Toe said:

i-just-want-it-to-stop-jim-halpert.gif

He didn't have a concussion.

Maybe we would all be better off if we practiced some basic empathy. Who knows why Betts ended up quitting again, but for whatever reason his passion for football didn’t match his athletic talent and ability. Does that make Betts a head case? In your opinion maybe so. In my opinion, it doesn’t.  He’s just a kid who was given some amazing athletic ability, who would rather do other stuff.  That’s part of the recruiting process, is to figure out if talented kids have the desire to do whatever it takes to be a success on the football field.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 8
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Maybe we would all be better off if we practiced some basic empathy. Who knows why Betts ended up quitting again, but for whatever reason his passion for football didn’t match his athletic talent and ability. Does that make Betts a head case? In your opinion maybe so. In my opinion, it doesn’t.  He’s just a kid who was given some amazing athletic ability, who would rather do other stuff.  That’s part of the recruiting process, is to figure out if talented kids have the desire to do whatever it takes to be a success on the football field.

That’s the sad part. Football was his opportunity to do other things with his life. Earn that diploma after a couple more years and then chase your passions. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, Caveman said:

That’s the sad part. Football was his opportunity to do other things with his life. Earn that diploma after a couple more years and then chase your passions. 

And it sounds like Betts is staying enrolled in school, so hopefully he will get that degree. He’s still better off today than he was this time last year. 

• Fire 2

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Satterfield made have to go with a 75-25 Run-Pass ratio with how bad the receivers are gonna be. 

Considering the running back room, it's going to be a rough season on offense. 

Having a running threat at QB will help compared to last year, but overall the backs weren't good once we got into conference play. 

If we have to run Sims a lot - which I think they will - hopefully he stays healthy. 

• Plus1 2

Sucks but if his heart isn’t in it then there’s not much anyone can do and he’s got to make the best decision for himself.

I don’t know that I had the biggest expectations for him this year in the first place, but he’s definitely a talent we will miss. And you just sympathize with the coaches because the lack of depth makes practice so much harder. Almost have to bubble wrap Kemp and Washington at this point but that would be a disservice to them and the rest of the team. Oh well, next man up. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Considering the running back room, it's going to be a rough season on offense. 

Having a running threat at QB will help compared to last year, but overall the backs weren't good once we got into conference play. 

If we have to run Sims a lot - which I think they will - hopefully he stays healthy. 

I actually think the running back room is decent with 2-3 solid RB’s. They aren’t great, but serviceable. The running game will depend on the o-line, along with having Sims be enough of a running threat to force defenses to play 11 on 11. I still say the biggest issue last year was CT not being a true run threat, so defenses didn’t need to keep an extra guy focused on him. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
30 minutes ago, lo country said:

Short Side Option reviewed the receivers a few days ago.  Before the Betts departure.  Some good stuff. He has some concerns about the "speedsters" as well.

https://herbieshangout.com/2023/08/09/2023-preview-wide-receiver/

He is a lot higher on our TE crew.  Still no word on a waiver for Gilbert.....

https://herbieshangout.com/2023/08/11/2023-preview-tightend/

Satterfield may have to use more 22 personnel than he initially wanted to, with using Fidone as a hybrid TE/WR position where he can line up tight to the linemen on one play, and then splitting out wide on the next.  Fidone's size could be a weapon when matched up against smaller DB's.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 2