Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?

3 hours ago, Redux said:

Cal and Stanford are gonna be in ACC move limbo until Clemson/FSU announce the Big Ten move.  If that falls through, the Mountain West could still pull a last minute move to get the remaining 4 from the PAC.  Kinda interesting to see how it'll shake out.

I am curious if the B1G asked their media partners to cover Stanford and Cal as well and they were told 'no', or the amount Fox was willing  to fork over for them was too low.

5 minutes ago, nic said:

I am curious if the B1G asked their media partners to cover Stanford and Cal as well and they were told 'no', or the amount Fox was willing  to fork over for them was too low.

They just don't offer much in terms of market value, it's all in academics unfortunately for them.  Cal doesn't pack a house and Stanford hasn't done much since the Harbaugh era.  Neither team will rise up in a new home without the LA rivals.

16 minutes ago, Redux said:

They just don't offer much in terms of market value, it's all in academics unfortunately for them.  Cal doesn't pack a house and Stanford hasn't done much since the Harbaugh era.  Neither team will rise up in a new home without the LA rivals.

Cal doesn't bring much value but Rutgers didn't either when they joined.  Stanford may be down in football but their athletic department offer something.  Just look at their volleyball program.  Stanford can get back to being good again in football.  When they had McCaffrey they were rocking.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Cal doesn't bring much value but Rutgers didn't either when they joined.  Stanford may be down in football but their athletic department offer something.  Just look at their volleyball program.  Stanford can get back to being good again in football.  When they had McCaffrey they were rocking.

Rutgers was never designed to be an on field success.  Academics, TV market and a patsy for the two top teams to beat.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Rutgers was added at a time when the most valuable thing you could offer was your geographical placement within a large media market - their addition added millions and millions and millions of value to the conference being able to negotiate getting BTN on cable/satellite packages in the NY area and having everyone living there, whether they watched Rutgers or not, foot the bill.

44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This will go over really well and become a semi-permanent part of the rotation, I'm guessing.

Lots of people love Vegas. The west coast fans will appreciate the shorter travel time. Everybody wins.

Just alternate it between Indy and the Rose Bowl and call it good. With a 12-team playoff, a conference championship game will mean a lot less. I could see it going away entirely. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Rutgers was never designed to be an on field success.  Academics, TV market and a patsy for the two top teams to beat.

If I remember right, Rutgers and Maryland were also chosen to get a foothold on the East coast and give PSU some company. The Big10 didn't want the ACC to own the east coast and steal PSU.

2 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Putting this in a spoiler because apparently it offends some if I bring up my alma mater & favorite team...

Hide contents

My understanding is that Clemson is prepping to leave the ACC, the GoR will not keep them in the ACC...and they prefer B1G over SEC. Take it for what it's worth. 

I would take it, at this point I just want interesting TV and stories since the college football I grew up with is long gone. 

• TBH 1

Won't happen, but it would be really interesting if the remaining PAC schools got ahold of the current independents to form a new conference. This could be a decently strong core of teams: Stanford, Cal, Notre Dame, Army, Uconn, Oregon St., Washtington St.

They could poach from the G5 schools to round out the group. Maybe some combination, East Carolina, FAU, Navy, SMU, Ohio, Boise St. Airforce, Colorado State, SDSU, could round it out. 

3 hours ago, jaws said:

Just alternate it between Indy and the Rose Bowl and call it good. With a 12-team playoff, a conference championship game will mean a lot less. I could see it going away entirely. 

No way.  I could actually see a conference adding a semi final game.  Meaning a conference has their own 4 team playoff.  It's more revenue.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:59 PM, gobiggergoredder said:

No way.  I could actually see a conference adding a semi final game.  Meaning a conference has their own 4 team playoff.  It's more revenue.

If only caring about player safety was actually a thing.

Adding more conference games (even a semifinal) doesn't make sense under the 12-team playoff format. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1