What did we learn

2 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Losing with a last second field goal to a very solid Minnesota team despite 4 turnovers is definitely not an "end of the world" situation. 

Yes, the turnovers need to be fixed.  Playcalling and AG, unfortunately, need to be focused on the turnover issue.  

The "identity" of being a running team is a bit in doubt as well.

But overall, I think Rhule will get this ship turned in the right direction.

Hopefully many of the supposed "fans" won't be on board, but once things improve, I'm sure they will.

Minny is NOT a good team, they may get a bowl game but they are not good.  We gave them that game, well Sims and Grant gave them that game with some Satterfield built in.  This team can't stop tripping over their own dicks let alone win a winnable game which this was.  This team does not know how to win, plain and simple, time to play the kids who want to win and bench the kids that can't figure it out.  We are going to lose anyways might as well get the youngins playing time and hope people with the right mentality are brought in.  You seem to be ok and accepting of looking like a flaming garbage can, most of us are not.  Maybe you will be back when our guys have a winning mentality, maybe not.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

While I agree with the sentiment of patience, that is a poor Minnesota team with a poor QB and really struggled running the ball. Maybe the 6th or 7th best we will see.

This.  This was not as good of a Minny team as we have faced in recent pass. Nothing special about their running game or defense. Our offense was inept. Defense played well but again allowed a pedestrian QB to have all day to make the winning throw.  

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

They'll get more than 4. There are quite a few tossup games out there we can pad the W's with noncon wins outside of CU.

I never bought into Sims's highlight reels. They were all too easy of looks. Tons of time and wide open receivers. That ain't B1G football.

I don't even get why they wanted him as a runner? He's not all that fast. Illinois, Michigan, MSU and even Wisconsin are going to have the athletes to keep him in check since there is zero pass threat.

I saw him live and when I saw he was coming here I was hoping he was better, last time I saw him play he only threw 4INT's and they lost, tonight only 3 and we lost.  

10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

While I agree with the sentiment of patience, that is a poor Minnesota team with a poor QB and really struggled running the ball. Maybe the 6th or 7th best we will see.

Naw, i think they're tougher than that.  

Michigan, wisconsin, and illinois for sure tougher matchups this year.  Minny might be tied for me with the iowa game.  Besides that, I think all the other matchups and circumstances are easier matchups than this one

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Minny is NOT a good team, they may get a bowl game but they are not good.  We gave them that game, well Sims and Grant gave them that game with some Satterfield built in.  This team can't stop tripping over their own dicks let alone win a winnable game which this was.  This team does not know how to win, plain and simple, time to play the kids who want to win and bench the kids that can't figure it out.  We are going to lose anyways might as well get the youngins playing time and hope people with the right mentality are brought in.  You seem to be ok and accepting of looking like a flaming garbage can, most of us are not.  Maybe you will be back when our guys have a winning mentality, maybe not.

The "don't know how to win" is such a bunch of BS.  If it were an individual sport, maybe there's a valid thought but with 50+ guys contributing, "knowing how to win" is just bs.  

The young men played hard and made too many mistakes.  That has nothing to do with "knowing how to win".  It's a popular phrase that doesn't mean a damn thing.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The worst part is we already know running the QB this much in B1G play isn't sustainable. He's going to miss games at some point if he's carrying the ball more than 10 times per game.

Yes. It's a vicious cycle and it's seriously so f****** weird to me that our $72M coach went this route.

Not saying that Sims doesn't have potential. But in this game, he objectively played very bad. Like, he was a couple rungs above basically a Wildcat QB.

Now maybe he rises above that and turns heads. I could believe it could happen. But there might have been a lot we could have done out of the big sets with Casey at the helm while also mixing Sims in there.

15 minutes ago, runningblind said:

On our schedule.

Uh. So if they were to be 6th best we face and we played them to a 10-13 loss, that bodes really well for our bowl chances according to your placement of their ranking on our schedule.

They were probably the 6th best team we played last year also, but it's just that Frost was "leading" the team against Northwestern & Georgia Southern, keeping us from getting to 6 wins.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes. It's a vicious cycle and it's seriously so f****** weird to me that our $72M coach went this route.

Not saying that Sims doesn't have potential. But in this game, he objectively played very bad. Like, he was a couple rungs above basically a Wildcat QB.

Now maybe he rises above that and turns heads. I could believe it could happen. But there might have been a lot we could have done out of the big sets with Casey at the helm while also mixing Sims in there.

Casey was effective because of Palmer. Pull back the reins a little bit 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Well, you see, some folks might not quite grasp the genius behind snaggin Matt Rhule and Marcus Satterfield for our good ol Nebraska Cornhusker football team. Now, Matt Rhule, he's got a knack for turnin strugglin teams into somethin' special – like a recipe for success he's got cookin' up in his back pocket. His smarts on the field and his way of motivatin' the players, well, it's just what our Huskers need to climb to the top. And old Marcus Satterfield, he's got this way with the offense that's downright impressive, like he's playin' a whole different game. His trick plays and the way he gets them players shinin' – it's like watchin' a magic show. Now, I know some folks might be doubtin' these choices, but you know, us believers, we're seein the potential clear as day. So while them naysayers keep on naysayin', we're sittin right here, knowin these hires are gonna lead us to glory. Just like corn, you can't beat the tried and true, my friend. Oh, and did ya hear 'bout Arik Gilbert? Heard he's causin some ruckus, real thug-like.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Uh. So if they were to be 6th best we face and we played them to a 10-13 loss, that bodes really well for our bowl chances according to your placement of their ranking on our schedule.

They were probably the 6th best team we played last year also, but it's just that Frost was "leading" the team against Northwestern & Georgia Southern, keeping us from getting to 6 wins.

Come again? How does a close loss to a middle of the road team bode well for bowl chances?

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't remember seeing anything about us running Casey off. Could have been he simply wanted another year with Tom Herman, and didn't want to start over again with a new staff.

Lots to work on but let's be real, Sims throwing 3 picks off his back foot lost us the game. The second one should have been a touchdown throw to 87. I like the kid but he has to stop throwing the ball when his feet aren't set and more importantly to players who aren't extremely covered. Better QB play and we win this game easily despite the line, play calling, even the fumble. 

• Fire 1
37 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Spot on for the #1 and thank you for saying it.

#2- Tough to say, we dont have a trey palmer on this team.  Not sure how great casey would've looked either.  

I think Thompson hits that wide open receiver on that deep first down throw.  I also don't think he throws the pick in the endzone and late it the game.  All that was needed from Thompson was to get him to run a little more.  I'd rather teach Thompson to run some more than to have to teach Sims to pass.

The Nebraska D looked good overall, but they dropped an easy INT late in the game that might have sealed it.  Minnesota didn't drop their easy opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Lots to work on buts let's be real, Sims throwing 3 picks off his back foot lost is the game. The second one should have been a touchdown throw to 87. I like the kid but he has to stop throwing the ball when his feet aren't set and more importantly to players who aren't extremely covered. Better QB play and we win this game easily despite the line, play calling, even the fumble. 

Unfortunately you won't see him not doing that, he's a turnover machine.

• Plus1 1
Just now, HuskerInLostWages said:

Unfortunately you won't see him not doing that, he's a turnover machine.

Well then hopefully Rhule goes with someone else because that is the reason we lost plain and simple. We can sit here and blame a million other things but 0 ints and we win this game without a doubt.