What did we learn

My takeaway is that I'm prepared for another season without a bowl appearance. It's clear that there is still a long ways to go in terms of recruiting in the trenches.The QB play also didn't show much promise. Also, it will take time to erase the loser culture that has infected the program the last two decades. All the current players on the roster have known is losing. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t blame Rhule for going for the TD at the end of the first half. Yeah, in hindsight, people will question it but when you’ve been where this program has been for the last ten year, f#&% it, go for it. Just please do it better next time.  The only coaching decision I had an issue with was going with butterfingers the RB when he fumbled. Sorry but he wouldn’t see the field on my team unless we were up by 21.

I think going for the touchdown was a no-brainer. Even trying to save the time out was defensible. 11 (or 8) seconds is long enough to try the pass in the end zone. Either it's a touchdown or an incompletion, and if it's incomplete you kick the field goal you had all along. The quick out TD to the TE was there for the taking, but Sims made an incredibly bad decision and throw. 

As for Grant: is there ever a time in the game where it's okay to fumble? If Grant is that unreliable he shouldn't see any meaningful game time. And then it would be kind of weird if last year's leading rusher wasn't given any touches, especially when the record shows he only lost 1 fumble in 236 touches last year. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think going for the touchdown was a no-brainer. Even trying to save the time out was defensible. 11 (or 8) seconds is long enough to try the pass in the end zone. Either it's a touchdown or an incompletion, and if it's incomplete you kick the field goal you had all along. The quick out TD to the TE was there for the taking, but Sims made an incredibly bad decision and throw. 

As for Grant: is there ever a time in the game where it's okay to fumble? If Grant is that unreliable he shouldn't see any meaningful game time. And then it would be kind of weird if last year's leading rusher wasn't given any touches, especially when the record shows he only lost 1 fumble in 236 touches last year. 

Dude, you need to stop being reasonable and sound of mind. This is a day for inane overreactions!!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5

1.  I learned a new coaching staff with an entire offseason isn’t enough to overcome what has plagued this team for over 10 years.  Turnovers and stupid penalties that turn what should have been a win over an average to below average team to another gut-wrenching loss.   They’re chokers and have been for a long time.  
2.  I’ve likely gone to my last away game for a while.  Maybe ever.   Not a knock on Minnesota fans.   Just not fun anymore.   
3.  I’ll have more spending money next year when I more than likely won’t renew my season tickets.  

note:  I still think Trev and Rhule are the best people for the job right now.  I’m just fatigued from being a fan.  The disappointment of fHCSF was the last straw.   

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

I’m slightly more optimistic than everyone. Just wish Casey Thompson and Jeff Sims had a baby. 

the offense is scary bad, but we knew that.  I’m ok with Sims. He missed a number of open receivers  on cross routes- I think he was looking for the bomb. I’m no o line guru, but was the pass protection the worst ever? I feel like we’re one inception away from running the option gain out of desperation. 

I’m sure if they were to do it over again, different plays would have been called. The false start on the goal line was killer. But I think it’s reasonable for a coach to think a team could execute that simple play. 

rotating the RB so much is stupid and  the absolute killer was the fumble. Why do our bonehead plays come within the last minute of quarters 2 and 4? 

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I agree on going for the TD at the end of first half.

As for Grant, I was simply commenting based on why the coaches said he was moved down the depth chart. The reason they gave was fumbles/ball security. Regardless what his stats say for last year, ya gotta wonder why they had him in when they did. Either they aren’t overly concerned about his ball security and their prior comments where exaggerated or it was ill advised to have him in that time. Or possibly Ervin desperately needed a blow. Whatever the case, I think it’s fair to criticize the decision based on what we heard out of camp. And it really is about the only criticism I had.

Hoo boy.  You know, there's a long ways to go before we can justify much criticism of Coach Ruhl.  How long?  Well.. a couple of seasons?  Three?  Main thing is we have tried singing the praises of a lot of coaches in their first few losses for us.  Always saying he needs more time etc.  Blows an easy win at the end of the game with... whatever that was.  

Yeah it's just one game.  But... here we go again.  

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Hoo boy.  You know, there's a long ways to go before we can justify much criticism of Coach Ruhl.  How long?  Well.. a couple of seasons?  Three?  Main thing is we have tried singing the praises of a lot of coaches in their first few losses for us.  Always saying he needs more time etc.  Blows an easy win at the end of the game with... whatever that was.  

Well heck. I did not know that Rhule threw 3 interceptions and lost a fumble. Apparently you must think that is what he is coaching his players to do.

First. Frikken. Game. :facepalm:

Like I said last night, I'd go more than one game than to be too tough on rhule. He has a process in building programs at the places he has been. Interested to see how y'all's team grows over the course of the season. As an auburn fan, I I know after the first 3 and out tomorrow I'll be calling to fire the entire staff lol. Cheers to u guys and hope you guys have a great season.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hagg said:

You can criticize when you learn to spell is name correctly

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Well heck. I did not know that Rhule threw 3 interceptions and lost a fumble. Apparently you must think that is what he is coaching his players to do.

First. Frikken. Game. :facepalm:

That was a large portion of my point, Einstein.