Rhule or Sanders

HuskerX

After watching the Colorado/TCU game, who would you rather have as Huskers Head Coach?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Rhule or Deion Sanders

• Rhule
    • Sanders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2023 at 01:21 AM

1996, Nebraska goes into ASU and loses.  If that was this year, fans would be claiming Nebraska was horrible and not going to win very many games the rest of the year and ASU was the greatest team that year.

In reality, both teams were pretty good that year.

One game doesn't prove what the rest of the year is going to be like.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

1996, Nebraska goes into ASU and loses.  If that was this year, fans would be claiming Nebraska was horrible and not going to win very many games the rest of the year and ASU was the greatest team that year.

That 1996 ASU team was really freaking good in retrospect. IIRC they finished 11-1 and barely lost to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I remember that ASU game. I think there's a notable difference in coming off a National Championship with a loaded roster, and coming off a 3-9 dumpster fire with interim coaching. 

But yeah, Husker fans in 1996 weren't happy at all about the 19 point loss to ASU.  I don't recall fans worrying Nebraska was going to be horrible (keeping in mind a 10-3 season would have been horrible) but the knives immediately came out for new quarterback Scott Frost, and the fanbase went back to second-guessing Tom Osborne's decisions, including his faith in Frost.

ASU and Jake Plummer turned out to be pretty good, but it's still kinda crazy how an Osborne coached offense loaded with talent scored zero points that game. After that, they really went off on a scoring tear.

That was a good 11-2 team that finished ranked #6, but I can assure you plenty of Husker fans grumbled about the team failing to pull off a three-peat, and losing to Texas. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Of course one game doesn't make the season. But it's not wrong to be saddened by how Nebraska lost to Minnesota, a late mistake-riddled collapse on both side of the ball that felt way to much like the previous regimes.

Should we expect Matt Rhule to put a stop to that single-possession losing mojo overnight? Yes. That's why we hired him.

Should we have expected Deion Sanders bluster and last second roster overhaul to be exposed against TCU? Probably. 

TCU didn't look great. But neither did Minnesota. We can put a pin in this thread and revisit it in December after a lot of unexpected things happen. Given only one weekend of college football to fret about, the reaction so far is pretty much warranted. 

It did feel very much like what we've come to expect...We should've beaten a decent (Fairly average) Minnesota team. I don't anticipate resolution overnight though I do expect improvement. We didn't see nearly enough. 

That was a tough loss particularly because (again) the game could've been won. However, the verdict isn't in nor will it be for a good, long while (even if we had won the game). There is nothing to indicate that over-reactions won't cease. In fact, they'll intensify. I'll be rooting for the team and what it can be. 

Remember that pair of jumper cables you mentioned last season during the conversation with a rival? :lol: That's a little bit what I feel like with a few ding dongs around here except have it be a charger set 24 Volt START! All humor of coarse (not seriously).  

There's a couple other threads that could be closed too IMO. It seems that there's more than adequate opportunities to make points without having a multitude of options to do it. 

Over reaction prize:  Jason Whitlock:  "A 56-year-old man is insisting on other adults calling him ‘Prime', some materialistic nickname. A 56-year-old man is running around with gold chains on like a 19-year-old rapper. This is a level of insecurity and false bravado that’s frightening. Deion wrote an auto-biography, a memoir, and confessed in there that he contemplated suicide. And I've watched his behavior and I go 'yeah, I can see that.' This man is incredibly insecure."

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
11 hours ago, Hagg said:

Over reaction prize:  Jason Whitlock:  "A 56-year-old man is insisting on other adults calling him ‘Prime', some materialistic nickname. A 56-year-old man is running around with gold chains on like a 19-year-old rapper. This is a level of insecurity and false bravado that’s frightening. Deion wrote an auto-biography, a memoir, and confessed in there that he contemplated suicide. And I've watched his behavior and I go 'yeah, I can see that.' This man is incredibly insecure."

Who is the moron who wrote that?

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
12 hours ago, Hagg said:

Classic Whitlock garbage 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1