Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

51 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

That team fumbled 28 times. So if by some miracle of heaven, the Huskers can avoid fumbling for two whole games (and, DARE I SAY, some kind of a. . .bowl game thingy?!!), they'll finish with exactly one fewer fumble than the 1995 team! Unfortunately they've already lost 13 compared to 9 by the 95 squad.

Thanks!  Revisionist memory.  That's a crazy stat.

6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Adrian Martinez freshman year. 

I think some people get nervous about every forward pass, but recent Husker QBs have been middle of the pack turnover machines: not great, but no reason to shut them down, either. I actually have great memories of Trey Palmer, J.D. Spielman, Stanley Morgan, Quincy Enunwa, Jordan Westercamp, Kenny Bell, Demornay Pierson-El, Cethan Carter and other receivers who made exciting plays and helped us win via the passing game. 

Yes those are great receivers who excelled. Some due to their individual talent and some due the WR/QB connection 

1 hour ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

That team fumbled 28 times. So if by some miracle of heaven, the Huskers can avoid fumbling for two whole games (and, DARE I SAY, some kind of a. . .bowl game thingy?!!), they'll finish with exactly one fewer fumble than the 1995 team! Unfortunately they've already lost 13 compared to 9 by the 95 squad.

So you’re saying this team is as good as the 95 team!:D

5 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You’re cherry picking data 

The TD drive was two plays.  One was a 1 yard run by Grant.  The other was the fluke TD.

The field goal was one big play (27 yards) by Ervin.  Sims had 3 carries on the 8 play drive for 19 yards.  6.3 yards a carry.

Considering scoring points is how they determine the winner of the game, and thus, being "in it", it seems appropriate to talk about how we were able to score said points.

I'm not sure how he was keeping us "in it" if his other runs didn't lead to points.

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Considering scoring points is how they determine the winner of the game, and thus, being "in it", it seems appropriate to talk about how we were able to score said points.

I'm not sure how he was keeping us "in it" if his other runs didn't lead to points.

Good point.  Unless you score your contributions are irrelevant.

There’s nothing gained from picking up a first down.  Nothing from field position.  Nothing from potentially setting up another play based upon a look.  Nothing gained from it be it being your first start under a brand new coach.  It doesn’t matter if you carried the ball 19 times and averaged nearly 5 yards a carry.  No scores means you really didn’t contribute to the outcome of the game.

• TBH 1
48 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yep. Thompson was a very decent QB in 2021. And I seem to remember Longhorns fans grading him (higher) on a curve because of how bad their offensive line was that year.

But then again, the talent level of receivers there that season was higher across the board. When a guy gets separation & gets himself "more open," it's easier to make the completion.

It's weird how little anybody has talked about Marcus Washington being out around here. I think that's been big but then there are still just so many plays where Haarberg has sailed a ball, skipped it off the turf, or not led his receiver even when the guy is open. Like, so many.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

But then again, the talent level of receivers there that season was higher across the board. When a guy gets separation & gets himself "more open," it's easier to make the completion.

I agree with your last statement for sure.  But look at the receivers he was throwing to and how their careers have turned out.   There was no Trey Palmer on that team, which people were trying to say Casey Thompson was basically HH but without Trey Thompson or running ability.  

2021 CT proves that to be false.  And that’s all I was getting across 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with your last statement for sure.  But look at the receivers he was throwing to and how their careers have turned out.   There was no Trey Palmer on that team, which people were trying to say Casey Thompson was basically HH but without Trey Thompson or running ability.  

2021 CT proves that to be false.  And that’s all I was getting across 

Agreed.

I think a couple people here like you said have wanted to make Thompson seem like this lesser player to cope with Haarberg's & Sims' results. From my eyeball test and stats across the board I see Thompson to be more of the "pass-first" kind of guy that this program needed. No, I'm not saying things like "we definitely are 8-2 if Thompson is on the team." Those kinds of statements are silly.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

I think a couple people here like you said have wanted to make Thompson seem like this lesser player to cope with Haarberg's & Sims' results. From my eyeball test and stats across the board I see Thompson to be more of the "pass-first" kind of guy that this program needed. No, I'm not saying things like "we definitely are 8-2 if Thompson is on the team." Those kinds of statements are silly.

I would be so happy to have Thompson back right now.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be so happy to have Thompson back right now.

I don't really get this. Maybe people are seeing something I'm not, but our offense all season has pretty much only worked with the qb run game or threat of the qb run game. It's responsible for almost every single big chunk play we've had all season, so without it, I don't see how our offense would be moving the ball at all.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I don't really get this. Maybe people are seeing something I'm not, but our offense all season has pretty much only worked with the qb run game or threat of the qb run game. It's responsible for almost every single big chunk play we've had all season, so without it, I don't see how our offense would be moving the ball at all.

The crazy amount of missed open receivers, crappy pass attempts to open receivers they actually do see, and the coaches having to only run the most rudimentary of pass plays has hampered this offense way more than most realize.  

• Plus1 2