Trev is in over his head

corncraze

39 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

There’s 2 or 3 coaches max that could change the roster the way Sanders did. Heck maybe only Deion himself. So the response is to piss and moan all over the place because we didn’t get one of the few coaches that could even think about pulling that maneuver? And then it gets put in a thread about Trev being in over his head? Bulls#!t. I understand being unhappy with our results for the last two decades but I think all these threads b!^@hing because Rhule isn’t Sanders are ridiculous. Deion will be at CU for about 3 years max (same as he would’ve been at NU). Personally I’m not a fan of the look at me Prime approach even if it is yielding short term results.

Here’s an idea. Anybody that loves Deion that much can become a CU fan. The rest of us will get over it.

Look at their schedule. 7-5 would be impressive. They will be humbled and then self destruct. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Ah yes, the highly accomplished and highly respected athletic director who conducted a thorough and methodical search involving an outside firm that specializes in expertise in analytics in regards to coaching hires is...*checks notes* oh right, in over his head. Of course, checks out. No idiocy detected in that assessment at all.

/s

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

Even if Rhule doesn't work out, this absolutely is not on Trev, who has done everything on his end so far exactly as I would want a good athletic director to do. He doesn't take bs, he is all business, he doesn't care if its his buddy that has a position, either put up results or get lost. It's been a while since we had such an AD.

And if you see my other posts, you know I'm very much not an understanding type, so take what I say seriously here: Trev is not the problem. Not one bit. Can that change in the future? Sure. But right now, I don't see anything that has concerned me, nothing where I'm like "What the hell was that?"

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, TGHusker said:

Trev, IMHO, is the best AD we've had in a couple of decades and yes that includes better than Tom.  He is professional, analytical, and loyal to the brand. 

I agree. Trev is a good AD, and is certainly much better than Bill Moos.

That being said, he hired a coach with the strategy that they would try and take players that aren't very talented or rated very highly and "develop" them into a good football product. It's a dangerous strategy - if it doesn't work, years of bad football players pile up and it becomes all that much more difficult to correct.

That being said, the reality of Nebraska is that they probably can't recruit enough talent no matter who they hire and they have no choice but to go the route of "development". Trev knows the recruiting limitations of Nebraska and the caliber of player they can realistically recruit. This is coming from probably the most negative poster in the recruiting forums who regularly complains about the quality of players Nebraska is bringing into the program. It just isn't good enough.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

That being said, he hired a coach with the strategy that they would try and take players that aren't very talented or rated very highly and "develop" them into a good football product. It's a dangerous strategy - if it doesn't work, years of bad football players pile up and it becomes all that much more difficult to correct.

That being said, the reality of Nebraska is that they probably can't recruit enough talent no matter who they hire and they have no choice but to go the route of "development". Trev knows the recruiting limitations of Nebraska and the caliber of player they can realistically recruit. This is coming from probably the most negative poster in the recruiting forums who regularly complains about the quality of players Nebraska is bringing into the program. It just isn't good enough.

I agree, although I will note that winning is the best recruiting tool. So I can live with this system if we see improvement. I admit, I am more optimistic on recruiting. There are limits, but I think you can get talent anywhere. Yeah, a lot of guys won't go for the location, but not every guy is that way. Nebraska pulled star recruits when it was great. So I am not as worried about recruiting long term if you can show that you're building a program.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gorp512 said:
17 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

How many quick turnarounds have we seen that didn't bring a QB from a previous school? 

Texas, Illinois. UCF under Frost 

These schools initial "rebuild" seasons had win totals of 5, 5, and 6 games for what it's worth. That's still well within reach here, although I will admit I was hoping for more which now seems unlikely (or at least to beat Colorado).

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The bold is and has always been our issue since Osborne retired.  His reputation alone brought in many top notch recruits but we haven't had a coach come near his level since.  If Rhule can somehow get this turned around by year 3, then I think we will see a higher level recruit and portal transfer that will allow us to become a playoff contender by year 5 (hopefully).  But it is a hard crawl to get there with the new Big 10 competition.  OSU, Michigan, USC, PSU - 4 blue bloods, plus Wiscy, UCLA, Washington, Oregon - not to mention teams like Minni and the Ditch Chickens who have beaten us regularly over the past 10 years.  It will be a climb to become a playoff contender.  

• Fire 1