Sims vs HH

ndobney

Flip a coin eleven times. One side is Sims. The other, Haarberg. The one with the most gets the first series. He's the "starter". They alternate thereafter. (Ha)

If that's not working by the fourth, put Chubba in as QB with Haarberg a receiver and Sims a running back. Okay, that might not be a hot idea either...We'll probably wind up with two or three of them injured then what...

8 hours ago, M.A. said:

...We'll probably wind up with two or three of them injured then what...

I'd like to work up some stats on injuries "these days" vs "in the olden days," especially wrt the QB position and especially Husker football.  .... Okay I'd like to see some stats. 

It seems like we get a lot of that.. oh hell I don't know.  I'll geegle around... er, google.  Gaagle?  Maybe there's an article about it somewhere. 

47 minutes ago, Hagg said:

I'd like to work up some stats on injuries "these days" vs "in the olden days," especially wrt the QB position and especially Husker football.  .... Okay I'd like to see some stats. 

It seems like we get a lot of that.. oh hell I don't know.  I'll geegle around... er, google.  Gaagle?  Maybe there's an article about it somewhere. 

Short answer is there are a a variety of competing explanations as can be imagined. In some instances there can be overuse issues. The body not having sufficient recovery periods incorporated within the year. Nutrition could be a contributing factor. I’d argue that there are psychological and postural considerations as well. Different kinds of stressors might aid in injury prevention (Participating in more than one sport or having hobbies that complement what the person typically does). The mind body aspect can’t be underestimated. Our modern lifestyle effects, etc.

There are many considerations. Sometimes it’s unique to the individual while there are more common contributors influencing athletes as a whole or themes that broadly apply. 

• Plus1 1

There's something to be said about comparing apples to apples in this situation; Sims has two starts against P5 competition, while Haarberg's start was against a G5 school. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah.

Both have issues that prevent them from being accurate on long balls.  They might be different issues for each player...but they both have issues.

But one of them is better than the other at this point in time. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

There's something to be said about comparing apples to apples in this situation; Sims has two starts against P5 competition, while Haarberg's start was against a G5 school. 

Sims 2 starts were on the road as well, Haarberg at home. People greatly underestimate that.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I’m in the camp that thinks Sims is the better QB in most metrics. His ceiling is much higher because of what he is capable of doing. It’s fairly obvious (so far anyway) that HH’s ceiling is lower. But the turnovers are a trump card. I think Sims starts whenever he is physically capable but he needs to ride the pine in any game before he can commit turnover number 3. Two and he’s out and, if he hits that wall in a few consecutive games, then he needs to slide on down the depth chart no matter his skill set. Unforced turnovers can’t be acceptable.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m in the camp that thinks Sims is the better QB in most metrics. His ceiling is much higher because of what he is capable of doing. It’s fairly obvious (so far anyway) that HH’s ceiling is lower. But the turnovers are a trump card. I think Sims starts whenever he is physically capable but he needs to ride the pine in any game before he can commit turnover number 3. Two and he’s out and, if he hits that wall in a few consecutive games, then he needs to slide on down the depth chart no matter his skill set. Unforced turnovers can’t be acceptable.

I agree with pretty much everything here, I'd just say Sims has the higher ceiling currently. Haarberg's physical tools are not light-years behind Sims, he just needs some more time. I am glad Haarberg got to show he can do some things now though, it does make it easier to switch it up if Sims does continue to struggle.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

I'm not willing to say Sims has a higher ceiling.  He's started 23 games in his career?  And HH has now started one?  

Sims should have enough experience to handle being on the road in places like Minny and CU.  With 23 starts, he should not be making the unforced errors that killed our chances to win those games.

HH didn't do those mistakes in his first game.

Could Sims beat HH in a foot race?  Probably.  But, that's not the #1 job of the QB.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not willing to say Sims has a higher ceiling.  He's started 23 games in his career?  And HH has now started one?  

Sims should have enough experience to handle being on the road in places like Minny and CU.  With 23 starts, he should not be making the unforced errors that killed our chances to win those games.

HH didn't do those mistakes in his first game.

Could Sims beat HH in a foot race?  Probably.  But, that's not the #1 job of the QB.

It's more than foot speed, it's throwing ability as well. Haarberg has a cannon that he's still learning to control - Sims is not exactly surgical, but he's better at the moment. You can argue Haarberg has made better decisions, but we were able to really limit what he was asked to decide against NIU and Sims didn't have that luxury.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's more than foot speed, it's throwing ability as well. Haarberg has a cannon that he's still learning to control - Sims is not exactly surgical, but he's better at the moment. You can argue Haarberg has made better decisions, but we were able to really limit what he was asked to decide against NIU and Sims didn't have that luxury.

23 starts

1 start

There should be a difference in what they are able to do.  But....one didn't make mistakes and the other one did.

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Sims 2 starts were on the road as well, Haarberg at home. People greatly underestimate that.

TBH I think most people are perceptibly aware of and acknowledge that playing a G5 school at home is a bit different than playing two power 5 teams on the road, particularly a ranked one, when it comes to comparing HH vs. Sims.

I think what's pushing people is that HH played competently and didn't turn the ball over, and he did it against a type of team that Nebraska has lost to several times in recent years. So, it's definitely not an apples to apples comparison, but I also think most people appreciate the competition and situations Sims played in. They just don't like that he looked bad doing it.

• Plus1 2