Emmett Johnson

jamrinelli

13 minutes ago, jamrinelli said:

I read that Fleeks moved to RB today, has anyone heard what’s up with Emmett Johnson? I read that he was gonna get reps last week, but didn’t see him at all! We tan the piss out of AG and we saw last year what that does to him. 

Emmett Johnson played he just didn't get many carries. With injuries to Ervin and Rahmir they need more bodies in the RB room and Fleeks has some experience at RB so makes sense to put him in the RB room.

12 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Emmett Johnson played he just didn't get many carries. With injuries to Ervin and Rahmir they need more bodies in the RB room and Fleeks has some experience at RB so makes sense to put him in the RB room.

Especially when he's played some RB before, and may be better equipped to pick up the pass blocking schemes than a freshman like Ives. I expect Emmett will still be the #2, but we need all the depth we can get and Fleeks is immediately the biggest body in our RB room. Which is not ideal.

1 hour ago, jamrinelli said:

I read that Fleeks moved to RB today, has anyone heard what’s up with Emmett Johnson? I read that he was gonna get reps last week, but didn’t see him at all! We tan the piss out of AG and we saw last year what that does to him. 

Remember that play where HH tried to dump it off to the RB and the LA tech LB lit him up??? That was Emmet

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Especially when he's played some RB before, and may be better equipped to pick up the pass blocking schemes than a freshman like Ives. I expect Emmett will still be the #2, but we need all the depth we can get and Fleeks is immediately the biggest body in our RB room. Which is not ideal.

Rhule to Fleeks in August - Lose weight or you can't play!

Rhule to Fleeks in September - Hey, you should head over to the training table and have 4 more steaks ok? Thanks.

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what Johnson can do until HH fixes his throwing motion.  I'm kidding.

The one thing that Johnson does that I think separates him is he hits the line of scrimmage quickly.  Far faster than anyone else currently seeing action.  I like Grant's style, but he has a lot of hesitation in the backfield.  I think Grant could be pretty special if he just hit the line quickly.  Johnson does that.

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I like what we saw with Johnson in the NW game.  I don't see many more yards he left on the field.  There's a few that I think he could have gotten more if he was faster, but I like how he makes one cut (when appropriate) and gets up field.  

Another thing I noticed about his runs is he tends to fall forward when being tackled, helping us gain 1-2 extra yards. For example, his run at the 0:25 mark of this video he gets hit hard at the 34, yet somehow makes it to the 36. These yards build up and really help a 3rd and medium become a 3rd and short. In short, I love how he finishes through contact.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I like what we saw with Johnson in the NW game.  I don't see many more yards he left on the field.  There's a few that I think he could have gotten more if he was faster, but I like how he makes one cut (when appropriate) and gets up field.  

I agree. He seems really decisive when hitting the hole and seems to have a quick first step and some burst. It's hard for me to tell if he lacks speed though.

I noticed that he's really trying to protect the ball in these clips. The ball is being held high and tight which is the most obvious at the long run around the 50 second mark of the clip. Other times he uses both arms to secure the ball just before contact. You can tell he's trying to emphasize ball security. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
On 10/24/2023 at 8:43 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I thought he did a good job too, but I think he left a couple bigger runs out there on the 2 counters starting at 9 seconds in the video. It's quite possibly the TEs (Boerkricher?) fault, but both times I think a little more patience from Emmett would have allowed the second puller to handle the guy who ends up making first contact. On the first play Emmett gets through him anyway and maybe the TE is doing what he was supposed to, but if he's totally clean getting up to the safety he might score. And the second one he gets stuffed where there was a lot of space on the second level, and the TE is just kinda waiting to seal the guy Emmett ran right into.

Again, could be the TEs fault. Maybe being more "patient" allows somebody else to come free for a TFL. And maybe he's specifically taught to press upfield ASAP and it's just a scheme thing to avoid TFLs on counters. But on the rewatch, those are the 2 I noticed where they could have hit bigger - and I'm sure we'll make some adjustments regardless of who should have done something differently.