Memory Lane - excessive noise penalty

knapplc

I'm chatting with Jack Mitchell (local radio guy) about excessive noise penalties in Husker games. He and I both remember the Huskers being penalized because the Memorial Stadium crowd was too loud during an opponent's offensive possession. 

My recollection was that the opposing QB went under center, tried calling the play, but then backed up and shrugged at the ref because the crowd was too loud for him to be heard. I also recollect that the ref talked to Osborne, the QB went back under center and we got louder. 

At that point the refs threw a flag. The crowd booed. 

My questions:

Does anyone else remember this happening? I seem to recall the Memorial Stadium crowd being penalized at least twice (I was there for one of them). Jack recalls this as well.

Does anyone remember what the infraction was? Unsportsmanlike Conduct? Delay of Game?

How did they penalize Nebraska? Loss of a timeout? Yardage? 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm chatting with Jack Mitchell (local radio guy) about excessive noise penalties in Husker games. He and I both remember the Huskers being penalized because the Memorial Stadium crowd was too loud during an opponent's offensive possession. 

My recollection was that the opposing QB went under center, tried calling the play, but then backed up and shrugged at the ref because the crowd was too loud for him to be heard. I also recollect that the ref talked to Osborne, the QB went back under center and we got louder. 

My questions:

Does anyone else remember this happening? I seem to recall the Memorial Stadium crowd being penalized at least twice (I was there for one of them). Jack recalls this as well.

Does anyone remember what the infraction was? Unsportsmanlike Conduct? Delay of Game?

Yep.  Happened at some Bronco games too and a few other NFL games.

5 yarder, if I remember.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

My questions:

I want to say Washington 1991.  I remember it being a night game and happening in the north stadium.

Pretty sure it was a 5 yarder for delay of game.

Here is the full game on YouTube if you want to do some research

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I always thought that was such a stupid penalty. What's the point of having a home field advantage if the team is penalized for the crowd being too loud? I do remember that Elway would do this a lot and get away with penalties being called against the other team. The other fans would be pissed, and just get louder, resulting in another penalty. Always made me chuckle. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

16 studies were identified and reviewed in tandem with 32 studies previously reviewed by Clark & Paunovic (2018). A meta-analysis from 3 studies found that reading comprehension scores in quiet classrooms were 0.80 (95% confidence interval: 0.40; 1.20) points higher than children in noisier classrooms. Meta-analysis of the impact of 1 dB (dB) increase in environmental noise on reading and language abilities gave a pooled beta coefficient of −0.11(95% confidence interval: −0.32; 0.10). A meta-analysis of Odds Ratios (OR) from 3 studies found higher odds of cognitive impairment in people aged 45 + with higher residential noise exposure (OR 1.40, 95% CI: 1.18;1.61). After qualitative synthesis of remaining studies, there was high quality evidence for an association between environmental noise and cognitive impairment in middle-to-older adults, moderate quality evidence for an association between aircraft noise and reading and language in children, and moderate quality evidence against an association between aircraft noise and executive functioning in children. Generally the literature was supportive for other cognitive outcomes, but with low or very low-quality evidence.

The evidence so far suggests that noise exposure is associated with cognition, but more good quality research using standardised methodology is required to corroborate these results and to allow for precise risk estimation by larger meta-analyses. There is also a need for more research with older teenagers and young-to-middle aged adults, on the synergistic effects of noise and air pollution, and in Africa, Central and South America, South Asia and Australasia.

Sorry, heres a brief on the synopsis 

How does this affect Peter Jackson's legacy?

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1