What did we learn Michigan Game

5 minutes ago, commando said:

husker fans telling our young players to leave.  :facepalm:

I'd tell them the complete opposite.  Come here and start almost immediately.  Be a part of the rebirth.  Like a phoenix form the ashes.  We don't hit the portal to replace you.....Although the slow build approach will be hard with kids IMHO.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

One thing I'm surprised I haven't seen more of is how much it hurt to see the guy who should have been the centerpiece of our defense running around tackling like a Blackshirt for the Wolverines. Hauseman could've been the guy to build a defense around for four full years. Stung everytime I saw him out there.

Casey Rogers has done well at Oregon.  Be nice to have had him stay as well.  (I know he's been gone 2 years now).

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Public Service Announcement.

Problem-

How to show people that you don’t understand how NIL really works and that you have no idea what Nebraska is or isn’t doing in regards to NIL spending.

Solution-

Assume that Nebraska is not doing all they can with NIL based only on the team still not winning to your liking and that Dylan Raiola went elsewhere. Also completely ignore the fact that high on the 4* and 5* player’s list, in addition to money, is that they want to win, play for a contender and not get killed playing behind an inept OL.  For bonus points, get extra pissy and adamant about all the “resources” that Nebraska has while ignoring that almost all other D1 schools can bring similar levels of resources to bear.

Hey bro, I'm a booster now.  I can say whatever I want.

6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Along with DB’s, WR’s, Tackles, Guards, Centers, and……with all the advantages of the NFL.   People change and get better or they don’t.   Doesn’t alter the fact that change was needed.  

Wtf are you talking about. It's not about what is needed. It's about what is possible. None of those other positions are QB and comparing general improvement to fixing a QBs mechanics is just false equivalency. If fixing a QB could just be done then NFL and College would be full of good ones. Your examples out of all the QBs that have failed out of the NFL are one that is a collosal bust and got traded for peanuts after spending 3 1sts on him and a QB who had already threw for 700 yards in a game in college and did not need huge changes. 

HH could slowly improve over years possibly, but that would take much more time than a college coach has with a player so it would have to be done on his own in the off-season. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, runningblind said:

Hey bro, I donated. What's your excuse?

My excuse is, I understand there are limits to what NIL can accomplish and, until proven otherwise, I will assume that our NIL collectives and big time donors are doing all they can and, since it is not my money, I won’t cast aspersions on what they are doing.

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 4
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

My excuse is, I understand there are limits to what NIL can accomplish and, until proven otherwise, I will assume that our NIL collectives and big time donors are doing all they can and, since it is not my money, I won’t cast aspersions on what they are doing.

That's a fair assessment.  It's also fair to say this is big business and they're not above criticism either.  No we don't have all the details, I just see the end result so far and am entitled to my opinion which is currently a bit negative.  We were led to believe this could be an equalizer for us, we are led to believe a lot of things, and I want to see that bear fruit. That's all.  Paying the current players is all well and good, but if things don't improve we are just paying more for the same results as before NIL.

Just now, RedDenver said:

You always could. Everyone else can say whatever they want about what you've said.

Never said they couldn't.  I welcome the discussion, that's the reason I'm here.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

That's a fair assessment.  It's also fair to say this is big business and they're not above criticism either.  No we don't have all the details, I just see the end result so far and am entitled to my opinion which is currently a bit negative.  We were led to believe this could be an equalizer for us, we are led to believe a lot of things, and I want to see that bear fruit. That's all.  Paying the current players is all well and good, but if things don't improve we are just paying more for the same results as before NIL.

Fair enough. I just have a couple problems with the whole deal. 1- I have my doubts that Nebraska actually has more resources for NIL than most of our competitors. I think the extent to which it can help Nebraska more than some other programs is simply relative to our inate recruiting disadvantages. I’m sure we have our share of ultra wealthy donors who are willing to write checks but I don’t think it’s anywhere near that simple. And 2- I think the results we are all hoping to see are much more complicated to achieve than simply outspending other programs. Dumping ridiculous sums of money on NIL can help provide more opportunity to get the type of players we need but it in no way guarantees results. We still have to coach, develop players and manage the roster.

I think the bigger impact can be had by developing players and winning with what can get now. Winning begets winning and no amount of limited NIL resources (and there is a limit) will overcome the handicap of trying to get top players to come play for a losing program. We have to win first, we can’t just buy the stairway to heaven.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

A big part of that is doing a better job with NIL.

Can you define "doing better with NIL?"

2 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

Sure, they’re paying players, but we need to be paying better players.

So is your theory that somebody was like "these guys are good enough - we shouldn't go after better players."

Or is it that we could have spent more money while still being within the rules but just didn't because we didn't think of that?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Fair enough. I just have a couple problems with the whole deal. 1- I have my doubts that Nebraska actually has more resources for NIL than most of our competitors. I think the extent to which it can help Nebraska more than some other programs is simply relative to our inate recruiting disadvantages. I’m sure we have our share of ultra wealthy donors who are willing to write checks but I don’t think it’s anywhere near that simple. And 2- I think the results we are all hoping to see are much more complicated to achieve than simply outspending other programs. Dumping ridiculous sums of money on NIL can help provide more opportunity to get the type of players we need but it in no way guarantees results. We still have to coach, develop players and manage the roster.

I think the bigger impact can be had by developing players and winning with what can get now. Winning begets winning and no amount of limited NIL resources (and there is a limit) will overcome the handicap of trying to get top players to come play for a losing program. We have to win first, we can’t just buy the stairway to heaven.

You are spot on that we must develop, no argument there. Other programs have done that to great success. I think it could speed things along to have better quality materials to develop, if you will. I don't think anyone can buy a championship, agree there.

You may very well be right that we truly don't have more resources than our competitors, and if that's the case, our ceiling will be what we can develop the current level of recruit to be.  That's fine if that's the case, I just don't like smoke being blown up my bonnet. I get they have to market and hype the product, but I'd love some honest information once in a while.

I appreciate the back and forth.