Potential Assistant coach change(s)

12 hours ago, zero_blitz said:

If you're going to bring him in, I just don't see how it would make sense as an analyst, unless that's all he wants.

That's not uncommon for ex-HCs. They're still getting paid big bucks by their old schools, and Holgorsen had just been given a new contract before this season so he's set for years. And being an analyst is a hell of a lot less of a grind than HC is.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

The pay really good! 

See that's the thing! Your old school is still paying you an offset of your original coaching contract based on what you make in your new gig. So, it's like you're still making a head coaching salary! Bo knows!

• TBH 2
18 hours ago, Red Five said:

I have no info, but wondering if this is as an analyst while he collects his buyout.

Dana doesn’t seem to be the type of grinder that Rhule looks for in his assistants.

I’m just curious- what are you basing this off of? Age? Lol

My guess is he’s coming in as QB coach/possibly assistant OC and Satt  owns OC and maybe TE’s.

as far as grinder goes, don’t think the demands for a sole qb coach are that high recruiting wise when you have an incoming 5 star. 

15 hours ago, brophog said:

The downside as an on the field coach is Holgorsen really hates recruiting.

It would be an enormous shot in the arm for this offense though, as this staff desperately needs to completely restructure this passing game. Whatever role he takes, it'll be a big influence because the Air Raid brings a structured approach that, imo, Satterfield has always lacked.

Some may be wondering how the Air Raid matches with Rhule's stated offensive philosophy, and to that I'll say to look at Michigan. A lot of their passing game is based on Air Raid concepts. You don't need 4 tiny wide receivers to utilize this approach it just started that way because the Air Raid, like most offensive systems, was designed to solve roster limitations at a school that didn't recruit the way the bigger schools did.

Whatever role he ultimately takes, it will help solve the biggest problem this offense had last year: rhythm and timing. Our passing concepts had no sense of timing in their progressions and the QBs often held the ball, way, way longer than you can realistically expect to block. That's literally the problem the Air Raid was designed to solve.

How much recruiting is he going to have to realistically do if he’s just the QB coach?  Incoming 5 star- perhaps he didn’t like recruiting as a head coach but that demand diminishes greatly if you’re just a sole position coach

3 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

What can an analyst do or not do?

sideslines?

headset?

sit in booth?

recruit?

attend practice?

They've talked about expanding the things that an analyst can do, but as of now they can't really have much direct interaction with the players.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

3 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

What can an analyst do or not do?

sideslines?

headset?

sit in booth?

recruit?

attend practice?

On 1/10/2023 at 10:16 AM, Gage County said:

Here's an interview with Ted Monachino, an analysis at Missouri at the time. It's behind St Louis Today's paywall so here's a 12ft ladder link.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stltoday.com%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2Fmizzou%2Fwhat-s-an-analyst-do-on-a-college-football-staff%2Farticle_8641f742-c227-5c57-9d0e-22514a089ad3.html

It's from Oct 2018. I don't know how (or if) the rules have changed since then.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Decked said:

Analyst role to try and coach up Satt and modernize his offense/blend some concepts in just really seems to make sense to me. Tutoring him if you will.

Just hire him as the OC and get it over with!  AT this level, an OC should not need to be 'coached up' or tutored.  IF so, then the wrong guy is OC.

• TBH 4
On 1/5/2024 at 1:36 PM, Toe said:

Looks like tomorrow will probably be the last game for the Steelers, unless they manage to sneak into the playoffs. Rhule will be at the AFCA convention from the 7th through 10th, where he's a featured speaker this year. If the rumors about Glenn Thomas are true, maybe we'll hear something late next week?

The Jacksonville Jaguars made the decision to not be winners today, so Pittsburgh's season will continue a bit longer.

• TBH 1