Illinois - What Did We Learn

6 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I believe that a Best Case Scenario has a six win season ON THE LINE when we play Iowa.

We're a .500 team right now, and out of our next three opponents, one is at that mark and two are below it. Best case scenario has us bowl eligible well before we play Iowa.

We might be a seriously flawed team, but we've got a lot of other seriously flawed teams on the schedule this year...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 5

5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

He has 12 receptions on the year.  That’s 2 per game.   And last night 2 of the targets should have been intercepted.   Yes I think they can improve on scheming to get their best receiving weapon the ball more.  

He was targeted 6 times. Caught 3. I believe two of those he was open but HH had a bad throw. That’s not bad scheming. That’s just bad throws. The scheme got him open. 

Kelce was targeted 30% of the time last week. With Nebraska’s 24 passes, that would be just one more target to Fidone. 

So, are you saying we should pass a lot more so we can get him the ball more?  Or, would that one more target per game make you happy?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He was targeted 6 times. Caught 3. I believe two of those he was open but HH had a bad throw. That’s not bad scheming. That’s just bad throws. The scheme got him open. 

Kelce was targeted 30% of the time last week. With Nebraska’s 24 passes, that would be just one more target to Fidone. 

So, are you saying we should pass a lot more so we can get him the ball more?  Or, would that one more target per game make you happy?

In order to get the number of touches for all of NU’s skill players to make everyone happy, while also having the right mix of run-pass ratio, NU would basically need to run 100 plays a game on offense. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

30 minutes ago, Madcows said:

Biggest takeaway from the game, we are an average offense away from being a good team.

I don't know that we even have to be all that much better of an offense overall.  We just need to be able to get TDs once we get in the red zone.  That alone would boost our scoring average by almost a TD per game.

Of course, that's kind of been the problem for the last several years, so....

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

With the lack of depth and returning talent at WR, and the injury’s to the RB’s, the coaching staff should try and get Fidone 8-10 targets a game.  

Am I saying we should try and get Fidone the ball more?  Well, ya.   I think almost everyone on this site thinks that.  And if they don’t, they should.  

Would one more target per game make me happy?  Yes and it should make you happier too!  Two more targets per game would make me even happier!   

I can’t also figure out why you said it’s “not bad scheming”.  No one claimed that? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

1. Bert B looks like he's gained another 50#, and better stop before he catches up with Mark Mangino.

2. HH is the best QB we have, and should finish the season as our starting QB. He shouldn't be starting, but he's better than anyone else on the roster.

3. Injuries are killing us, again.

4. O-line still needs to be upgraded.

5. Defense would be amazing if we had a few 5 stars at certain positions.

• TBH 2

38 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Watching what Michigan is doing to Minnesota tonight gave me perspective on last week, and this week.

We're not as bad as I thought, and Michigan is in the mix for the NC in a huge way.

And outside of Penn State and Ohio State, they've got a damn easy schedule this year. They opened the season with home games against East Carolina, UNLV, and Bowling Green. Like which of these do you think Rhule would've rather had on the schedule to start his tenure at Nebraska: those three at home, or back to back road games against P5 teams?

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

With the lack of depth and returning talent at WR, and the injury’s to the RB’s, the coaching staff should try and get Fidone 8-10 targets a game.  

Am I saying we should try and get Fidone the ball more?  Well, ya.   I think almost everyone on this site thinks that.  And if they don’t, they should.  

Would one more target per game make me happy?  Yes and it should make you happier too!  Two more targets per game would make me even happier!   

I can’t also figure out why you said it’s “not bad scheming”.  No one claimed that? 

Why can't we use him as a HB.  Have him run some wheel routes, delayed release into the flats etc...Use his size advantage.  Use his size to block and go.  Need to feed him as much as is practical.