What did we learn? Northwestern Version

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I also learned we have someone named James Williams on our team.

Gary Sharp on 1620 just had an interesting story about Williams on Big Red Overreaction.  Sharp said Williams was on the scout team all the way up until this week.  NU was bringing out a 5 d-linemen package for this week's game to get a better pass rush, and Knighton recommended they use Williams in that package. Williams was up for the challenge, and he looked good as a natural pass rusher.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

So you just didn't watch the first two games? He's just like Haarberg but without the ability to at least luck out and lead a scoring drive now and then.

I’ve also watched the last 5 games of HH. It’s not pretty.  We’d have the exact same record if Sims didn’t get hurt IMO.

Our offense needs a spark.  Maybe trying Sims for a drive or 2 would provide that.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

-The injuries on the offensive side of the ball are staggering. There are so many players out for the season it's not funny. 

-The Blackshirts won the game yet again. I'm okay with that. Defensive line can be dominating at times.

-Special teams are not where they need to be yet but they are getting a little more special every game. The one thing that is concerning for me is we have no return game whatsoever. 

-Haarberg didn't seem to have the focus he needed to today.

-Fidone hasn't played his best ball yet 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Micheal said:

-Special teams are not where they need to be yet but they are getting a little more special every game. The one thing that is concerning for me is we have no return game whatsoever. 

Special teams were up and down, even today.  Buscini had a great punt to flip the field in the 3rd quarter, and pinned NW at their 12 yard line on their last 2 drives.

Alvano drilled his FG, which was great to see.

Tommi Hill did have a very good kickoff return to the 36 yard line after Northwestern's first FG.  That helped start NU in good field position, which led to a tying FG.

• TBH 2

The only thing really learned was that there are far too many people that foolishly think NU wouldn't have the same record if SIms never got hurt.  They only played one Michigan and the 4 wins weren't against PSU, OSU Bama and Oregon.  Four wins against crap teams that the defense has won for the program.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
Just now, PaulCrewe said:

The only thing really learned was that there are far too many people that foolishly think NU wouldn't have the same record if SIms never got hurt.  They only played one Michigan and the 4 wins weren't against PSU, OSU Bama and Oregon.  Four wins against crap teams that the defense has won for the program.  

Yes, this is quite possible, but we don't know for a fact.

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I’ve also watched the last 5 games of HH. It’s not pretty.  We’d have the exact same record if Sims didn’t get hurt IMO.

Our offense needs a spark.  Maybe trying Sims for a drive or 2 would provide that.

Sorry did have to give you a minus 1 on that post

2 minutes ago, Vizsla1 said:

Winning gritty is better than losing pretty...I can not help but think of all the games we were losing by a score- we are winning those on occasion now...feels so much better than losing.  

For years, we heard Frost say “we just need to learn how to win,” and for the last 2 weeks, we have seen NU do it. I like his new alternative better.