What did we learn? Northwestern Version

33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m not sure what the solution to this problem is, but it’s probably something we will just have to try to survive the best we can this year. 

I mean the solution is to bring in an actual QB and move Haarberg to TE or something, but you know...

For those wondering about that James Williams guy... https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/scout-team-walk-on-james-williams-proves-sack-man-nickname-in-nebraska-debut/article_66fa3d33-8cbf-531d-a0d6-ad96ff35e89b.html

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My bad. Reading are hard. 

To the point you were making though, the play Coleman made underscores it; you get that long, burner receiver that beats a guy one on one and you throw the ball to him for a big play. The kid has a lot of potential and I'm really glad he chose to play for us and not go somewhere else.

We just need a QB that can scan the field and get the ball to guys like him, Fidone, and Kemp (who is of course now hurt).

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Toe said:

I mean the solution is to bring in an actual QB and move Haarberg to TE or something, but you know...

For those wondering about that James Williams guy... https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/scout-team-walk-on-james-williams-proves-sack-man-nickname-in-nebraska-debut/article_66fa3d33-8cbf-531d-a0d6-ad96ff35e89b.html

I agree with you on moving Haarberg to TE in the long term, which was the plan considering he was basically the 3rd string QB at the end of fall camp. My comment was for the remainder of this year. 

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I’ve also learned I’m a husker volleyball fan now. I’m wired for this game, haven’t felt this way for our football team since the Michigan game in 21 until 2am fumbled and then Oregon before then.

It's an awesome night in Lincoln tonight!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I learned that words cannot express how horrible our offense is. We have no QB and Rhule’s decision not to do everything in his power to keep Casey Thompson is coming back to bite us. Our defense got us our last two wins in spite of our offense. We cannot keep winning if our offense plays like they did today. If Rhule does not see that Satterfield and his offense are inept, then he is blind. Nothing about our offense is working from coaching to OL to QB to running backs. I know we suffered a lot of injuries but guys were dropping passes and passes were horribly thrown and many play calls were sad and pathetic. A fan in the stands could have called better plays than satterfield did today. The only thing in our favor is that the BIG West is pathetic all around. 

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I've learned that Nash Hutmacher has turned into a very good d-lineman.  I was down on him prior to this season.  It's good to see him get lighter, get quicker, and thrive in this scheme.

Not saying this is you but not nearly as many "Hutmacher should play offense" comments anymore either.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, soup said:

And wins and the mental learning for this team this year are priority nbr 1

Couldn't agree more. This is why I'm not too caught up in the style this year. Developing a winning culture and focusing on the process is way more important than worrying about how it looks, particularly for a program that has forgotten what it's like to win.

The style points will come once all of the foundation is set and built upon. All the good looking teams around the country only look good because they do the important things right, not because they want to just look good.

Also, this offense is made up of parts that make Frankenstein's monster look like a prom queen. Some people want to bemoan the loss of Casey Thompson and all sorts of other things but right now this offense is what it is.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 3

Not necessarily learned, but today confirmed that offensive line is not nearly as bad as many posters had expressed previously. The group is not filled with all-conference caliber talent, but they appear to be doing enough to give us a good shot at winning. The QB play behind them has been pitiful, but I've seen progress up front at least. Also impressed to see some of the backups step in and seem to maintain relative consistency.

Extra practices from a bowl season could do wonders in moving the line from average to good/great. I used to think they were overrated practices, but after not having them for 5+ years, it's becoming painful obvious how the extra work could help improve a lot of the younger guys.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve learned that despite playing 3 freshman wide receivers due to injuries yesterday(Coleman, Doss & Lloyd), 2 WR who didn’t play last year (Bullock, Hahn), a 4th & 5th string RB (Johnson, Fleeks), and a 3rd string QB at the start of the year, we are finding ways to win even if it is ugly.

Give credit to the staff for developing players to contribute in a pinch.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 6