What did we learn? Northwestern Version

24 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The play call wasn't a bad one, it took them off guard as they were fully expecting run. Haarberg is just not a QB, which really isn't fair to him either that he's the only one on the roster basically who can help right now.  Purdy has more potential as a passer (not sure exactly how MUCH more, but more), but he'd die behind our line since he isn't a runner.

I think Rhule's done a great job to date, but his one huge mistake so far was not getting a better QB on this roster.  The schedule has been ridiculously soft this year and it's a shame to not have a competent offense for the stretch run.

HH isn't a good thrower, but he didn't even need to hit Nate in stride, just float a ball in his general area and its still going for 50 (unless the other safety went center field at the snap). It's about him laser focusing on Fidone and then forcing the ball into him.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

HH isn't a good thrower, but he didn't even need to hit Nate in stride, just float a ball in his general area and its still going for 50 (unless the other safety went center field at the snap). It's about him laser focusing on Fidone and then forcing the ball into him.

Exactly, that's all part of being a QB and not just an athlete out there being asked to throw the ball.  His athleticism and focus could be a real asset for him as say another TE to go with Fidone.

I mean, Fidone had a good look. His route was also probably the first read on the play by design. Haarberg just threw a crap pass. It didn't looked forced to me. That play was almost assuredly scripted and practiced the entire week and I wager they probably felt it was going to work.

Given the fact HH isn't a great passer, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches aren't giving him very simple progressions and just banking on him throwing a good ball. And if the pass isn't there, tuck it and run. It's probably naïve on our part to expect anything more.

I think the more interesting conversation is about the play calling. That's now the 2nd or 3rd time this season where the first offensive play call of the game was an intermediate pass. Obviously, HH is going to need to make some of those, and he should've connected on this particular one. But geesh... can't help but feel like there's just better ways to get the offense in a rhythm. Maybe a play action rollout with an underneath crossing route to a TE. Or hell, maybe test the interior of one of the worst rushing defense in the B1G. It seems like there's a pretty strong desire to get HH in a rhythm early with these 10-15+ yard pass plays despite the fact they don't execute them particularly well.

It looks like in those two weeks off somebody told Haarberg to throw only bullets. He got worse. There's a thing called touch that all our quarterbacks need to learn. Firing a missile at every receiver isn't gonna get it done. The play calls have not been the problem because you see guys open everywhere. The only question is whether they should be called when you see the crap execution. The guys need to step up and play ball...at some point the players have to take ownership of the team and not expect the coaches to hold their hand on every play.

• TBH 1
7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think the more interesting conversation is about the play calling. That's now the 2nd or 3rd time this season where the first offensive play call of the game was an intermediate pass. Obviously, HH is going to need to make some of those, and he should've connected on this particular one. But geesh... can't help but feel like there's just better ways to get the offense in a rhythm. Maybe a play action rollout with an underneath crossing route to a TE. Or hell, maybe test the interior of one of the worst rushing defense in the B1G. It seems like there's a pretty strong desire to get HH in a rhythm early with these 10-15+ yard pass plays despite the fact they don't execute them particularly well.

Minnesota (Sims) - QB Sneak

Colorado (Sims) - Ervin Run

Northern Illinois - Haarberg Run

La Tech - Pass (Sack)

Michigan - Grant Run

Illinois - QB Sneak

Northwestern - Pass (INT)

So yeah 0-2 on execution, with both being pretty spectacular failures. I generally like taking a shot first play, usually the worst that happens is an incompletion and if you hit it you're off to a great start. I couldn't tell whether the La Tech one was open or not (and the back/OL just missed the LB blitzing when he saw the back stay in), but the NW one was. Open to the point, IMO, that if we aren't confident Haarberg can make that read/throw he shouldn't be starting. 

So I dunno, it's frustrating and I would also probably err toward the easier to execute plays you mentioned. But when other teams know that's what we're going to do it gets tough, and I'm assuming Haarberg can do it. So I'm not going to be upset if we come out throwing again. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

La Tech - Pass (Sack)

Michigan - Grant Run

Illinois - QB Sneak

So yeah 0-2 on execution, with both being pretty spectacular failures. I generally like taking a shot first play, usually the worst that happens is an incompletion and if you hit it you're off to a great start. I couldn't tell whether the La Tech one was open or not (and the back/OL just missed the LB blitzing when he saw the back stay in), but the NW one was. Open to the point, IMO, that if we aren't confident Haarberg can make that read/throw he shouldn't be starting. 

So I dunno, it's frustrating and I would also probably err toward the easier to execute plays you mentioned. But when other teams know that's what we're going to do it gets tough, and I'm assuming Haarberg can do it. So I'm not going to be upset if we come out throwing again. 

pretty crazy to think that 2 out of our first 6 plays have had to be QB sneak because we start on our own 1 yard line.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

La Tech - Pass (Sack)

Michigan - Grant Run

Illinois - QB Sneak

Well stated. Plus, particularly with the bolded part, I imagine it's a tough position for the coaches. We can safely assume much of the first drive of a game is scripted and they want to keep a defense on their toes. So, first play of the game, they're probably putting in something they have high confidence will work. And then it failed spectacularly. Probably a little bit of 'hands thrown up in the air' on something like that.

But yeah, that's where I fall back on what you said - probably err on the side of caution and go with something that's a little lower risk. We know this offense can't do much and is going to have to win ugly. IMO better to keep it ugly than to risk giving the opponent incredible field position 15 seconds into the game.

On 10/22/2023 at 7:52 AM, gobiggergoredder said:

Two games that were the first under an entirely new coaching staff for the program.  They are not even in the Minnesota game without Sims legs.

Its fine if they stick with HH, but wondering about the performance of Sims after everything has stabilized is not unreasonable in my opinion.

HH is not very good.  It’s likely Sims is not either, but it’d be interesting to see him get a series or two.  That being said, I trust the coaches are making the decision they feel gives them the best chance to win.

Haarberg gives the team a significantly better chance to win games.  It's not up for debate, really.  Pining for Sims to play only makes sense if you want Nebraska to lose.  

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Haarberg gives the team a significantly better chance to win games.  It's not up for debate, really.  Pining for Sims to play only makes sense if you want Nebraska to lose.  

I always love when people dig stuff up after someone takes a stance.  You’re also countering an argument I didn’t make.

I saw all I needed to.  Probably so did everyone else.  Sims shouldn’t take anymore snaps.

HH is not very good either.  He’s the best we got.  GBR.

• Plus1 1