What did we learn? Purdue edition

Red Five

10 hours ago, Undone said:

When we called two straight pass plays instead of hand-off's to Johnson there in the 4th, that was a bad coaching decision. And when Rhule put Sims in the game, that wound up being a pretty bad decision, too.

But we still put up 24 points on offense. We just keep finding ways to win, and Rhule gets the credit there in my opinion.

Then couple that with what happened next.  Not taking the punt that would of pinned an anemic Purdue offense at their 11 up by three scores with 6 minutes left was sketchy.  Instead we take the penalty and decided to go for it on 4th and one.  At that point I'm sort of ok with it but still why? 

But then we go shotgun with Sims in, an absolute fumble machine who makes Haarberg look like the ultimate game manager, and voila, we all collectively had a PTSD fit.  I don't get it sometimes.  Just win the game and save your practice for practice.  

I was at the game, so I couldn’t exactly tell, but was Haarberg shown in the injury tent when Sims was put in at QB. A woman near me in the stands, said the radio broadcast mentioned HH was in the injury tent, and that’s why Sims was in at QB for that drive. Either way, Sims looked tentative and error-prone again. We will need to hope that HH can make it thru the final 4 games of the regular season, and he can manage the offense just well enough to get around the 20 point make each game. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Earlier this year, I said that I just didn’t see why the coaches were so high on Hill. 

I’ve learned that I was wrong. He’s a very good player. 

Hill always had great talent, but it could never be harnessed. The coaches have helped him figure it out. I’m sure Hill playing with confidence also helps. 

• TBH 1
17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was at the game, so I couldn’t exactly tell, but was Haarberg shown in the injury tent when Sims was put in at QB. A woman near me in the stands, said the radio broadcast mentioned HH was in the injury tent, and that’s why Sims was in at QB for that drive. Either way, Sims looked tentative and error-prone again. We will need to hope that HH can make it thru the final 4 games of the regular season, and he can manage the offense just well enough to get around the 20 point make each game. 

In the post game press conference, he mentioned that after the big hit he took, his mouth was bleeding and couldn’t get it to stop.  I’m sure they were in the tent for that. Sims went in because of that. 

• Plus1 4

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In the post game press conference, he mentioned that after the big hit he took, his mouth was bleeding and couldn’t get it to stop.  I’m sure they were in the tent for that. Sims went in because of that. 

Thanks!  At least this will put the stop to “why isn’t Sims getting a series or two” when HH isn’t playing well. But, now I’m seeing that just move on to Purdy. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Offense:  

-Performance with a nearly new O line looks about the same as old line.  Hoping the old guys are the problem

-I like how Johnson runs down hill.

-still on the fence about Fidone.  He looks the part, but I question if he’s progressing like the rest of the team.

-2024 QB is not on the roster, but the job HH has done should be commended.

-my curiosity around Sims is over.  He’s terrible.

-Don’t think there were any false starts.

-In general, this team needs to stay out of 2nd and long (win first down)

Defense:

-What is there to say?  This team loses multiple games without this Defense.

General:

-Fumbles…good lord it’s bad.

• Plus1 1

As each week goes by it continues to be impressed upon me how crazy bipolar  this season could be with one change each way....

-with a top 30 QB and the defense doing what it’s currently doing this team is most likely a one loss team and ranked in the Top 20

–with a marginal defense and the offense doing what it has done (maybe the defense ranked a bit below the middle of the pack) it’s very possible this team is a one win team.  

• Plus1 3

Rhule is getting the whole team to play as a team.  Synergy is the term that comes to mind. The product is greater than the sum of its parts.  

A sign of good coaching - assembling a team, identifying capabilities and getting the most out of them.  Rhule has done very well so far - year 1.  Got a ways to go but the Huskers are starting to get the respect from opponents.  We are no longer laughing stock.  Some teams may wish we were not on their schedule.  

I think this is going as Rhule has planned, maybe slightly better.  First you have to earn the right to be respected.  That gives you a fighting chance.  Then you play harder than you ever thought you could.  You work your butts off every day.  

The intensity is there. The focus is there. The teamwork and camaraderie is there.  The effort.  After just 7 games, those are clearly signs of progress.   He is building depth, getting youth blended in quicker than any prior coaches, and getting a good dose of confidence with humility. There are no selfish players - it’s we, us, the room, the mutual support, etc.  

Frankly, there are no stars - yet - but there some rising stars all over.  Not sure how much better most of the older guys can get, but the young ones are showing incredible upside potential. Years 2 and 3 can be much more like Husker football the way it should be.  

I am a proud run the damn ball guy and a strong believer in the option game.  We see what it could be IF we have players taught to execute it well.  These guys have enough to tease opponents - imagine what a well schooled team can do with serious repetition and more than four or five simple plays.   It’s been the best of a not very effective offense with a variety of plays, schemes, formations etc. 

HH / Simms have shown they are NOT throwers.  Both have decent running ability but ball handling is downright scary at times.  But, the revolving doors at WR and RB have really played a part.  Both QBs are struggling and frustrated - presumably- with lack of success offensively.  Patience has to be paramount but at this point, both QBs want so much to help the team. I think focus on trying to succeed overshadows focus on fundamentals.  Thus fumbles and INTs. 

Penalties are trending better but aggression and effort have continued.  A very good indicator - this bunch is getting better.  Yesterday, we watched plenty of things to work on and complain about but the final score looks damn good to me.  An ugly win but a handsome score!  Purdue is not that bad. Nobody in the Big Ten is ‘that bad’.  Long way to go but in about a month, this season will tell us how far we have come.   I suspect we are headed in the right direction!   Be patient and cheer for the Huskers.  Things are looking up. We may find that this new and improved team can make us proud fans once again!   No

matter how many more wins we scratch and claw our way to, our opponents are going to remember who they played!  GBR!

• Plus1 2
  • Enhance changed the title to What did we learn? Purdue edition