****Michigan State Game Day Thread****

2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Agreed. Powerful men in smoke filled back rooms determined our fate. Refs were told to ‘make it look good’, hence the close final score. 

Actually it would probably be the other way around.  The B1G should be pushing for NU to get calls and get bowl eligible.  Fans will probably swarm to where ever they could go since it has been a minute since they could.  Conferences get a cut of said bowl game, and IF/WHEN NU goes bowling, that game/city is going to make bank

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The touchdown pass as well. The guys in the booth and the rules expert all said it was incomplete. Take that off the board, maybe they still score. Maybe we hold them to a FG.

True! That one was only less-frustrating to me because it looked like we might have gotten away with some holding/PI there anyway so I figured "eh, maybe that evens things out on that play". But wow, bad officiating for sure. I usually am pretty lenient when it comes to judging the refs since throughout the game there's often a mixture of close calls going either direction, but a lot of those were just inexcusable.

• TBH 2
3 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Actually it would probably be the other way around.  The B1G should be pushing for NU to get calls and get bowl eligible.  Fans will probably swarm to where ever they could go since it has been a minute since they could.  Conferences get a cut of said bowl game, and IF/WHEN NU goes bowling, that game/city is going to make bank

Yeah, I don't think it's anything so nefarious. I think these refs are just bad at their jobs.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

The blatant missed face mask call in the first half. The td call. The blatant non passing interference call on the pass to Coleman. The fumble on the last possession. The terrible spot that didn't stop the clock, not a single holding call on their Oline (I generally dont track those any more because clearly Big Ten refs have been told holding doesnt happen against Nebraska). I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Doesn't absolve piss poor play, but the refs were clearly calling the game for Mich St.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
20 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

That last call doesn't excuse the crap show the offense once again put out for all to see

The result would be the same if it was reviewed and corrected.

And again HH's wonky throwing motion bites NU in the a$$ in a new way

This offense is not going to get better this year. Period. No need to feel sad about it. No need to complain about it. It is what it is. 

Bad reffing really screws with our offensive  strategy-which  is to occasionally take advantage of what the defense gives us. We cannot overcome bad reffing, so we lost. I think it’s amazing coaching that we’re even in these games as the talent is clearly not there.  Fought to the end 

• Plus1 2

We can blame refs all day long. I am not defending refs. They are incompetent and that is not going to change. However, we should not have been in that position to begin with. We had many opportunities to seize control of the game and we did not. We kept Michigan state in the game and we let them dictate the tempo. We lost thus game and not the refs. Everyone is happy with the “just win baby” until we don’t win. Our offense is a division III offense at best. We were lucky that the teams we played were bad. Our luck ran out and the end result is that we do not have a good team to keep winning close games. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The touchdown pass as well. The guys in the booth and the rules expert all said it was incomplete. Take that off the board, maybe they still score. Maybe we hold them to a FG.

There was also a possible OPI on the TD. The receiver clearly knocked Newsome out of coverage a couple steps before the ball arrived.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I think it’s amazing coaching that we’re even in these games as the talent is clearly not there.

This is what kills me every time I read a "fire ________ coach" post.

An army of Nick Saban clones couldn't coach this talent to more wins. This cupboard is bare.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1