What did we learn? Mich St version

Red Five

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

I rewatched the first quarter though the end of the touchdown drive.  They have not blitzed on a single pass play so far.  They did blitz on a couple of plays that turned out to be running plays, so perhaps that's the difference.  I'll continue checking after lunch.

I don't see a play at the 4:26 mark of that video.  But there were definitely a couple of times where he panicked early.

Odd...  it takes me right to the play being described...  HH has a pretty clean pocket and steps WAY up into a sack...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

Odd...  it takes me right to the play being described...  HH has a pretty clean pocket and steps WAY up into a sack...

That's wierd.  It took me to the HuskerOnline recap video.  At the 4:26 mark it was just the HOL guys talking with stats on the screen.  Maybe it got updated.

But the play there now is definitely one where he panicked.

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Any other week we'd be talking about a Nebraska team playing an entire game with ZERO penalties. 

If somebody looked up the last time that happened, I missed it. 

Yep. There's so much positive happening but a lot of people are missing it or just don't want to focus on it.

The thing about the constant dissecting of Haarberg's performances is that the guy was the backup coming into this season. I wish his passing acumen was higher but it just isn't. But nevertheless we just might pull off the best season we've had in 6 years.

If we were to get a good-to-great QB in here for next season this program might actually be pretty good again.

• TBH 9
20 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yep. There's so much positive happening but a lot of people are missing it or just don't want to focus on it.

The thing about the constant dissecting of Haarberg's performances is that the guy was the backup coming into this season. I wish his passing acumen was higher but it just isn't. But nevertheless we just might pull off the best season we've had in 6 years.

If we were to get a good-to-great QB in here for next season this program might actually be pretty good again.

What I don't get is we have almost no sample size for sims and we have a huge sample size for HH.

But it seems like HH can fumble, drop snaps, throw to the other team like it is his job and it is no big deal.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

The handwringing over HH does seem a little over the top. He was never meant to be the guy and assuredly won’t be next year. The only reason he’s the guy right now is because the current and previous staffs flat out whiffed on their QB management. He wasn’t the hand picked guy, he’s the guy that’s the best of a really bad bunch. Not to mention the monstrous lack of talent/starters around him, and he’s still on the cusp of leading Neb to its first bowl in 6 years. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
18 minutes ago, Undone said:

Oh yeah, I also forgot that we lost virtually every starting running back and receiver to season-ending injuries -- and they may not have been highly ranked to begin with. It's super easy to bash the OL, but they have been playing good enough for us to play better.

So definitely mitigating circumstances, but it's hard not to harp on Haarberg. It's the most important position in all team sports, and really unfortunate we are this weak at the position. In the past there'd be a highly recruited true or redshirt freshman who you could throw to the lions, see how he responds, and risk little to the immediate or long term future. I don't even know who those guys are on the roster and I'd still be tempted to start them over Chubba Purdy.

We will ride it out with Hendrick and hopefully get that sixth win.  I've honestly tried to give HH the benefit of the doubt, as he can occasionally make great plays, but he appears to be regressing and that's a bad sign. Big fan of Rhule so far, but I think he can take the heat for whiffing on the portal and not developing a better game manager at QB. 

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh yeah, I also forgot that we lost virtually every starting running back and receiver to season-ending injuries -- and they may not have been highly ranked to begin with. It's super easy to bash the OL, but they have been playing good enough for us to play better.

So definitely mitigating circumstances, but it's hard not to harp on Haarberg. It's the most important position in all team sports, and really unfortunate we are this weak at the position. In the past there'd be a highly recruited true or redshirt freshman who you could throw to the lions, see how he responds, and risk little to the immediate or long term future. I don't even know who those guys are on the roster and I'd still be tempted to start them over Chubba Purdy.

We will ride it out with Hendrick and hopefully get that sixth win.  I've honestly tried to give HH the benefit of the doubt, as he can occasionally make great plays, but he appears to be regressing and that's a bad sign. Big fan of Rhule so far, but I think he can take the heat for whiffing on the portal and not developing a better game manager at QB. 

Yeah, a lot of film out there on HH now.  That is making it even harder for him to do much.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What I don't get is we have almost no sample size for sims and we have a huge sample size for HH.

But it seems like HH can fumble, drop snaps, throw to the other team like it is his job and it is no big deal.

But Sims came into the Purdue game and was a complete mess. I don’t think Sims can be trusted to play at all.

Another thing is that with Haarberg keeping the #1 job “until he lost” he’s been getting most of the reps in practice and they have been working their game plan around HH, and doing what they think they can do to attack the defense with HH. If the coaches were going to make a change to Sims or Purdy, they would need to do it at the beginning of the week, so that new QB gets the bulk of the reps in practice. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Fru said:

The handwringing over HH does seem a little over the top. He was never meant to be the guy and assuredly won’t be next year. The only reason he’s the guy right now is because the current and previous staffs flat out whiffed on their QB management. He wasn’t the hand picked guy, he’s the guy that’s the best of a really bad bunch. Not to mention the monstrous lack of talent/starters around him, and he’s still on the cusp of leading Neb to its first bowl in 6 years. 

I think this has way more to do with the schedule than HH. You still have to win the games, which he has done, but the best win is… NW? 

I’m still waiting for some creativity on the offense. A trick play, a couple of wr sweeps, more TE action. But let’s run up the gut into a loaded box and pass on 3rd and long. 

• Plus1 2