Iowa Game What did we learn?

TGHusker

53 minutes ago, corncraze said:

So we’re just supposed to believe that three separate QBs are all TO machines with horrid decision-making? Getting the same performance from three completely different players sure seems like a coaching issue to me.

I've said for a long time that I believe a major factor to these "B grade" mobile QB's not getting better with their passing is that a good chunk of your practice time is spent running zone read & option run plays.

One would assume we go after a QB in the portal. I would hope we'd try to dial back the QB run game and get a guy who has FBS-level film of being a good passer.

If we can't do that and Purdy is the guy next year, yes I agree - coaching either comes in big or we're in trouble.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

So you are throwing Satterfield and Raiola in there together.  Do me a favor and go back and watch the year before Raiola got here and tell me he doesn't have the line playing better.   I'm not saying Satterfield is a good OC but OC's look a lot better when they have A: a QB who can get the ball near a WR and B: WR who can get open and... catch the ball.  What offense would you run with the players on O thise year?  Just curious.  Also Iowa could he a 10 win team this year and are gonna be looking for a new OC 

Our OC handpicked the QB that lead the NCAA in turnovers. Our staff did very little in the portal or JUCOs to address the holes on offense. And our OL is still atrocious (the PFF rankings support that - look at Turner scoring 0s in pass protection for multiple games). In my mind, our turnovers correlate with our OL performance. Bad protection means more picks. Not the only factor clearly - decision making by all 3 QBs was also awful, and that would likely be an indicator of coaching. Three completely different players all produce unprecedented TOs. If this wasn’t our team, I’m pretty sure all of us would view Satt as an awful OC. We could recognize how back Brian Ferentz was.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

I've said for a long time that I believe a major factor to these "B grade" mobile QB's not getting better with their passing is that a good chunk of your practice time is spent running zone read & option run plays.

One would assume we go after a QB in the portal. I would hope we'd try to dial back the QB run game and get a guy who has FBS-level film of being a good passer.

If we can't do that and Purdy is the guy next year, yes I agree - coaching either comes in big or we're in trouble.

Pretty much this.

I'd also add that it seems likely that when you're often playing games that come down to the last possession, not only are any mistakes magnified, it would be easy for the QBs to put added pressure on themselves to "make a play" and try to do more than they otherwise would/should.

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'd also add that it seems likely that when you're often playing games that come down to the last possession, not only are any mistakes magnified, it would be easy for the QBs to put added pressure on themselves to "make a play" and try to do more than they otherwise would/should.

Yeah.

One thing that's really crazy to me is that if we had the scoring average of the majority of the Frost years this season, we go at least 7-5. It's super pathetic that three very winnable games were tied at 10 points middle to late 4th quarter in the first place.

And the biggest reason for us not having more than 10 points up on the board by that point in those games was typically unforced errors in the previous 3.5 quarters.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

37 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I feel bad for Chubba...he tries so hard but just makes some game killer mistakes. I really do believe that he'll figure out how to stop making the boneheaded plays, you can see he's improved a lot already since he got here.

He needed to throw that last pass deep or just throw it away.  At worse in that situation maybe it gets picked deep on the sidelines.  The pass he did wasn't going to help our kicker against the wind even if it were a good pass and completed.  It seems with most QBs, once a turnover machine, always a turnover machine.

16 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

He needed to throw that last pass deep or just throw it away.  At worse in that situation maybe it gets picked deep on the sidelines.  The pass he did wasn't going to help our kicker against the wind even if it were a good pass and completed.  It seems with most QBs, once a turnover machine, always a turnover machine.

I thought if he just lofted it a bit more he makes that throw. Could have made the FG if that play had gone to our guy he was throwing to.

At this point I think it's safe to say we fired the last two guys who got this team to it's ceiling.  This program will likely never be back in elite ranks.  It's hard to even care anymore.  That said, Defense should be good again next year but it won't matter if the offense and turnovers don't change significantly (and I don't expect them to until year 3 under Rhule).

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Pretty much this.

This is a great point when it comes to that last possession, and that stat where we have something like one win in 20 attempts. If your QB is a run first QB, it makes sense that you have little hope to drive 80 yards in 2 minutes to win because you have to be able to pass to do that. We are doing this to ourselves with the type of QB we have been recruiting for 15 years.  Put in that light, the stat becomes less of an outlier and is really more expected.

The triple option crowd would be wise to realize this. +1

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, corncraze said:

Our OC handpicked the QB that lead the NCAA in turnovers. Our staff did very little in the portal or JUCOs to address the holes on offense. And our OL is still atrocious (the PFF rankings support that - look at Turner scoring 0s in pass protection for multiple games). In my mind, our turnovers correlate with our OL performance. Bad protection means more picks. Not the only factor clearly - decision making by all 3 QBs was also awful, and that would likely be an indicator of coaching. Three completely different players all produce unprecedented TOs. If this wasn’t our team, I’m pretty sure all of us would view Satt as an awful OC. We could recognize how back Brian Ferentz was.

I think everybody agrees that grabbing Sims out of the portal was a huge mistake. It's hard to say whether we would have really gotten anybody better than Purdy, but it's possible.

Seeing Purdy's skills at throwing (at least when he's throwing to a wide open guy and actually hitting his target) and watching his instincts to tuck it & scramble when it's there makes me think if he hadn't had the groin injury at all, we go bowling.

Haarberg was no doubt the 3rd string guy at the end of camp if Purdy isn't injured, and probably doesn't see the field at all without Chubba's injury.

• Plus1 3

28 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think everybody agrees that grabbing Sims out of the portal was a huge mistake. It's hard to say whether we would have really gotten anybody better than Purdy, but it's possible.

On3 rated Sims the 16th best QB in the transfer portal last year. QBs they had rated higher include two guys we faced this year:  Tanner Mordecai (SMU -> Wisconsin) and Hudson Card (Texas -> Purdue).

They also say (although I don't know how true this might be) that Sims had an NIL value of $135,000.  Casey Thompson, rated the 23rd best QB in the portal by On3, had an NIL value of $141,000. Kinda interesting.

I think it's safe to say Sims wasn't the best QB available, but I have no idea what interest any of the QBs rated above him had in coming to Nebraska.

In hindsight it's clear Sims was a massive bust. But Scott Frost was widely believed to be the home-run hire of his cycle when we got him, and we all know how that turned out.

Predictions are a tough business.

• Plus1 1