2023 Season Final Grade Your Expectation vs Reality

TGHusker

Expectation vs Reality   

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I expected 3-4 wins so they technically exceeded my expectations. I'd give a C- to be more granular but checked the C box. I am not that down on the coaching as Rhule typically blows chunks his first year, using it as a yardstick to see what he's dealing with. Will that guarantee success? Not necessarily, but none of you are psychic either. Tougher schedule next year, but improving the OL and QB room can make Nebraska tougher, too. The defense can also get better, that should be reason for some hope.

• Plus1 1

I think the offense gets an F. 31 turnovers and 27 touchdowns. That's ridiculous.  They couldn't get a first down when it mattered and receivers are still running 6 yd plays when they need 7.

Defense was salty but always seem to fold late. Wisconsin- in OT, Maryland did drive the field for winning FG and IA managed to get in FG range easily. Probably a few other games as well.

Special Teams-lousy punting and no punt returns.  

Overall-D -Hope young guys that played this year improve a lot.

• TBH 1
  • The offensive line got measurably better over last season, in my opinion.
  • Defense was obviously hugely improved.
  • Special teams was either flat as compared to last year or maybe went down a ways. Hard to rag on the coaches for missed field goals, but the punt returning was pretty bad for a good swath of the year.
  • Turnovers were obviously so bad that if you weren't already hitting the bourbon out of the bottle, you are now.
  • The culture of the team seems improved.

So given all of that, I feel like we're basically the same team that we were in Frost's year 2 (2019). It's just that you'd swap the poor offensive performance with the defense from that year, probably.

We weren't "close to being a good team" this season because of the turnovers. But it does seem like we started turning the culture around and that's the #1 thing on the list.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Considering the history of Rhule and the program, on a weighted curve I give it a B but would be closer B- to C+, if I could.

MSU was a bull s#!te TD and only game the defense was a let down in a game they could/should have won.

The two games I blame coaches are Maryland and Wisconsin for being too aggressive and then not aggressive enough. Situational awareness was lacking offensively. Another fault of Satt or Rhule was not finding a better QB than Sims and/or not retaining CT. I don’t know why we didn’t take more shots downfield. If Rhule wants to run the ball or run more option, then Satterfield definitely has to go - there is just something missing.

The coaches didn’t fumble and throw interceptions against Minnesota. They didn’t drop INTs either. That TD by Minny WR was OMG unreal. Losing Marcus Washington was huge. The OL truly wasn’t the liability many moan about (it’s not good either). It’s actually a young team and if all we lose are either players out of eligibility or those not cracking 2-deep, then I gotta buy into the culture being created.

GBR

edit: for disclosure - meh, I no longer live or die off a weekend of Husker football  

B overall

A for Defense

C for Offense and ST

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Sometimes you just gotta say "wtf" 

I mean, obviously not good.

But when all three spots had multiple starter changes due to injuries (amongst other things), no one is going to rack up a lot of stats.

Kemp should probably have been able to get more receiving yards, even though he missed some time.  And I suppose HH should have played enough games to get to 1000.

• TBH 2

Just now, Mavric said:

I mean, obviously not good.

But when all three spots had multiple starter changes due to injuries (amongst other things), no one is going to rack up a lot of stats.

Kemp should probably have been able to get more receiving yards, even though he missed some time.  And I suppose HH should have played enough games to get to 1000.

I agree that starter changes contributed...But you did see where we were only the 3rd team in 53 years? The ineptitude continues to astound me.  

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree that starter changes contributed...But you did see where we were only the 3rd team in 53 years? The ineptitude continues to astound me.  

But the types of teams that win these types of prizes are poor teams that get decimated by injuries. Like, a 3-9 team that finished with an interim head coach kind of bad followed by the top 2-3 positions across the board the next year sustaining multiple game/season ending injuries. 

A 2022 dumpster offense that loses every skill player that made it even limp along doesn’t bode well for any amount of quality depth needed to get through the Big10 2023 season. 

And it showed. 

I thought we'd only win 2 games, so definitely exceeded my expectations.

Offense: F (I know there were a ton of injuries, so maybe they couldn't have done much better but it was absolutely awful.)

Defense: B (D was on the verge of being great - and were at times - but not quite there with the lack of turnovers and giving up critical plays late in games.)

ST: C (3 blocked FG's bumps this up from a D or F. Kicker and punter were hot and cold and cost us some games.)