We should accept a bowl given the chance

BoSolich

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I would watch two 1-5 teams play if it was all that was on. Because I'm a college football fan.

If you're only watching because your team is winning, that's a you problem.

Terrible football is not fun. I would not watch two loser teams. I watch Nebraska because I care about the program, but I do not watch loser teams I don’t care about.

29 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Speaking of fun. Anyone watch IA State/K State in 3 inches of snow? Almost 1000 yards of offense, 70 yard TDs left and right.  Great game.

The game was excellent, the Iron Bowl might have been the craziest finish I've seen. What an awesome day of college football.

I’m watching UCLA vs Cal.  It’s 57 degrees and a lot of players have long sleeves and head gear.

Imagine USC or UCLA playing in B1G country in November.

• Oh Yeah! 2

The truth of the matter is that we all love our Huskers and want them to be competitive regardless of our whining. I, for one, never expected us to win 8 or more games this season but I was hoping that we would at least get 6 wins and make the postseason for the first time in what seems like a century. We are the ONLY power 5 team not to get to a bowl game in 7 years. So, yes, if we are invited to one, we should jump to that opportunity regardless of whether anyone feels we have earned it or not. It is a chance to have our young players experience a bowl game and maybe shoot for a better result next season. 

Having said that, I am extremely disappointed with Rhule’s first year and I do not buy any of his excuses. If an interim coach at northwestern can get to 7 wins in his first year with little head coaching experience in the same division as ours, Rhule should have no excuse not to get at least 6 wins. You can blame the players all you want. Some of the losses are on him and his coaches. His failure to fix the turnovers, penalties, and piss poor play on offense and special teams are not something new. With his experience, he should have had some fixes. I have not seen any evidence that next year will be any better. However, the husker in me always wants to believe that sometime this century, we might become semi-relevant. After all, if Kansas, Kansas state, Missouri, Iowa state, Iowa, and so many other teams can get to 8 wins or more, why can’t we? We have not had a single signature win forever. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I thought I saw somewhere that Army and Navy need to have 6 wins by today.  Isn’t bowl selection tomorrow?

Army will need 7 wins to reach a bowl since they have 2 wins over FCS opponents.

Navy would be bowl-eligible with a win. 

We are mid 60s in apr. We will not be making a bowl sadly. 

• TBH 1
31 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Army will need 7 wins to reach a bowl since they have 2 wins over FCS opponents.

Navy would be bowl-eligible with a win. 

We are mid 60s in apr. We will not be making a bowl sadly. 

Does anyone actually know what they're talking about on this?

Us being mid 60s is irrelevant if the top 64 teams are already bowl eligible and there is a spot left.

Edit: just read a breakdown from a week ago and Nebraska needed a miracle, so you're probably right.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Does anyone actually know what they're talking about on this?

Us being mid 60s is irrelevant if the top 64 teams are already bowl eligible and there is a spot left.

According to the list @commando posted earlier, Minnesota, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Army (if they only win 5) and Florida are all five-win teams would be ahead of us.

And Cal is leading UCLA in the fourth quarter, trying to get to six (could also be ahead of us in APR).

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

According to the list @commando posted earlier, Minnesota, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Army (if they only win 5) and Florida are all five-win teams would be ahead of us.

And Cal is leading UCLA in the fourth quarter, trying to get to six (could also be ahead of us in APR).

7 days ago, 68 teams were bowl eligible. I count 12 teams that got to 6 wins this week so we should be out of contention by like 3 spots.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Minnesota got in at 5-7.  We didn’t.

I know that it is not a criteria or factor into bowl eligibility, but as much as I hate Fleck, they did beat us, so that is one team no one can complain about. Plain and simple. This team had multiple chances against subpar teams and didn’t get it done. 

• TBH 2