Off-season practice

AlaSker

Just curious.. since we missed out on the extra 15 practices for a bowl game. 

What kind of rules are in place to keep the roster from meeting and running their own “practice”. With maybe some coach suggestions. 

Kind of like the voluntary High school practices in July, that coaches can run as “camps”.

If the upper classmen are intent on winning, what is preventing them from doing this for next year?

this is a question more than anything….

50 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

What kind of rules are in place to keep the roster from meeting and running their own “practice”. With maybe some coach suggestions. 

Kind of like the voluntary High school practices in July, that coaches can run as “camps”.

If the upper classmen are intent on winning, what is preventing them from doing this for next year?

-Scott Frost 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • TBH 2
On 11/27/2023 at 10:27 PM, AlaSker said:

More than that, actually. 15 is the number of days for spring camp, but during bowl season practices are only subject to the same practice limits as during the regular season. So it can be more like another extra month of practice.

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

More than that, actually. 15 is the number of days for spring camp, but during bowl season practices are only subject to the same practice limits as during the regular season. So it can be more like another extra month of practice.

I read last year it was something between 12-15 practices.  NU missing 7 years of of bowls is 84-105 practices.....That is a crap ton of missed practices and missed opportunities.

• TBH 7
36 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The boys are working out and practicing.   They just can't do it as a team.  

With all of the additions of analysts and interns, can you have an analyst/intern run off season practices?  I know Frost did something with ST's, but can't remember if this was with actual coaches or when practices were not allowed during covid.  

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Who would stop them from just playing backyard football on a grass football field like I used to do when I was younger?  The only way coaches find out is if someone gets hurt.

How did these backyard football games you played when you were younger prepare you for  P5 FBS football?  Was it touch?  Helmets only?  Who called plays?  Help with my curiosity.

You may be on to something.  Hoiberg should have his players going to Prairie Life (Genesis) to scrimmage my son and his friends in the summer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What I'd be doing is working with a Masters level Computer Science student trying to build a program that helps build football IQ.

Take the players through scenarios and rules of the game and challenge them.  Gamify what they will see on Saturdays.  Make it fun, but teach them at the same time.

Our Football IQ in Lincoln is terrible right now.  Could be the next Hudl spin off.  We do something similar to this in my current company.  We simulate common scenarios to build awareness and capability.  We are no where near the cutting edge, but there is some pretty interesting stuff out there.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
On 11/27/2023 at 9:27 PM, AlaSker said:

they can do what they want with no staff in attendance. this isn't about more practice, its about better, bigger players and coaching / in game decisions

On 11/27/2023 at 10:27 PM, AlaSker said:

I think you're asking if informal workouts typically associated with the summer can be done in the spring term during non spring practice time.  The answer is yes, but it's not really replacing formal bowl practices that occur over the winter break, and time is limited because winter conditioning is the priority.  Somebody else referenced staff participation, I'm not certain, but I believe the NCAA now allows staff to be hands on for 8hrs a week during informal workouts.  I have no idea if that also would extend to "informal throwing sessions" during the spring term.