Is Nebraska a "blue blood" program?

I mean Nebraska was good for 25 years, does that make a blue blood program or did we just have a good run over 25 years ago. Nebraska was basically good from 71-97, there are some programs which have been relevant for well over a century. I often hear people on here say we are a blue blood program. I dont feel like we are. Lot of people arent even old enough to recall when Nebraska was a good program, we dont have national champioships like Michigan in 1895 or some such. I think it is more we had a good run. Do you think we are a blue blood program.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, BIG8forever said:

Lot of people arent even old enough to recall when Nebraska was a good program, we dont have national champioships like Michigan in 1895 or some such.

Huh?

The 1902 team went undefeated and unscored on, but we don't go touting our 1902 "national championship" even though we probably could if we really, really wanted to, etc. etc.

Nebraska is a blue blood by virtue of having success in the early 20th century, AS WELL AS the run that is longer than you claim, 1962-2001 without a season at-or-below .500. The more important question is if blue blood status can be lost and what the criteria for that is.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

Minnesota has like 5 or 6 nattys, they were dominant for basically the same length of time. We arent better than Minnesota, how are they not a blue blood?

Chihuahuas have 5 or 6 genes in common with artic wolves. How are they not a wolf?

• Haha 2
  • TBH 4
6 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

Minnesota has 6 nattys and no one calls them a blue blood

Iowa claims 5 Nattys too. We only claim modern era titles, not ones during ancient years where there were 4 or 5 different entities naming winners.  We could have upwards of 10 like some other schools if we did that also.

• TBH 2
24 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Iowa claims 5 Nattys too. We only claim modern era titles, not ones during ancient years where there were 4 or 5 different entities naming winners.

That is insane Iowa claims 5 titles. 

1921 7-0 (Big Ten had them turn down playing 8-0 Cal in the Rose Bowl)

1922 7-0 (Big Ten didn't allow them to play again in the Rose Bowl)

1956 9-1 (they were ranked 3rd in final AP and Coaches polls)

1958 8-1-1 (ranked 2nd in final AP and coaches polls)

1960 8-1 (ranked 2nd in final Coaches and 3rd in AP)

I would mayyyyyyyyyyyybe give them 1922 as Cal tied 0-0 against the  Washington & Jefferson Presidents in the Rose Bowl.

• Plus1 2