Is Nebraska a "blue blood" program?

7 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

Minnesota has like 5 or 6 nattys, they were dominant for basically the same length of time. We arent better than Minnesota, how are they not a blue blood?

Feel free to debate whatever makes you happy.  I doubt you will find many Minnesota fans willing to jump on your bandwagon. 

I do think it is possible to fall out of "blue blood" status but it takes more than a bad decade.  The definition that most go to when trying to define blue blood programs is "historically elite".  I think we still fit that definition even though we haven't been good over the last 10 years.  I know guys like you will try to say we haven't been good since the 90s but that just isn't true.  We won 67 games from 2008 until 2014.  That is good by anyone's definition and better than 3 of the 4 playoff teams this year- Michigan 46,  Washington 43, Texas 61.  It was also well above your beloved Minnesota who only had 41.

Now if we stay bad for another 10+ years, I think the discussion starts to change.      

• Plus1 3

Blue Blood? We were a dominant team in the 1990s and we were a consistent top performer for a 40 year stretch and that doesn't include some of the pre WWII stuff. Yes. Blue Blood.

You can definitely say that we lead the nation in not being respected. E$PN

How can that network have an intro for a pre-game show and have the song and the images address all the great programs in the country without mentioning Nebraska? And yet the same intro talks about Colorado and PRIME. 

Even back in the mid 1990s, the ESPN guys picked Florida to beat Nebraska. I believe Corso said we would lose by a lot. UMMMMM Ok.

Regardless, the bottom line is that the Nebraska that did all the great things is really no more.

Coach Rhule is trying to build something from the ground up. But the accolades we achieve with this version of Nebraska would add to an already impressive list of Blue Blood type accomplishments. 

On 1/1/2024 at 9:45 PM, HuskersNC949597 said:

Huh?

The 1902 team went undefeated and unscored on, but we don't go touting our 1902 "national championship" even though we probably could if we really, really wanted to, etc. etc.

Nebraska is a blue blood by virtue of having success in the early 20th century, AS WELL AS the run that is longer than you claim, 1962-2001 without a season at-or-below .500. The more important question is if blue blood status can be lost and what the criteria for that is.

17 hours ago, runningblind said:

Iowa claims 5 Nattys too. We only claim modern era titles, not ones during ancient years where there were 4 or 5 different entities naming winners.  We could have upwards of 10 like some other schools if we did that also.

minnesota has ap national championships. They were dominant for the same amount of time.

6 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

minnesota has ap national championships. They were dominant for the same amount of time.

You do realize their last "championship", was in 1960.  They finished 8-2- somehow ahead of the one loss Washington team that beat them in the Rose Bowl and ahead of undefeated Missouri, Yale & Ole Miss...  Sounds very "dominant" ... smh 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

I'll also point out a few other things just to end this silliness.  The stretch of "dominance" claimed by Minnesota pales in comparison to Nebraska's 90s results.

Minnesota only played 8 games each of the following seasons where you claim they were "dominant" for the same amount of time.

1934 was a shared title with Alabama.  

1935 was a shared title with SMU and TCU.  

1936 was a shared title with Pitt.  They didn't even win the Big 10 that year and no bowl game again. 

1940 was a shared title with Stanford and Tenn.

Minnesota didn't play in any bowl games through the above stretch.

Minnesota has never won a title that wasn't shared, ever.   

Minnesota played in 6 bowl games prior to 2000.  Nebraska played in 37.

Minnesota has played in a total of 24 bowl games all time.  Nebraska sits at 53.

There is no historical comparison worth making, period.         

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
On 1/1/2024 at 10:12 PM, BIG8forever said:

I mean Nebraska was good for 25 years, does that make a blue blood program or did we just have a good run over 25 years ago. Nebraska was basically good from 71-97, there are some programs which have been relevant for well over a century. I often hear people on here say we are a blue blood program. I dont feel like we are. Lot of people arent even old enough to recall when Nebraska was a good program, we dont have national champioships like Michigan in 1895 or some such. I think it is more we had a good run. Do you think we are a blue blood program.

Which schools do you think are blue-blood programs?

I’ve never understood why the Minnesota comparison is so prevalent when discussing Neb’s modern day struggles. Acting like a program whose dominant era predated integration and any resemblance of the modern day game is somehow comparable to the what cfb has been for the last 40-50 years makes absolutely no sense to me. 

Some food for thought. From 1962 to 2003, Neb didn’t have a losing season. One .500 season in there, but never a losing season. No program can say that, let alone any of the 7 other blue blood programs. 

I also think the “Neb has been bad for 20 years” trope is largely overstated. Yes, we took a step back. But I ran the numbers in another thread a while back and from 2003-2016, Neb kept pace with most of our B1G peers for wins, losses, bowl games and top 25 finishes. The lion share of our “terrible” 20 year stretch is mostly indistinguishable from the likes of Iowa, Penn St and Michigan.

It’s obviously been historically bad since 2017. But Blue blood status doesn’t just go away because of a couple bad coaching hires and a bad 7 year stretch.

• Plus1 1