Can Nebraska ever return to Greatness

In the 25 seasons since Nebraska split the National Championship in the end of the polling era, there have been 13 different national champions. Even with the dynasties, that's a fair representation, and there's not a cinderella team in the bunch. It's the place for blue bloods. Look at the years prior to 1997, and it's a blue blood world there, too, with the glaring exception of BYU. The blue bloods have taken turns having down cycles, but they typically aren't down for long. Nebraska's drought has been longer than most, although Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Georgia and Oklahoma slogged through their own troughs.

That being said, everything has changed. Columnist in my morning paper claims Monday is the end of college football as we once knew it. Hard to argue. Conferences, traditions, and player loyalty are basically a free-for-all. But a 12 game playoff would certainly open the door for cinderella stories, which happen every year in NCAA basketball. Anything is possible for a team that catches fire. And stays healthy.

Maybe it's me, but sometimes when I'm watching a supposed powerhouse like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State or Michigan, I'm thinking.....they really aren't that great. I mean, a Scott Frost coached Nebraska team took three Top 10 teams (and 6 Top 20 teams) down to the wire one season.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

I wouldn't say NEVER.  It will take a while though.  Every old team in the B10 has won it at least once. It likely won't be in the next ten years though.  It took Michigan like 8 years to go from 9 wins to best in the b10. we'll have to get to 9 wins then we can up our talent, sign stealing, etc to go to get to that next level.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In the 25 seasons since Nebraska split the National Championship in the end of the polling era, there have been 13 different national champions. Even with the dynasties, that's a fair representation, and there's not a cinderella team in the bunch. It's the place for blue bloods. Look at the years prior to 1997, and it's a blue blood world there, too, with the glaring exception of BYU. The blue bloods have taken turns having down cycles, but they typically aren't down for long. Nebraska's drought has been longer than most, although Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Georgia and Oklahoma slogged through their own troughs.

That being said, everything has changed. Columnist in my morning paper claims Monday is the end of college football as we once knew it. Hard to argue. Conferences, traditions, and player loyalty are basically a free-for-all. But a 12 game playoff would certainly open the door for cinderella stories, which happen every year in NCAA basketball. Anything is possible for a team that catches fire. And stays healthy.

Maybe it's me, but sometimes when I'm watching a supposed powerhouse like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State or Michigan, I'm thinking.....they really aren't that great. I mean, a Scott Frost coached Nebraska team took three Top 10 teams (and 6 Top 20 teams) down to the wire one season.

I think some of the “free-for-all” stuff will be improved. Everything is so new now. It takes time to make adjustments. A couple things being mentioned:

Don’t open the transfer portal until bowl season is over

Player contracts - they get more $ if they stay X years.

• Plus1 3

Another dumb thread. Who’s starting these? Iowa fans? 

The emphatic answer is yes. And YES Nebraska is a blue blood. 

We have all the pieces to return to greatness. Period, end of story, shut this whiney thread down. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

We shall be greeeat again, once we have more Oates and Barley and Haggis.  

Right now we have just Suet and Herbs and pudding. 

Hang around a wee bit longer young laddie.  Scotland wasn't built in a day. 

Nor was Husker football.....  without Oates and Barley and Haggis

cheersidiots.jpg

I can’t believe some of the comments on here. And some of y’all think im pessimistic?? Maybe… probably closer to a realist though, but anyway…

Here is some objective truth for ya: we just landed the number one recruit in 5 different states. We landed the number one qb in the country. We have filled out the spots of weakness on our offense. We have young talented WRs. We are finally starting to develop players. Our defense is the best it has been in years.

If a team like Washington can go to the Championship so can Nebraska. Will it happen next year?Probably not. But to say it will never happen again is just defeatist and actual pessimism. Go Big f#&%ing Red!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
16 minutes ago, runningblind said:

How about we start with "can Nebraska ever make a bowl again?".  Once that box is checked, let's add "can Nebraska make the playoff?" and "can Nebraska win the conference?", then progress to greatness questioning.

Yes, Nebraska can make a bowl game bc all it takes is to get to 7 wins which yes we have struggled to get that amount but with the right type of players and coaches then we should be on our way.  When I started the post Greatness is subjective you can take it the extreme way of going 60-3 in a 4 year span or you can go with winning a National Championship and or being one of the top programs hovering around the top of the rankings each year or like you said win a conference championship.  I know we have hit a rough patch the last 7 years and or 20 or so which has really impacted the thoughts of husker fans but I tend to think that we can get back to being a contender instead of being a pretender.  Just have to get there one step at a time like you said.

5 hours ago, Cornfed said:

Another dumb thread. Who’s starting these? Iowa fans? 

The emphatic answer is yes. And YES Nebraska is a blue blood. 

We have all the pieces to return to greatness. Period, end of story, shut this whiney thread down. 

Im not a Iowa fan nor do I care about Finebaum at all but I started the post bc I wanted to get people's thoughts on if they actually believe him or are against his thought process.  Right now I'd say it's 50/50 split on some do and some don't which is surprising but not shocking bc losing sucks and leaves a nasty taste in everyone's mouth.  When you haven't been to a bowl game in 7 years, topics like this are a discussion and bc Greatness is subjective then you can go whatever way you choose to.

On 1/6/2024 at 1:42 PM, Moiraine said:

I think some of the “free-for-all” stuff will be improved. Everything is so new now. It takes time to make adjustments. A couple things being mentioned:

Your suggestions make to much sense, they will never be adopted.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:42 PM, Moiraine said:

I think the issue with this is they would want to be enrolled in January.  So waiting until after bowl season doesn't allow much time.  So I'm not sure there's a good fix for this.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:42 PM, Moiraine said:

I think making them employees with contracts is the best way to try to get some stability for schools/coaches.

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

think the issue with this is they would want to be enrolled in January.  So waiting until after bowl season doesn't allow much time.  So I'm not sure there's a good fix for this.

And…..I don’t even think when it opens matters.  Players were announcing they were entering the portal before it was officially open. And, it’s obvious teams were already talking to them.  

• TBH 1

I’m a life long Nebraska fan. I don’t believe NU will ever win a National Championship again. When I watch top ten teams, I feel like Nebraska isn’t even close as far as speed, size and play-calling. NU hasn’t been to a bowl game in six years. The Big Ten is only going to become more difficult. Winning 7-8 games will be the norm. Occasionally they may win 9. The only way I see Nebraska being relevant is if they get lucky with NIL or they buy a team. I’m not sure the boosters will fork over that much money. 

42 minutes ago, Guadalupe Husker said:

I’m a life long Nebraska fan. I don’t believe NU will ever win a National Championship again. When I watch top ten teams, I feel like Nebraska isn’t even close as far as speed, size and play-calling. NU hasn’t been to a bowl game in six years. The Big Ten is only going to become more difficult. Winning 7-8 games will be the norm. Occasionally they may win 9. The only way I see Nebraska being relevant is if they get lucky with NIL or they buy a team. I’m not sure the boosters will fork over that much money. 

lol. cool story. What does say, Washington have that we don't? 

...or TCU, Mich St, Cincinnati.. or even Oklahoma for that matter. All have gone to the playoff. 

If you don't believe that Nebraska can be great again, you should find a different team.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 5