Future Non-Conference Schedules - No Power 5 Teams?

Here's the 2025 thru 2029 Schedule. Note: 2 neutral site games with Cinncy and 1 Road game with Tennessee. Doubt there will be any effort to change the schedule from it's current. 1 Power 5 road team and 2 neutral site games with Cincinnati doesn't seem like "over scheduling" to me while also putting together some interesting lesser games. Ohio, North Dakota, Northern Illinois, South Dakota State, Arizona are all games that we can't overlook and would be awesome venue games to attend.

Husker Football 2025 - 2029 Schedule.png

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

No one show Josh the SEC schedule 

Make fun of the SEC all you want (I'm sooo guilty of ridiculing the SEC) but below is Tennessee's 2024 schedule.. Tell me you'd like this over Nebraska's current 2024 schedule:

Tennessee 2024 Schedule.png

• Plus1 2

When I coached FB, I NEVER cared about playing crap teams, especially at the start of the year.  I hated seeing our schedule and knowing there were more than 2-3 games where we were just going to get smoked.

There were certain teams we had to play each year...I was fine with that.  The rest of the games, give me easier teams.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

@teachercd I really like the non-conference scheduling thru 2029.. I think it positions the Huskers for post season if they do their part by winning. It doesn't ever make sense to overschedule and remove your chances at post season play. 

The 2028 schedule will be Rhule's 6th season, really liking our schedule.. "If" the Huskers can get back to championship caliber play, what ever that is, (ie.. running power, pro-set, read option etc...) 2028 could & should be a year of anticipation around these parts.

Husker Football 2028 Schedule.png

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Make fun of the SEC all you want (I'm sooo guilty of ridiculing the SEC) but below is Tennessee's 2024 schedule.. Tell me you'd like this over Nebraska's current 2024 schedule:

Tennessee 2024 Schedule.png

Outside of Georgia and Alabama, I don't see what's so tough here. A neutral site ACC team, Kent State (lol), UTEP (lol), and you're missing the mighty Chattanooga Mocs (lmao).

Pretty typical SEC scheduling: 3 tomato cans and a if your P5 opponent has a pulse you play a neutral site rather than an actual road game.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Just have it be required for all P5 teams that you play at least one non con against a P5 team. It’s one of the only ways to help get the polls right and reduce the # of SEC teams in the playoffs. 

But does it really do that when some conferences start off with a de-facto +0.5 wins per team?

• Plus1 1

He's right.  Rhule is right. 

We've got enough big game matchups playing the new Big Ten schedule. 

You should put a non-conf schedule out that will be favorable, so you can build some depth and confidence (winning). 

And then you can be ready for those 9 conf games, plus post season games.

Back in the day, we all wanted more tougher competition to start the season.  And something that was especially exciting for the home folks.

That ship has sailed.  Probably years ago.

I am all for an easier non-conf "pre-season" schedule.  It is what it is.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

@teachercd 

The 2028 schedule will be Rhule's 6th season, really liking our schedule.. "If" the Huskers can get back to championship caliber play, what ever that is, (ie.. running power, pro-set, read option etc...) 2028 could & should be a year of anticipation around these parts.

2028 is long ways away and lot will change between now and then. At least I hope it does since 9 of those 12 teams you like so much are better programs than NU at this point in time judging them by their records over the last several years.

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, Mavric said:

Unless they cancel some games, we probably have a Power 5 non-conference game scheduled for about as long as Rhule will be here already.

But....

what a shocker, a mediocre personality in the local sports media coming out with a horrendous take.  I think Josh spent his monday watching jj reddick go scorched earth for clicks and said "im gonna do the same tomorrow, dammit"

Big ten and other conferences were already at a disadvantage against the SEC in playing more conf games and not loading up on cupcakes to the same level SEC did.  Unless the playoffs expands to 32 (which I do not want, just so we're clear) it makes zero sense to play a major program early when others do not.  Now, if the conferences wanted to some kind of SEC-Bigten challenge where every team has to play a school from the other conf then I can get behind that.  But to selectively sign up for a battle early on when you're going to have 4-6, maybe even more battles in conf play with the super conferences is just dumb

• Plus1 2