Trev to A&M

Men's Basketball in in Semi-finals 3/16 if they win, playing for the Bog 10 Championship 3/17

Women's Basketball is on the rise. 

Nebraska Women's Volleyball is always the team to beat to get to the National Championship.

Nebraska Football is on the rise.  Not to mention the many other great Nebraska Sports teams.

Trev's move to Texas A&M at this point makes me think of the line in Stroker Ace

"Why would you fire him when he's just moved into 2nd place?"

6 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Man, I get tired of this stupid argument. A men’s sport had to go for Title IX. It wasn’t Trev’s decision and he called Denny before it hit the papers the NEXT F&(@ing MORNING.

The UNO Wrestling thing is tired and worn out and quite frankly nobody really cares. People that understand things have understood the decision for a long time. Look at UNO now. It was absolutely the correct decision. 

Maybe time will tell us that NU will be absolutely better off with Trev making the decision he made...I doubt people will look back fondly of Trev's sudden departure.

I am one of those people who did really care about the UNO decision.  Maybe it was the right decision, but Trev and his staff should have done a better job and not got themselves into the optics they did.  I think most of us recognize there are more professional ways of handling things rather than over the phone due to his offices inability to keeps things under wraps. 

That's okay though, just because it's not a mainstream activity, means we can treat people less professionally.  Again-maybe it was the correct call.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Toe said:

There's rumors floating around that he felt like the way the regents were handling the sexual assault lawsuit left him open to being fired. To be honest, that feels like the most plausible explanation to me - bailing out while he could, before a potential career-ending firing. It'll be interesting to see if Amy Williams ends up getting fired...

If it is bad enough to get him canned here, wouldn't it be bad enough for A&M to not hire him (or fire him when the full details come out)?  You would think that A&M would have done their due diligence on it (especially since they are paying us $4M to hire him).  He's an expendable outsider there.

• TBH 2
9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If it is bad enough to get him canned here, wouldn't it be bad enough for A&M to not hire him (or fire him when the full details come out)?  You would think that A&M would have done their due diligence on it (especially since they are paying us $4M to hire him).  He's an expendable outsider there.

Not necessarily.  At Nebraska, it was his responsibility to see it handled correctly.  But he's not the one who directly did anything wrong, just didn't handle the aftermath correctly.  People get second chances for that all the time.

• Plus1 2

I woke this morning after watching a Friday to remember in Nebraska Athletics. My very first thought as I opened my eyes was "Can we, Husker Nation, finally just move on from the best last Era of Husker Greatness and into a NEW era of Husker Greatness"? The old regime/guard is out finally. Trev was the last of the old guard. The new guard is/has righted the ship and frankly, I think Trev leaving is probably going to turn out to be a good thing. The Solich issue was mended and put to rest by the last of the "old guard" as it should have been. Trev did an admirable job of correcting the wrongs, bringing unity back, putting the department into a new era and then left. So, instead of constantly whining about it, let's actually lay it to rest and move forward with the new group of coaches and allow them to create their own dynasty along with the players they bring in. There's few of the old guard left. The volleyball team did it when Terry hired John and that's proven to be hugely successful. Time now for Matt, for Fred, Amy and the rest. Time for the fanbase (myself included) to sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, admo said:

It's shocking.   My gut reaction is that if it's true about Trev reaching out for the B1G commissioner job, he already had one foot out of the door.   Couldn't wait to get out of Lincoln.  And that's a hard pill to swallow.  So you know it had to be brutal for him to leave.

The other thing is that without Carter, Green and now Trev gone, Nebraska Univ needs to get their s#!t together.  There is no leadership in place with a pecking order and full support to run the op. 

I just hope the Nebraska media and University BOR don't get lame and try to ask the head football coach to come stand at the podium and answer tough  questions.  That would be insane, but also a very Nebraska thing to do.  Rhule is just the Head Football Coach and can't speak on behalf of Trev or others.  

If people want answers, reach out to Trev and talk to the VPs or Execs or Interims.  This has nothing to do with football or the athletic department staff.

His flirting with commissioner job shows me that at best the Nebraska AD job was just a stepping stone for him and he was never long for this job.  Even if everything was roses, he wasn't staying here 10+ years if other opportunities presented themselves.

• TBH 3
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not necessarily.  At Nebraska, it was his responsibility to see it handled correctly.  But he's not the one who directly did anything wrong, just didn't handle the aftermath correctly.  People get second chances for that all the time.

And regardless of anything he did or did not do, his resume looks a lot better without a 'got fired from previous AD job' on it...

5 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I woke this morning after watching a Friday to remember in Nebraska Athletics. My very first thought as I opened my eyes was "Can we, Husker Nation, finally just move on from the best last Era of Husker Greatness and into a NEW era of Husker Greatness"? The old regime/guard is out finally. Trev was the last of the old guard.

Interim Athletic Director Dennis Leblanc has been at Nebraska since 1983. And TBH, even with his history, I don't think Trev really even gave a s#!t about 'the old guard' in the first place. Remember that he was one of those who supported Solich's firing back in the day...

• TBH 1
9 hours ago, cornhuskers4ever said:

Nebraska Women's Volleyball is always the team to beat to get to the National Championship.

Although if John Cook ends up taking the AD job...

9 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

His flirting with commissioner job shows me that at best the Nebraska AD job was just a stepping stone for him and he was never long for this job.  Even if everything was roses, he wasn't staying here 10+ years if other opportunities presented themselves.

Yeah true, but maybe he so clever that he knew he would never get fired from Nebraska and have to be the AD for the next 20 years.........working all the time......stressing.... but if he goes to A&M and get's fired in 3 years, he still gets PAID.   

And then he can retire and enjoy life during his 50's with his fam with millions.  Who would really care at that time?   

That's what I would do.  Think ousside of the box.  Be a lifer at Nebraska, or go to A&M, get fired, and then Enjoy your wealth with your fam and friends living on the Coast for the next 20 years instead.  I mean, who wouldn't want to do that instead ?  ;) 

• Haha 1

3 months ago, who would have ever bet that Trev would leave Husker Nation and that Brian Ferentz would be interviewed for a coaching job. Maybe Trev was fighting for Brian to be the new offensive coordinator and threw in the towel when that did not happen. Searching for a new AD while being President-less will be a real challenge. At that level, any candidate would want to know who their boss will be and how they look at all of the big issues (DEI, NIL, Stadium remod, etc.). If anybody wanted to snatch Ruhl from Lincoln, now would be a good time.

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, admo said:

Yeah true, but maybe he so clever that he knew he would never get fired from Nebraska and have to be the AD for the next 20 years.........working all the time......stressing.... but if he goes to A&M and get's fired in 3 years, he still gets PAID.   

And then he can retire and enjoy life during his 50's with his fam with millions.  Who would really care at that time?   

That's what I would do.  Think ousside of the box.  Be a lifer at Nebraska, or go to A&M, get fired, and then Enjoy your wealth with your fam and friends living on the Coast for the next 20 years instead.  I mean, who wouldn't want to do that instead ?  ;) 

If early retirement was the goal, he could just as easily have stayed here 3-5 years then retired. Based on comments Frost made back in the day and Trev's comments this week, it sounds like the roles (AD & Head Football Coach) had/have pressure from above to perform duties beyond the scope of the typical job description most coaches and ADs do at other schools. I don't suspect that A&M is too much different, however A&M also has the structure in place to support the program and is in a big state with enough competitors that there may not be as much meddling from the top-down, and more from the outside (boosters). 

I remember reading something to the effect of 'now Scott can get back to focusing on football' once Trev was hired and became more of a fence between the coach and boosters/BoR/whomever. Similarly, I believe Green & Carter might have had that role between Trev and the BoR/whomever. If the meddling was getting to be too much without the leadership to fend off requests/demands, I can understand looking around. However, what I can't understand is the rug-pull aspect of this and staying too politically correct to not find a subtle way to drop bread crumbs of the issues to others. Did he handle it professionally by not revealing more about the issues prior to the action? Sure, but in doing so, it puts the school he loved in a bad light again and leads to immense speculation with no identifiable solutions other than burn down the whole structure to "solve" the ongoing problem(s). All the goodwill Trev built over the past several years is essentially wiped out, he turns into a villain, and Nebraska remains no better off (for now). Quite the bummer. 

58 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

3 months ago, who would have ever bet that Trev would leave Husker Nation and that Brian Ferentz would be interviewed for a coaching job. Maybe Trev was fighting for Brian to be the new offensive coordinator and threw in the towel when that did not happen. Searching for a new AD while being President-less will be a real challenge. At that level, any candidate would want to know who their boss will be and how they look at all of the big issues (DEI, NIL, Stadium remod, etc.). If anybody wanted to snatch Ruhl from Lincoln, now would be a good time.

IF he was fighting for Brian Ferentz (which I highly doubt), then I'm doubly glad he's gone !!

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, CyHawk said:

giphy.gif

• TBH 3
2 hours ago, CyHawk said:

Troll better.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1