SIGNED WR Jordan Westerkamp

Nexus

If he wants to consistently go 7-5 or 6-6 then go to ND, but if he wants to compete for a B1G championship year in and year out then you come to Nebraska. B1G schedule>Notre Dame schedule

ND is not, seemingly, going anywhere... but they have a new coach and a new hope.

NU... just when do you envision that NU is going to compete for a B1G championship? Certainly, this year we did not --- we finished behind Michigan State and Michigan --- in our own division --- and behind Wisconsin and Penn State in the other. NU was 6th in conference... or, at best, 5th (depending upon how you count it). That is certainly not competing for the B1G championship.

Next year? Michigan is on a huge, observable upswing ... getting better and much better... quickly. Ohio State has the most talent in the league, by a good margin... and now has the coaching too. Watch out. Wisconsin and Michigan State may drop some. The best, the absolute best one could envision for NU (a team that has not shown any improvement over the last two years at all) is that they might match with Wisconsin or Michigan State next year and have a "battle" for and compete, potentially, for #3 or #4 in the conference. There is absolutely no reason to envision NU competing for a B1G title in the foreseeable future.

The point is, neither ND or NU are competitive or relevant on the national scene. Both are historic programs with a glorious past. Both have big fan bases. But neither is currently a force on the national scene or in any way threatening to win anything overly meaningful.

Before we hand Michigan the Legends division, lets remember they had the easiest schedule in the Big 10 last year. Also, although I believe Hoke is a good coach, he has only been there one year. It looks better than it did for Mich, but I am not ready to anoint them as back yet. They need to make it through a few seasons with similar success. They kind of backed their way into the BCS, and I think another program, that you are saying is not competitive, has had 10 win seasons. Is that program (NU) on a huge observable upswing in your eyes? OSU is the cream of the conference and will be for a while. MSU is going to have a few rebuilding years, as will Wisconsin. Because I live in Michigan I have been following the Big 10 for a while, it goes in cycles and they beat each other up every year. It is a very unpredictable conference. Lets not sell the huskers short based on one season, next year they may win it all, they may not. We can never know until they play the games.

If he wants to consistently go 7-5 or 6-6 then go to ND, but if he wants to compete for a B1G championship year in and year out then you come to Nebraska. B1G schedule>Notre Dame schedule

ND is not, seemingly, going anywhere... but they have a new coach and a new hope.

NU... just when do you envision that NU is going to compete for a B1G championship? Certainly, this year we did not --- we finished behind Michigan State and Michigan --- in our own division --- and behind Wisconsin and Penn State in the other. NU was 6th in conference... or, at best, 5th (depending upon how you count it). That is certainly not competing for the B1G championship.

Next year? Michigan is on a huge, observable upswing ... getting better and much better... quickly. Ohio State has the most talent in the league, by a good margin... and now has the coaching too. Watch out. Wisconsin and Michigan State may drop some. The best, the absolute best one could envision for NU (a team that has not shown any improvement over the last two years at all) is that they might match with Wisconsin or Michigan State next year and have a "battle" for and compete, potentially, for #3 or #4 in the conference. There is absolutely no reason to envision NU competing for a B1G title in the foreseeable future.

The point is, neither ND or NU are competitive or relevant on the national scene. Both are historic programs with a glorious past. Both have big fan bases. But neither is currently a force on the national scene or in any way threatening to win anything overly meaningful.

Wow you are a downer lately. Did you forget that NU handled MSU easily at home? That is right, the team that represented the Legends Division lost big time to NU. Michigan lost to Iowa and MSU, two teams NU handled or dare I say dominated. NU had a bad loss at home to NW and had to play Michigan on the road. If Michigan came to Lincoln, I would say there is a better than average chance NU wins that game. The difference this year is MSU got MU at home and NU didn't. Next year that reverses. Oh by the way, take a look at what both of those teams lose. It is a heck of a lot more than NU, that is for sure. Oh and did you forget that OSU can't play in Indy next year and Wisconsin has some big big shoes to fill in several spots. Everyone in the B1G was bad on the road. Wisky lost at MSU and OSU, MU lost at MSU and at Iowa, MSU lost at NU, NU lost at Wisky and MU, OSU lost at NU and at MU. Everyone generally looked pretty good at home, but struggled on the road.

You say that this team hasn't shown any improvement, but you fail to point out that the improvement we are looking for is something that they fell short of by a combined 4 points 2 of the last 3 years. This year's team took a step back on D, but took a good step forward IMO on offense. I am willing to bet, based on Bo's pedigree, that the D improves next year. Not sure it will be 2009 or even 2010 level, but I am willing to bet it will be pretty good. The Offense returns almost everyone and will be operating in the same scheme for 2 years in a row, I expect them to continue to improve. Heck they were pretty good on O this year as it was. If the O at best maintains and the D gets better, which I think is a reasonable assumption, then this team is definitely good enough to win the Conference.

Wow you are a downer lately. Did you forget that NU handled MSU easily at home? That is right, the team that represented the Legends Division lost big time to NU. Michigan lost to Iowa and MSU, two teams NU handled or dare I say dominated. NU had a bad loss at home to NW and had to play Michigan on the road. If Michigan came to Lincoln, I would say there is a better than average chance NU wins that game. The difference this year is MSU got MU at home and NU didn't. Next year that reverses. Oh by the way, take a look at what both of those teams lose. It is a heck of a lot more than NU, that is for sure. Oh and did you forget that OSU can't play in Indy next year and Wisconsin has some big big shoes to fill in several spots. Everyone in the B1G was bad on the road. Wisky lost at MSU and OSU, MU lost at MSU and at Iowa, MSU lost at NU, NU lost at Wisky and MU, OSU lost at NU and at MU. Everyone generally looked pretty good at home, but struggled on the road.

You say that this team hasn't shown any improvement, but you fail to point out that the improvement we are looking for is something that they fell short of by a combined 4 points 2 of the last 3 years. This year's team took a step back on D, but took a good step forward IMO on offense. I am willing to bet, based on Bo's pedigree, that the D improves next year. Not sure it will be 2009 or even 2010 level, but I am willing to bet it will be pretty good. The Offense returns almost everyone and will be operating in the same scheme for 2 years in a row, I expect them to continue to improve. Heck they were pretty good on O this year as it was. If the O at best maintains and the D gets better, which I think is a reasonable assumption, then this team is definitely good enough to win the Conference.

You have reasonable points to be sure. And... you are correct... I am down on our program. I like your forward optimism and wish I could join you in it. This most recent hire (DC) has me really that much more down on the NU future. Here is hoping that you are correct and I am wrong --- I hope, of course, that we do better than I envision we will. Time will tell. And Cavemen, have a great Christmas. Perhaps the new year will issue in good things for NU. GBR.

You have reasonable points to be sure. And... you are correct... I am down on our program. I like your forward optimism and wish I could join you in it. This most recent hire (DC) has me really that much more down on the NU future. Here is hoping that you are correct and I am wrong --- I hope, of course, that we do better than I envision we will. Time will tell. And Cavemen, have a great Christmas. Perhaps the new year will issue in good things for NU. GBR.

I understand your sentiment Robsker, I have some doubts as well. I just think the negativity lately is really over board for no real reason. I am with you on hoping for a big 2012 for NU and I wish you a great Christmas as well. Let's hope that JAN 2nd is the start of good things for the Huskers this next year. The good news on the DC hire is that BO hired himself, not sure you could do better for a DC. He also seems to have gotten a pretty good DL Coach and has put JP in a position to have a stronger position of leadership, which helps his role as RC. Stoops or Zook would have been 1 year hires, this solution has some stability and I think plenty of promise.

I understand your sentiment Robsker, I have some doubts as well. I just think the negativity lately is really over board for no real reason. I am with you on hoping for a big 2012 for NU and I wish you a great Christmas as well. Let's hope that JAN 2nd is the start of good things for the Huskers this next year. The good news on the DC hire is that BO hired himself, not sure you could do better for a DC. He also seems to have gotten a pretty good DL Coach and has put JP in a position to have a stronger position of leadership, which helps his role as RC. Stoops or Zook would have been 1 year hires, this solution has some stability and I think plenty of promise.

At the rate JP is going, I can see him being a head coach by the time he's 35 or 36. In the coming years we'll probably be hearing his name popping up in head coaching rumors.