The Bubba Starling Thread

Don't read anything into the fact that Bubba is enrolling and participating in Summer drills. This has always been part of the plan.

Nothing means anything until August 15th. If Bubba hasn't signed a contract by midnight, then we have something to talk about.

Why August 15th?

Don't read anything into the fact that Bubba is enrolling and participating in Summer drills. This has always been part of the plan.

Nothing means anything until August 15th. If Bubba hasn't signed a contract by midnight, then we have something to talk about.

Why August 15th?

It'd kinda his decision day. I don’t think you can sign with the MLB after that day.

I can't see Bubba playing two sports. Cooper was once considered a good football player and excellent baseball player and has become mediocre in both sports since he decided to play football and baseball at NU.

Because of revenue sharing even crappy baseball teams have money to spend and Bubba will get an offer he can't refuse. The deal won't get done till the very last minute on the last day players can sign. That's how these go every year.

Now its being thrown out there that Bubba could be offered $7 million to sign:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Av8RWjR6HCaoPl9qzJRKouYRvLYF?slug=jp-passan_10_degrees_draft_scott_boras_053011

We've heard all sorts of numbers, and it's all speculation. Again, nobody knows what that number will be - they're just writing articles to get us to read them.

And yet we do ;)

Doesn't hurt that Darin Erstad is now head coach. He may not keep him away from the millions of dollars, but the baseball program has become more attractive ... former Big League all-star twice and three-time Golden Glover Award winner. Not a bad resume.

Don't forget that Erstad was also a two sport athlete. Hopefully this could be appealing to Starling?

Doesn't hurt that Darin Erstad is now head coach. He may not keep him away from the millions of dollars, but the baseball program has become more attractive ... former Big League all-star twice and three-time Golden Glover Award winner. Not a bad resume.

Don't forget that Erstad was also a two sport athlete. Hopefully this could be appealing to Starling?

I can just hear Erstad's pitch now, "Bubba don't worry about missing Spring Ball, plenty of time to practice kicking on the side..........."

Mitch Sherman mentioned on 1620 that Bubba looked forward to coming to Lincoln and going hunting and fishing with Cody Green. Another tie cut....

I wonder if this is a new quote, I think I've seen it before. Any thing like this as new I take as good, at this point Bubba has a good feeling for things so if it were me I'd get real silent in terms of my future at Nebraska if I were going B-Ball. But who knows, I still think he takes the Million Dollar pay check not the <200K Scholie.

Mitch Sherman, formerly of the OWH and now with ESPN, wrote an article saying Bubba has a big decision to make. Not much new, but well-written:

The Bubba plan

NU used athletic director Tom Osborne to deliver the message during a Starling visit to Lincoln, Neb., in the summer of 2010.

"They had it on poster board -- every day, where Bubba needs to be for football, baseball, everything," said Starling's father, Jimbo Starling. "That's when Bubba looked over at me and said, 'I want to go to school here.'"

I see your story and raise you one

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?id=6609946

Bubba Starling couldn't hide the tears. Eyes red and a bit swollen, he squinted under the high Kansas sun.

Everyone nearby, as usual, studied Bubba. It's habit. Look away, and you might miss something incredible. But here in this outpost of Pittsburg, some 100 miles south of home on a calm spring evening, they saw a new side of the 18-year-old phenom.

His adolescence was fading.

Again by Sherman.

My thoughts on Bubba's decision are that it's going to come down to when he comes up here in July. If he gets here and absolutely loves it/it blows him away, then he's staying here. If it's less than satisfactory, he's playing baseball.

Mitch Sherman, formerly of the OWH and now with ESPN, wrote an article saying Bubba has a big decision to make. Not much new, but well-written:

The Bubba plan

NU used athletic director Tom Osborne to deliver the message during a Starling visit to Lincoln, Neb., in the summer of 2010.

"They had it on poster board -- every day, where Bubba needs to be for football, baseball, everything," said Starling's father, Jimbo Starling. "That's when Bubba looked over at me and said, 'I want to go to school here.'"

Jimbo and Bubba starling...does it get any better than that?