The Bubba Starling Thread

I still think we could land him. Remeber he still has till aug 15 at midnight to sign his contract to the Royals. I know his whole family wants him to go to college but they say its his choice. Both his sisters want him to go to college and his younger sister said they have never had a team and they love NEB they wear husker gear everywhere they go so i still think we have a chance but our chance did drop a little with KC picking him

This doesn't really change anything. Granted, like most everyone I never thought he'd come, but really, didn't we always expect he'd be a top ten pick? Is anyone really surprised the Royals grabbed him at five? And now that it's official, why does anyone think this means we have less chance of landing him when that's where he was expected to go the whole time?

Wouldn't we all have basically fallen off of our chairs if he had dropped to 12th or 15th?

Now is when the real work begins. And the real decision-making. I don't for a second believe that the Starling family has been lying to the press - and through them, to us - that they'd like to see Bubba go to college at Nebraska. I think that's a very real, very deep feeling from these people. The only question is, is Bubba ready to take on the role of a man, and to become a professional. That's a question only the family can answer. Bo can't do it, we can't do it, the Royals and Scott Boras can't do it.

Whatever he decides, I'll support him. But it'd be a heck of a lot more fun to support him in a red cap than a blue cap. ;)

• Fire 1

This doesn't really change anything. Granted, like most everyone I never thought he'd come, but really, didn't we always expect he'd be a top ten pick? Is anyone really surprised the Royals grabbed him at five? And now that it's official, why does anyone think this means we have less chance of landing him when that's where he was expected to go the whole time?

Wouldn't we all have basically fallen off of our chairs if he had dropped to 12th or 15th?

Now is when the real work begins. And the real decision-making. I don't for a second believe that the Starling family has been lying to the press - and through them, to us - that they'd like to see Bubba go to college at Nebraska. I think that's a very real, very deep feeling from these people. The only question is, is Bubba ready to take on the role of a man, and to become a professional. That's a question only the family can answer. Bo can't do it, we can't do it, the Royals and Scott Boras can't do it.

Whatever he decides, I'll support him. But it'd be a heck of a lot more fun to support him in a red cap than a blue cap. ;)

I remember reading somewhere that Bubba didn't know if he was mature enough to play at the next level. I know that Erstad said that he was grateful for his time in college because it taught him how to deal with people. I'm hoping that Bubba comes to Nebraska. Money isn't everything. He could come here, grow up and still be able to play for the majors. I vote that he comes here.

Expected and reality are two different things. Draft projections are all talk until they happen, wasn't Rendon supposed to go higher, for example? Plus Bubba could've gone higher to another team, and it seems a bit more likely he'd want to play in his neighborhood with the Royals.

Pro baseball teams talk to players before the draft like they do in football, don't they? If he seemed pretty serious about football, a sign would've been a lot of teams taking a pass on him. That didn't happen. The Royals are either taking a gamble, or from talking with him know they have a good chance to sign him.

All this is info that points to it being less likely he'll be a Husker. Nothing shocking, but there's nothing at all here that makes it more likely.

Expected and reality are two different things. Draft projections are all talk until they happen, wasn't Rendon supposed to go higher, for example? Plus Bubba could've gone higher to another team, and it seems a bit more likely he'd want to play in his neighborhood with the Royals.

Pro baseball teams talk to players before the draft like they do in football, don't they? If he seemed pretty serious about football, a sign would've been a lot of teams taking a pass on him. That didn't happen. The Royals are either taking a gamble, or from talking with him know they have a good chance to sign him.

All this is info that points to it being less likely he'll be a Husker. Nothing shocking, but there's nothing at all here that makes it more likely.

I suppose there was a Prince Amukamara's chance that Bubba fell to the 20th pick or so, but it would have had to be the perfect draft for that to happen. We're talking three chances in 100. The other 97% of the time a player with Bubba's abilities is going to be drafted in the top ten, same as Prince.

I feel bad that this comes as a surprise to you. The easy money was on Bubba getting drafted this high and it always has been. Now we just have to see if he wants to play college football.

Coincidentally, the same situation we were in this time yesterday.

The ONLY way Bubba was going to slip past the Royals in all honesty was if Garret Cole(wasn't gonna happen) or Trevor Bauer were availible. Then the Nats would have ate him up and many on this board would probably feel a lot better with the situation. But it is what it is and Bubba comes out a huge winner either way.

Well, there couldn't have been a worse team to pick him... Now he can be close to home AND a millionaire.

The only good thing about KC drafting him is they are soooooo cheap they may not be willing to pay what Boras wants them to.

We shall see, they gave Alex 4 mil as a signing bonus. I can see them throwing an extra 1.5/2 mil on that to keep Bubba away from football

I live 20 minutes from this kid and have watched him play football and baseball in our high school conference for some time now. I do not know him or his family, but from what I understand from people who are close to his family(its a small sports town down here), play with/against him, etc. , they all say he genuinely LOVES the idea of playing football/baseball at Nebraska(and in Big 10) and all you hear about him is not him trying to build up his draft stock.

I think (and hear) he's still a kid at so many levels who just loves to play. but now its time to get professional about it..... he has grown up decisions to make and I cannot see him coming here. Look no farther than Blake Lawrence as an example of what can happen, another kid from Shawnee Misson HS here in KC. Way too much risk to play football..

Bubba needs to pull the page out of the Chris Wenke play book... go take a run at MLB, get them to pay for school if it doent work out as part of his signing, and see what happens.then, if MLB doesnt work out, come to Lincoln with $3M or $4M in the bank, sweet ride, nice crib, untouchable by the NCAA, not havin to sell jerseys for tats, and beating coeds back at the door with a stick, torching big 10 defenses, getting a heisman and getting us a NC at 26. Just like Chris did... all of the finest things in life...

I give it 0.00% chance he is in Lincoln come fall. I will enjoy watching him play for the royals though....of course when he gets good, they'll trade him so we can watch him in someone else's world series team.......

Playing for KC is like playing for Colorado; no one wants to do it unless they really have to.

WTF are you talking about?????? First of all, he's a homebody who(at least according to his mother & sister), doesn't sound at all like he's ready to dive into the real world. Well, that barrier pretty much just got thrown out the window with him being drafted by KC. That is an absolute DREAM situation for him. As far as Colorado, I guess you missed the fact that they were in the world series in 2007. Not to mention that as a hitter, it's the best place in the world to inflate your stats.

Somebody has been smoking too much of that Oregon hippy hay. Christ

I live 20 minutes from this kid and have watched him play football and baseball in our high school conference for some time now. I do not know him or his family, but from what I understand from people who are close to his family(its a small sports town down here), play with/against him, etc. , they all say he genuinely LOVES the idea of playing football/baseball at Nebraska(and in Big 10) and all you hear about him is not him trying to build up his draft stock.

I think (and hear) he's still a kid at so many levels who just loves to play. but now its time to get professional about it..... he has grown up decisions to make and I cannot see him coming here. Look no farther than Blake Lawrence as an example of what can happen, another kid from Shawnee Misson HS here in KC. Way too much risk to play football..

Bubba needs to pull the page out of the Chris Wenke play book... go take a run at MLB, get them to pay for school if it doent work out as part of his signing, and see what happens.then, if MLB doesnt work out, come to Lincoln with $3M or $4M in the bank, sweet ride, nice crib, untouchable by the NCAA, not havin to sell jerseys for tats, and beating coeds back at the door with a stick, torching big 10 defenses, getting a heisman and getting us a NC at 26. Just like Chris did... all of the finest things in life...

I give it 0.00% chance he is in Lincoln come fall. I will enjoy watching him play for the royals though....of course when he gets good, they'll trade him so we can watch him in someone else's world series team.......

If he chooses baseball he won't be back. Two reasons, 1. He's not a bust, he is baseball phenom, 2. We're not in the ACC. B1G defenses hurt.

This guy is to KC what Joe Mauer was to the Twin Cities. I'd say its about 90-10 in favor of baseball.