Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

Beating this OSU team would kinda be like beating a depleted and demoralized Texas team last year.

Except we lost that game.

Don't chalk this up yet.

EXACTLY RIGHT!!!

Except, no one in the AD is putting out a big ad campaign about beating specifically OSU. That was a stupid move, and a recipe for exactly what happened, IMO. Plus, it made us sound like Colorado, circling that one game on the calendar. :facepalm:

you are looking at 8 to 10 years of bad buckeye football. reports from columbus dispatch is they are looking at 4-6 year bowl ban. then a few years to clean this mess up.

Wow. As close to the death penalty as any school could possibly come now a days if true.

How much will the pending violations hurt OSU in their coaching search? I could easily see some of the high profile guys they might want turn down the job because of it.

I think you have to wait till the sanctions before you can determine that. Keep in mind it wasn't lack of institutional control, so for all we know, we may just have to forfeit the 2010 regular season and that's it.

Also remember Ohio State is a destination school for coaches.

Remember, USC went out and got Kiffin in the midst of all their turmoil.

USC also got lack of institutional control.

I don't see Kiffin as that big of a get at all. Other than his dad, so what?

I don't get the Lane Kiffin hype, either. He's 15-11 as a college coach, 5-15 in the NFL. His main caveat is that he's taken over programs in disarray at Oakland and Tennessee, but he has all the talent in the world at USC and he went 8-5 last year. Their last four recruiting classes were all top-ten. How do you lose five games with that level of (alleged) talent?

I don't get the Lane Kiffin hype, either. He's 15-11 as a college coach, 5-15 in the NFL. His main caveat is that he's taken over programs in disarray at Oakland and Tennessee, but he has all the talent in the world at USC and he went 8-5 last year. Their last four recruiting classes were all top-ten. How do you lose five games with that level of (alleged) talent?

The defense wasn't very good under their new system from the games I saw (oregon and one other). The Oregon game for instance they were defending the run pretty well and quick passes to the sideline. Just someone forgot that Maehl is pretty good and they let him get open in the middle of the field all game long because their secondary was biting on fakes getting torched, getting swamped under the offensive play speed, and just playing confused for the entire second half that I saw at least.

Edit: but that's not to defend Kiffen who I don't think is a good coach either and is as sleazy a coach as you'll find in college. Just my estimation as to why they lost those games.

2. Husker-mania. Hoke and Michigan aren't the lone beneficiaries from Ohio State's impending fall. The Buckeyes would've picked by most to win their division and a seventh consecutive Big Ten title. But given the tumult, it may be difficult for the Buckeyes to continue their run of dominance. Wisconsin could emerge as the new favorite to win the Big Ten Leaders Division, and Penn State also could seriously challenge for the division crown if it settles its issue at quarterback. The new overall favorite in the Big Ten? Nebraska. In their first season in the Big Ten, look for the Huskers to win the Legends Division and the inaugural Big Ten title game.

From a Rivals article about who benefits from Tressel's departure. LINK

No matter the talent any year with a first head coach is going to have its ups and downs. USC's defense was bad last year. I remember watching the USC vs. Hawaii game and watching Hawaii literally do whatever they wanted to USC's defense. It was sad.

That said, I don't buy the Kiffin hype either. Hasn't done enough as a head coach anywhere to warrant the USC job imho. In all honestly, however, it had to have been tough to find a guy to take over the USC job. I'm sure if Carroll had resigned under normal circumstances and USC was not in the NCAA's crosshairs, they would have gotten a better hire. The Kiffin hire is insane. He'll be gone before too long.

After reading http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1919246 I'm really starting to wonder.

A lot of people seem to think that this whole mess is due to Pryor & to a lessor extent, the other 4 tat boys. Roll the clock back 9 years and think about what Clarett claimed in 2002, and then look at what just went down at OSU. It's really starting to look like this was the norm, rather than things just getting out of hand for a few stars.

Tressel was very, very highly thought of at OSU-and everywhere else for that matter. Few coaches are viewed as squeaky clean as this holy roller was-and it's starting to look like it was one big phony front, and that he's nothing but a lying, cheating fraud.