BCS Standings- Computers hate Wisconsin

Important to remember: A few years ago, a number of vocal fans and media members cried because some teams were seen as running up the score in blowouts in order to gain a few extra thousandths in the computer ratings. As a knee-jerk reaction, the BCS committee made an unthinking move and forced the computers to take margin of victory out of their equations, or be replaced. Never mind the fact that the pollsters (and one would think, any rational entity trying to rate closely-matched teams based on game results) quite obviously consider margin of victory for every game. Ex. a 14-13 win by Oklahoma over Texas is not the same as a 55-17 win.

Wisconsin has played a crappy schedule overall, but they have thoroughly dominated all games against lesser opponents. In the old, less PC but clearly superior BCS, Wisconsin would be higher in the computers. Sagarin and Massey still publish there MOV ratings alongside their official BCS ratings.

Wisconsin rankings, Without MOV (With MOV)

Sagarin: 26th (14th)

Massey: 17th (7th)

• Fire 2

^^This is a great point. They went too far by taking the MOV completely out.

I wonder if it should have a sliding scale compared to the team that they beat over all ranking. MOV/Ranking

Example: Beat the worst team by 31. 31/120 gets you .258 because that is really unimpressive.

Beat Nebraska by 31. 31/14 gets you 2.214

Divide the final number by what ever power of 10 you need to balance it with the other factors the computers use.

Smoke New Mexico who cares.

Smoke Nebraska earn some credit.

My gut feeling is Clemson and/or Stanford jump Boise State before it's all said and done. I think OU will get their heads screwed on straight again and beat Okie State. I admire what Bill Snyder has done a second time around, but there's not a chance in Hades KState wins out. Both Clemson and Stanford have a couple of road blocks left in their schedule, but I think at least one of them goes undefeated. If both lose, then it's quite possible Boise could get into the big show this year.

Please. This argument is so old, especially when everyone claims it will happen every time Boise plays a 'legitimate' team, and they win almost every time. They're a better football team than Nebraska, that's for certain.

+1. They would hang 50 on us without a doubt.

I dunno. Who has Boise beat lately? They don’t play much of a regular season schedule. So far this year they beat a mediocre Georgia team—a team that just squeaked by Vandy by 4 pts last week. Last year their big win was a 3 pt win over a Va Tech team that struggled mightily at the beginning of the season (got beat by James Madison the next week. Ha ha.) In 2009 Boise beat a two-loss Oregon team the first game of the year. Oregon eventually finished 16th and was perhaps Boise’s greatest victory. In 2008 Boise’s big win was a three-loss Oregon team that finished 17th. In 2003-2006 they didn’t beat any ranked teams. What about Boise’s bowl games? They beat the Sooners in 2006 (Jan 1 Fiesta bowl). And that’s about it. Lost to East Carolina in 2007. Lost to TCU in 2008. Beat TCU in 2009 (Whoopie!). Beat Utah last year (double whoopee!)

My point is, everyone always talks about Boise like they are giant killers. But they’re not. They only play one or two marginally tough regular season games per year. And their Bowl record is okay, but nothing special. I wish Boise would get into the Big 12. They’d get pummeled a half dozen times per year. They'd have to figure out how to wash the red blood stains off of that blue field.

• Fire 1

Please. This argument is so old, especially when everyone claims it will happen every time Boise plays a 'legitimate' team, and they win almost every time. They're a better football team than Nebraska, that's for certain.

+1. They would hang 50 on us without a doubt.

I dunno. Who has Boise beat lately? They don’t play much of a regular season schedule. So far this year they beat a mediocre Georgia team—a team that just squeaked by Vandy by 4 pts last week. Last year their big win was a 3 pt win over a Va Tech team that struggled mightily at the beginning of the season (got beat by James Madison the next week. Ha ha.) In 2009 Boise beat a two-loss Oregon team the first game of the year. Oregon eventually finished 16th and was perhaps Boise’s greatest victory. In 2008 Boise’s big win was a three-loss Oregon team that finished 17th. In 2003-2006 they didn’t beat any ranked teams. What about Boise’s bowl games? They beat the Sooners in 2006 (Jan 1 Fiesta bowl). And that’s about it. Lost to East Carolina in 2007. Lost to TCU in 2008. Beat TCU in 2009 (Whoopie!). Beat Utah last year (double whoopee!)

My point is, everyone always talks about Boise like they are giant killers. But they’re not. They only play one or two marginally tough regular season games per year. And their Bowl record is okay, but nothing special. I wish Boise would get into the Big 12. They’d get pummeled a half dozen times per year. They'd have to figure out how to wash the red blood stains off of that blue field.

I don't think Boise is giant killers and I was on the no respect for them bandwagon for a long time. But, when I compare them to my favorite team (probably a mistake) I can't help but be somewhat impressed with them lately. I also believe they would struggle in the Big 12 or B1G but I sure don't think the Huskers are ready to strap it up with them yet.

2011 Georgia W 35-21 & Fresno St W 57-7

2010 Va Tech W 33-30 & Utah W 26-3

2009 Oregon W 19-8 & TCU W 17-10

They may play in a week conference and may not be world beaters but they have a knack for taking care of business. Until my team can do the saem I see no reason to disparage them. Well, except for that hideous blue field.

Uh...the computers always sort themselves out by the END of the season. That's what it's there for. The END. Not right now. The computer means NOTHING right now. And yes I've finally been won over to the playoff perspective. I hope it's just like the NFL where we see each conference put their champion into the bracket. God won't it be great to see the Big East champ out there like the seahawks were last year?