What Taylor needs to improve upon...

Martinez needs to improve on not being a sophomore. He'll be better as a junior and better as a senior. He'll never be a very good passer, but maybe he can make better decisions with more experience.

True. He won't ever be a Landry Jones [who some people would like to see, but accept that he isn't], but like Beck said, "He could punt it to the guy, so long as he gets it to the right guy". And his decision making will improve as he matures with experience as a QB, much like it does with every other QB in the NCAA. I have yet to see someone regress as he plays more.

I think he has taken some huge leaps in his decision making the last 2 games. Even in the first half of the Ohio State game he was making good decisions. 1 interception in 2 games? I'll take that from Martinez. I think a lot of that can be attributed to Beck as well. We actually saw a screen pass (maybe first time in a year or two) during the Minn game. We saw him check down to Burkehead a number of times against Ohio State. These are all things we have never seen out of Taylor...all of last year or most of this.

Some of that is coming w/ the number of weapons we have offensively as well. Taylor doesn't need to do much outside of distributing the ball. Ganz would be in heaven w/ this offense.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an "amature" D1 athlete nor am I a professional in any sport. Do not base your entire perception of our QB soley on the opinion of a poster.

• Fire 1

Martinez needs to improve on not being a sophomore. He'll be better as a junior and better as a senior. He'll never be a very good passer, but maybe he can make better decisions with more experience.

True. He won't ever be a Landry Jones [who some people would like to see, but accept that he isn't], but like Beck said, "He could punt it to the guy, so long as he gets it to the right guy". And his decision making will improve as he matures with experience as a QB, much like it does with every other QB in the NCAA. I have yet to see someone regress as he plays more.

I think he has taken some huge leaps in his decision making the last 2 games. Even in the first half of the Ohio State game he was making good decisions. 1 interception in 2 games? I'll take that from Martinez. I think a lot of that can be attributed to Beck as well. We actually saw a screen pass (maybe first time in a year or two) during the Minn game. We saw him check down to Burkehead a number of times against Ohio State. These are all things we have never seen out of Taylor...all of last year or most of this.

Some of that is coming w/ the number of weapons we have offensively as well. Taylor doesn't need to do much outside of distributing the ball. Ganz would be in heaven w/ this offense.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an "amature" D1 athlete nor am I a professional in any sport. Do not base your entire perception of our QB soley on the opinion of a poster.

I agree with what you said in this post.

That, and your disclaimer too

Could all of you passing experts please upload videos of yourselves demonstrating the perfect footwork and throwing motion required to hit our WR's right in the hands, just to have them drop it?

Thanks in advance

I always forget the requirement that you yourself must be a professional prior to commenting on a forum. crap. my bad.

If that's the case, I'm going to get VERY lonely posting replies to myself

The one thing I'd love to see Martinez improve on is his escapability from the pocket when it breaks down. Wilson gashed us when his pocket broke down. Martinez usually gets sacked when his pocket breaks down. With his speed, he should be able to gash defenses when the pocket breaks down.

That's a good point. But answer this - do you think Taylor 2011 is as fast as Taylor 2010? I don't. I think he's clearly lost a step, and I wonder about that ankle. How many folks last year posted here that they'd had the same kind of "high ankle sprain" that Martinez had and it still bothered them years later? I vaguely remember several posts like that.

For evidence (and this could all be total BS), look at Taylor's run on the Option where Legate stayed with him all the way down the field - I think that was in the Fresno game? Look at Bell's reverse in the Minnesota game, and how easily Bell outstrips Martinez. Look at how many times he's been run down by defenders, including linebackers. With that elite 2010 speed he showed NOBODY caught him. Now we're seeing him get caught often.

Maybe that's all circumstantial and has more to do with teams focusing on him more than anything else, but while 2011 Taylor is fast, I just don't think he's recovered that high-end burst he used to have.

Well...put it this way, when tissue whether it be ligament, tendon, muscle...in this case, it was a ligament issue. Well, that ligament will never EVER be the same. It'll typically heal up to about 70% of the original ligaments strength...this puts that ligament in a compromised position that could lead to reinjury down the road. I hope Taylor stays healthy, but he will also be more susceptible to reinjure that ligament tissue. I totally agree with you, he definitely has lost a step in the speed dept. I think he looked pretty damn fast in the first few games, then at around game 3, you could start to see his speed decline slighty with your evidence above. I don't think we will ever see Taylor get back to his original speed ever again, but he still quite quick and is still a homerun threat with his legs.

As far as the Eric Crouch vs. TMart comparison goes... Is that even a valid question?

They ran different offenses with different players in different eras of college football. This is an extremely simplified way of looking at it, but it still bears mentioning I think.

Also, as far as how Ganz would do in this offense... It clearly would not be the same offense. We would not run much if any zone read, as Joey was mobile when he needed to escape a pocket, but he just wouldn''t have the wheels for it. Or the power option, for that matter. Therefore, the offense would be different if Ganz was your starter. Now, if you're saying Joe could've done a lot better with the PLAYERS we have now, that would be another thing...

I didn't read this whole thread but was frustrated after reading the first 10 or so posts stating how great eric crouch is and how much better of a runner he is than Martinez. Eric Crouch was great but lets compare both of their sophomore years to see who is the better runner and passer.

Eric Crouch Full season

Passing completion % 51.9, 83 out of 160, 7TD's, 4 INT's Rushing 4.9 ypc 180 attempts 16TD's

Martinez current year only 7 games played

Passing completion % 54.97 83 out of 151, 7TD's, 6 INT's Rushing 5.78 ypc, 110 attempts 9TD's

Taylor's numbers are right on par if not better in all area's except for 2 INT's with 9 fewer passes. Those who say right now that Eric was a better runner might want to look at the ypc versus how pretty a run is before saying that Eric was the better runner as a sophomore. Looking at these stats makes me excited to see if Taylor can grow like Crouch and be our next potential Heisman winner at this point you can say he is on par. Lets give this kid some credit. New offense, New Coach, New Conference and yet he is still on par. Thanks for letting me ramble :) GBR!!!

If you seriously consider statistics to tell the whole story then you have problems. If you think that Martinez is as good a runner as Crouch and has the same combination of elusiveness, vision and speed you are sadly mistaken. Frazier's rushing stats weren't great either.

So numbers or results "don't matter".

Right!

GBR!

Taylor can improve on his knowledge of the race in the conference. I am sure he is just "down playing the game" but c'mon.

""We just have to take each game one at a time. It doesn't matter if we lose this game. Michigan State might lose to someone else. This doesn't have to be a key game for us."

That is straight from the presser today. Another zinger.

And for the record, I say yeag it does matter.

• Fire 1

Taylor can improve on his knowledge of the race in the conference. I am sure he is just "down playing the game" but c'mon.

""We just have to take each game one at a time. It doesn't matter if we lose this game. Michigan State might lose to someone else. This doesn't have to be a key game for us."

That is straight from the presser today. Another zinger.

And for the record, I say yeag it does matter.

Okay, if our starting qb is saying it, I'll follow. Who cares if we lose this game? Championships are overrated anyways.

My Eric Crouch vs TMart comparison is being taken way out of context. That's mostly my fault, so for that I apologize and I will clarify.

There's obviously a lot of differences between the two, differences we could spend a whole thread talking about. I didn't mean Martinez possessed any of the qualities Crouch did, nor that he doesn't. I was merely comparing the speed and shiftiness of the two, and was not regarding any other factors. Again, my apologies for not clarifying..

But in comparisons of speed and shiftiness, I meant that Martinez is just as if not faster than Crouch, but Crouch had the shiftiness and vision that Martinez is too timid to use or just doesn't have.

I was in no way, shape or form trying to compare them between all of their personal quarterback characteristics. But I obviously didn't clarify.

I didn't read this whole thread but was frustrated after reading the first 10 or so posts stating how great eric crouch is and how much better of a runner he is than Martinez. Eric Crouch was great but lets compare both of their sophomore years to see who is the better runner and passer.

Eric Crouch Full season

Passing completion % 51.9, 83 out of 160, 7TD's, 4 INT's Rushing 4.9 ypc 180 attempts 16TD's

Passing completion % 54.97 83 out of 151, 7TD's, 6 INT's Rushing 5.78 ypc, 110 attempts 9TD's

Taylor's numbers are right on par if not better in all area's except for 2 INT's with 9 fewer passes. Those who say right now that Eric was a better runner might want to look at the ypc versus how pretty a run is before saying that Eric was the better runner as a sophomore. Looking at these stats makes me excited to see if Taylor can grow like Crouch and be our next potential Heisman winner at this point you can say he is on par. Lets give this kid some credit. New offense, New Coach, New Conference and yet he is still on par. Thanks for letting me ramble :) GBR!!!

If you seriously consider statistics to tell the whole story then you have problems. If you think that Martinez is as good a runner as Crouch and has the same combination of elusiveness, vision and speed you are sadly mistaken. Frazier's rushing stats weren't great either.

Right!

GBR!

Yep, that's precisely what I said in my post. You're excellent at reading. Results do matter. Numbers not so much. Average YPC is a pretty misleading statistic. If we get stuffed for no gain 10 times and then bust an 80 yarder our YPC looks pretty good. But we'd have a hard time winning football games that way. Crouch's numbers included games against 5 ranked teams BTW.

• Fire 3

Eric Crouch Full season

Right!

GBR!

"Doesn't tell the whole story" =/= "Doesn't matter"