The Offense is Getting Much Better Under Beck and Co.

Getting back to the old school

It pays to run the football?at least that's what the stats say.

Nebraska currently is averaging 261 rushing yards per game, which is the highest number the Huskers have averaged on the ground since 2002.

Meanwhile the Nebraska offense is currently averaging 37.6 points per game, which is the most NU has averaged since the 90's.

You have to give it to offensive coordinator Tim Beck. His system is not only putting up yards, but it's putting up points and we haven't come close to seeing the Huskers at their best yet. The scary thing you have to ask is how much better can they realistically get?

In a fairly limited game plan NU ranked up 515 yards on 79 plays this past Saturday against Minnesota, after putting up 187 yards on 26 plays against Ohio State in the fourth quarter. That's over 700 yards of offense in five quarters.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1283540

Getting back to the old school

It pays to run the football?at least that's what the stats say.

Nebraska currently is averaging 261 rushing yards per game, which is the highest number the Huskers have averaged on the ground since 2002.

Meanwhile the Nebraska offense is currently averaging 37.6 points per game, which is the most NU has averaged since the 90's.

You have to give it to offensive coordinator Tim Beck. His system is not only putting up yards, but it's putting up points and we haven't come close to seeing the Huskers at their best yet. The scary thing you have to ask is how much better can they realistically get?

In a fairly limited game plan NU ranked up 515 yards on 79 plays this past Saturday against Minnesota, after putting up 187 yards on 26 plays against Ohio State in the fourth quarter. That's over 700 yards of offense in five quarters.

http://nebraska.riva...asp?CID=1283540

Not to mention the yards that we left out on the field with those long pass plays that dropped through the bread basket of our WRs, but then again if the WRs were to have one bad game this year, that was the game I would have chose them to have it.

It is trending properly, however, the teams we have put these numbers up on (with the exception of O$U) have been pretty bad defensively. Even C******n and Watson could put up points on Directional State Tech University. And the B1G (with the exception of MSU and PSU) isn't exactly the most imposing bunch of defenses we have seen.

I'm certainly happier than I was the last two years, but I'm not ready to rank Beck and this offense up with Osborne and his greats.

It is trending properly, however, the teams we have put these numbers up on (with the exception of O$U) have been pretty bad defensively. Even C******n and Watson could put up points on Directional State Tech University. And the B1G (with the exception of MSU and PSU) isn't exactly the most imposing bunch of defenses we have seen.

I'm certainly happier than I was the last two years, but I'm not ready to rank Beck and this offense up with Osborne and his greats.

I agree with the tone of this post. I think a good indication of Beck as the OC is the penalty situation. Not nearly as many delay of game, illegal formation, false starts as we've seen in recent years.

• Fire 2

Those numbers are really misleading. I bet we were averaging that amount of rushing yards last season 7 games in, you can't take half season averages and compare them to full season averages of the past.

While this is true, I think it is fair to think that the offense is showing more consistency from quarter to quarter than it did under Shawn Watson. We don't score 28 points in one quarter and then don't score for the rest of the game...we score here, score there, score there until we have scored 38 points. Something I would rather have over a big quarter then nothing else.

To be perfectly honest I can't say Beck has overly impressed me and at times his playcalling has been downright baffling. For me at least he still has a lot to prove.

What situations are you referring to, specifically? Just curious. Personally, I think he's done a good job overall this year. My only major gripe is how the Wisconsin game went from bad to worse because of pass play after pass play after pass play.

The only pther gripe I had about his playcalling was this last week inside the ten yard line. Twice, a vastly inferior defensive unit forced us to take field goals inside the 10 yard line. I don't think it's because they played better, but it's because we tried to do too much. When we're down in there we just need to man up and take it to a defense that isn't as good as our offense - that means power football. I don't like the option game down there often, nor do I look corner fade routes specifically because it's not a pass that I believe Martinez can make consistently.

Those numbers are really misleading. I bet we were averaging that amount of rushing yards last season 7 games in, you can't take half season averages and compare them to full season averages of the past.

While this is true, I think it is fair to think that the offense is showing more consistency from quarter to quarter than it did under Shawn Watson. We don't score 28 points in one quarter and then don't score for the rest of the game...we score here, score there, score there until we have scored 38 points. Something I would rather have over a big quarter then nothing else.

I was thinking about this, and I ran the numbers:

2011 scoring by quarters:

Chattanooga - 10 - 13 - 17 - 0

Fresno - 7 - 7 -7 - 21

Washington - 10 - 10 - 17 - 14

Wyoming - 7 - 7 - 10 - 14

Wyoming - 7 - 7 - 0 - 3

Ohio State - 3 - 3 - 14 - 14

Minnesota - 10 - 24 - 7 - 0

2010 scoring by quarter through 7 games:

Western Kentucky - 14 - 7- 14 - 14

Idaho - 3 - 28 - 7 - 0

Washington - 14 - 14 - 21 - 7

SDSU - 0 - 14 - 0 - 3

Kansas State - 7 - 10 - 21 - 10

Texas - 0 - 3 - 3 - 7

Oklahoma State - 14 - 17 - 10 - 10

While you do have a point, as of right now it's a marginable difference (the difference in consistency from game to game is better too, but also not by much). The second half of last season made everyone change their tune VERY quickly from our offense being great to our offense being the worst ever. We'll see what happens this year.

I agree with the tone of this post. I think a good indication of Beck as the OC is the penalty situation. Not nearly as many delay of game, illegal formation, false starts as we've seen in recent years.

That's an excellent point. Ugh, the penalties the past couple of years were driving me crazy. Although I still think some of the penalties last year were parting "gifts" from the Big 12.

The offense is looking good but has a long way to go. I think the big step they need to take next is learning how to finish drives off. We have stalled out in the redzone quite about.

This and working in the WRs more.

With the exception of the Minnesota game, our young WRs have done a very good job so far this year. We *have* to work them more into the offense to take advantage of their speed and skill. If that means more bubble screens, short-yardage passes, and reverses, so be it--just so long as we give these WRs a chance to take the workload off of Rex and the young RBs.