WE WANT STOOPS!!!

Is he the recruiter/closer that we really need? Or is coaching his forte' and he will design a better defense to get us out of the two-gap, no pressure on the QB defense and into an attack the QB one? Is he both? If he's both, HIRE HIM NOW!!

Yes, yes, yes. We have to post the position for 15 days. Hasn't been posted yet.

We all know that the Pelinis and the Stoops have a long history of friendship from Youngstown. We saw Bo and Mike have a long, friendly chat after the Nebraska-Arizona game. Does this relationship give us better odds that MS will be our next DC? But it isn't necessarily that black and white. Would Bo give him enough control of the defense to satisfy him, would he want to deal with Bo's temper, would the university be willing to pay him $500,000-plus? Bo would also have to consider that MS may be here for two to three years at best before he perhaps finds another HC job. So, on the surface, it seems to make sense to hire him. But is it really? Seems like a lot more complicated and a lot of hurdles.

Where am I going wrong with this?

Sipple has already said the money is there, and if Mike says he wants 'X' and Bo wants to bring him in, I'm sure Bo is professional enough to acquiesce. Mike brings both a recruiting prowess and one of the few defensive minds that I can easily say would equal or surpass that of Carl's (IMO).

Plus, Mike is just as hot-blooded as Bo and Carl, so it's not like we're putting the Incredible Hulk in as DC or anything. And people have remarked that we have potential DC talent in our staff now, but that it needs a few years to simmer--hiring Stoops would provide us that time, *and* provide a first-hand class in how to be an effective DC.

It's a win-win situation if there ever was one, IMO. I'm sure Mike would command $750k/yr., at least, and he would be worth every penny.

What does that kind of salary package portend for any potential chemistry issues with our OTHER coordinator and/or staff ?

Stoops obviously knows his stuff, but he won't be a DC for long. He'll get another HC job and then leave. Do we really want to bring him in for what could be just a year or maybe two?

Won't that happen with any candidate we bring in who's any good? If they suck they'll stick around for a long time, but if they're good they will be moving on and moving up. The years of all the assistancts staying on like we had under Osborne are gone. Nobody is going to stay an assistant on a staff for 20 years anymore.

Very well said. My brother in-law and I had a discussion about that. We know live in the win now at all cost world. Coaches weren't getting turned over like they are now. Also big school only want the young up and comer unless you have a history of winning.

Is he the recruiter/closer that we really need? Or is coaching his forte' and he will design a better defense to get us out of the two-gap, no pressure on the QB defense and into an attack the QB one? Is he both? If he's both, HIRE HIM NOW!!

Yes, yes, yes. We have to post the position for 15 days. Hasn't been posted yet.

We all know that the Pelinis and the Stoops have a long history of friendship from Youngstown. We saw Bo and Mike have a long, friendly chat after the Nebraska-Arizona game. Does this relationship give us better odds that MS will be our next DC? But it isn't necessarily that black and white. Would Bo give him enough control of the defense to satisfy him, would he want to deal with Bo's temper, would the university be willing to pay him $500,000-plus? Bo would also have to consider that MS may be here for two to three years at best before he perhaps finds another HC job. So, on the surface, it seems to make sense to hire him. But is it really? Seems like a lot more complicated and a lot of hurdles.

Sipple has already said the money is there, and if Mike says he wants 'X' and Bo wants to bring him in, I'm sure Bo is professional enough to acquiesce. Mike brings both a recruiting prowess and one of the few defensive minds that I can easily say would equal or surpass that of Carl's (IMO).

Plus, Mike is just as hot-blooded as Bo and Carl, so it's not like we're putting the Incredible Hulk in as DC or anything. And people have remarked that we have potential DC talent in our staff now, but that it needs a few years to simmer--hiring Stoops would provide us that time, *and* provide a first-hand class in how to be an effective DC.

It's a win-win situation if there ever was one, IMO. I'm sure Mike would command $750k/yr., at least, and he would be worth every penny.

What does that kind of salary package portend for any potential chemistry issues with our OTHER coordinator and/or staff ?

Are you referring to Beck? Isn't he a Youngstown guy too?

No he's referring to the fact a guy like Stoops or Zook getting a fat salary, let's just say like 600k. The rest of the assistants, who have been getting raises the last couple of years, don't make close to that kind of cheddar. They may get pissed that a "hired gun" who is in his first year here is making a lot more than they are.

Th AD department has been fairly fickle with assistant coaches salaries in comparison to the other "big boys" in college football

No he's referring to the fact a guy like Stoops or Zook getting a fat salary, let's just say like 600k. The rest of the assistants, who have been getting raises the last couple of years, don't make close to that kind of cheddar. They may get pissed that a "hired gun" who is in his first year here is making a lot more than they are.

Th AD department has been fairly fickle with assistant coaches salaries in comparison to the other "big boys" in college football

Ok. But if the newly hired person had more experience than the assistants doesn't that count for something? I liken it to when we high a teacher right out of college and they teach for a couple of years but then a new teacher comes in that might have 15 years experience. That person will get paid more simply because he/she is more experienced. Would it be the same for a football DC?