How would YOU fix this Defense?

To add to it AUSTINHUSKER,

There is not a single team in the nation Rex would not carry the ball for. Stanford wanted him badly his senior year. Texas came in late as well.

Rex is a bluecollar, tough runner between the tackles..........but in 284 rushing attempts in 2011, his longest runs were 52, 45 and 22 yards.......he is by no means an electric runner or a threat to take it to the house.

There is not a single team in the nation Rex would not carry the ball for. Stanford wanted him badly his senior year. Texas came in late as well.

Rex is a bluecollar, tough runner between the tackles..........but in 284 rushing attempts in 2011, his longest runs were 52, 45 and 22 yards.......he is by no means an electric runner or a threat to take it to the house.

True enough but he's one of the very few and possibly "only" rb in the nation who could still have good rushing stats with our Oline. Seriously, he broke through many, many tackles behind the LOS all year long to still get 3 or more yds.

That's one big reason why the triplets didn't see as much action this year as anticipated. SRex was the only choice.

1) Recruit top notch athletes aka 4 and 5* players.

2) Change to an attacking defense where the DE's can rush more instead of playing contain. Yes, mobile QB's need to be "contained" but MSU (and VT to a large degree) showed how you contain a big time "mobile QB" like Denard.

3) Recruit.

4) Get better DL play. I guess the hiring of Kaczyinski is a step....

5) Recruit.

I'm sure Bo's been picking up the 3 stars and walkons just out of spite. 4 and 5 star players, hell that's not asking for much.

think we lower taxes and get fuel back to a buck a gallon while we're at it.

That's not the point. Or maybe you just can't comprehend. The statement about Bo's recruiting is that he's either not involved as much or just plain SUCKS at it.

Again, how many guys that Bo's recruited out of HS have become difference makers? Rex? Please. Rex is good/decent for the garbage offense we run now but don't tell me that Oregon, MI or WI are salivating over Rex. Other than Rex and maybe Bell.... there's no one who seems to be a great player that would match up with teams in the top 10. No one.

Looking at Stanford, Oregon, MI, OkieLite. Hell, even WVA and Clemson is embarrassing. Our talent level is MAC-worthy. Cory Raymond pretty much eluded to that.

AUSTINHUSKER PLEASE READ:

I don't come around here as often as I did, mainly because of a certain group of people, but that is neither here nor there.

From just reading a few of your posts I can tell that you don't have a very good grip on what is really happening within our football program at NU. I have followed recruiting religiously since the 2007 class and I can assure you that since the later part of 2010, we have the right people in the right places as far as recruiting goes. Hence the finish to the 2010 class and the full 2011 class. To claim that Bo has not learned anything in regards to how to recruit is plain ignorant. We lost a lot of players from that 2008 class that were committed to Callahan. That would have given Bo around 2 months tops to recruit and he still pulled Dennard from Georgia. Those kids would have been Juniors/Seniors this year. We lost Dan Hoch, Bryce Givens, Tevor Robinson, and Riley Reiff. A lot of people forget Reiff was actually committed to us first. Do you think that would have helped this year if Bo had more time?

Ya, the current product is the result of meh classes, way too many misses. Took too long but lessons HAVE been learned and we are upgrading the talent.

Agreed, but to claim that Rex couldnt contribute on the affirmentioned teams is stupid. He would have significant roles in all of those offenses.

Based on Bo's defensive success I don't think the scheme is a problem. I think we just need to improve the talent level.

I've come to agree with this line of thinking. We just need better players more effectively executing our scheme. The interesting thing, however, is I think we have a lot of really good talent on this team, but for whatever reason they just weren't getting it this last year (guys like Osborne). I would say, however, that I'd prefer us to have more of a pass rush without having to rely on a Suh-like character. I don't like watching our defensive line get pushed around for six seconds, only to see them procure coverage sacks every now and then. I want to see us getting in there fast, quick and competing with opposing linemen.

The way Bo runs coverage is as good as anybody in the nation. The coverage scheme is top notch, but it is predicated on the scheme of the DL.

I think the solution is to work up that DL. Hopefully the new coach does something for us there.

What ever happened to all those DTs who were blowing up our coaches' phones while Suh was here? Regardless, we need our DL to step up.

I like Baker and Rome. I've been critical of Baker, maybe too critical, but he impressed me the last half of the season. I don't even know what to say about defensive ends. They've been non-existent in the Pelini era. I would reconsider whatever the hell I'm teaching those guys to do if I was Pelini. Agree with zoogies in that I'm just hoping Kaz makes something happen there. In the Capital One Bowl, the first play of the game, I saw Cam stand straight up out of his stance, put his hands on the OT, and just stand there. Didn't chop his feet, make a move, or anything. Literally just stood there. I don't know what the hell that is, but that's got to go.

I don't know if I buy Osborne's "doghouse" stuff, I think his shoulder was just not right. I haven't heard anything that suggests the coaches were lying about that. No reason to think they would. Either way if he can get back to where he was in 2010, we can be pretty good at Safety. Green was definately the most improved player on the team in 2011. No question in my mind. With Smoove coming in early to learn the D, I'm cautiously optimistic we can have a pretty darn good secondary. Then again, I thought our secondary this last year would be a lot better than it was, so who knows...

LB has me concerned. Compton came on strong, Whaley is serviceable, we have a lot of good recruits coming in, but they're young. I think Rose or Zaire can play right away, but who knows what we'll get out of them. Santos, Pirman, Aflava, again who knows? You just don't replace a Lavonte David.

I don't know if there's a quick fix, but I did see some steady improvements from the D as a unit as the year went on. I think the biggest thing to stress in the offseason is fundamentals. I want to see better tackling from the whole defense.

Sorry if someone mentioned this, I was too lazy to read all posts, but I would really try to sneak 12 men on the field as much as possible... Strength in numbers is what I say..... Wait, that would just be another penalty for an already undisciplined team... Crap, sounded good.

Seriously, I think that the defense doesn't need a lot. I was worried a year ago how well we would "match up" with the Big 10. As soon as we get a little bigger LBs.... (which I thought Compton came a LONG way this year)..... I really comes down to playing PHYSICAL football. The Big 12 was more finess' (sp), and the Big 10 is more physical. It will come with the attitude and work ethic of the guys we recruit.

Bo CAN coach up a good defense. Give the staff a year or two to get to "know" the teams in the conference and we will be fine. It was like we were preparing for a "bowl" opponent every week, without the traditional month you get. Until you see how teams like to "attack" you, it is more difficult to scheme. Yes, we should have been able to make "in game" adjustments, but not as effective changing on the fly.

** I am not making excuses... just saying that give it a little time and recruit Big 10 caliber (style) of players.