CB Priest Willis [UCLA Commit]

BIG ERN

Biggest issue with our DT recruiting was from what I've heard Carl had this "I can make anyone a star," mentality.

I remember Carl boasting about how the top DTs had his phone ringing off the hook late in 2009 wanting to come play for us. I guess he decided to ignore them? Because we sure didn't parlay Suh into some stud DT classes.

Biggest issue with our DT recruiting was from what I've heard Carl had this "I can make anyone a star," mentality.

I remember Carl boasting about how the top DTs had his phone ringing off the hook late in 2009 wanting to come play for us. I guess he decided to ignore them? Because we sure didn't parlay Suh into some stud DT classes.

I would like to see Suh do a DL camp in Lincoln that would ultimately create another Big Red Weekend for us over the summer.

We did TE a ton of calls from players after the Texas game that year. I am more than happy with Curry and Valentine though.

I truly believe Nebraska's difficulty getting top notch defensive linemen is a direct result of the two gap scheme we utilize. It's very tough to play, lots of guys aren't physically capable of playing it because it requires so much upper body strength. Especially against the larger offensive lines. On top of that, the two gap is not coached or used frequently in high school due to the physical but more so mental part of it. You really have to understand where the vulnerabilities are and not allow yourself to be moved out of your gap, all while trying to stay home and not over pursue. I've never tried to play it but it doesn't sound nearly as easy as a single gap where you can pin your ears back a bit and funnel players to the LBErs. Not a lot of big numbers come out of the two gap scheme either. Clearly Suh was an exception, but Suh would have dominated no matter where he played or what scheme. Fact is, sack numbers and TFL numbers drop dramatically in a two gap because you are simply not asked to make those penetrating plays. Fact is, if it were me personally, as a high school recruit, I would much rather play somewhere else in an easier scheme and get the career numbers that put me in the NFL.