CB Priest Willis [UCLA Commit]

BIG ERN

Alright, I found the answer from the NCAA:

"The reduction in football scholarships will begin with the 2012-13 academic year. USC will be able to offer 15 initial scholarships (instead of the maximum of 25) and 75 total scholarships (instead of the maximum of 85) for each of the next three academic years. This reduction will not impact those student-athletes who have already signed for the 2011-12 academic year."

So USC is limited to BOTH 75 total scholarships and 15 per year. So players leaving will not help them get beyond the 15 recruits.

They already have 18 committed... Something tells me there's a way around it.

I would assume, since nothing is official until they sign a letter of inent, they have until national signing day to ditch some of these committed kids? I have no idea, other than it being U$C, how they would get away with doing that though. But hey, what do I know, I'm not a snake like Kiffin, so I don't understand underhanded thought process.

P.S. I love Willis and hope he comes to Nebraska when all is said and done.

3 of their commits will enroll early and count against last years class.

Alright, I found the answer from the NCAA:

"The reduction in football scholarships will begin with the 2012-13 academic year. USC will be able to offer 15 initial scholarships (instead of the maximum of 25) and 75 total scholarships (instead of the maximum of 85) for each of the next three academic years. This reduction will not impact those student-athletes who have already signed for the 2011-12 academic year."

So USC is limited to BOTH 75 total scholarships and 15 per year. So players leaving will not help them get beyond the 15 recruits.

They already have 18 committed... Something tells me there's a way around it.

I would assume, since nothing is official until they sign a letter of inent, they have until national signing day to ditch some of these committed kids? I have no idea, other than it being U$C, how they would get away with doing that though. But hey, what do I know, I'm not a snake like Kiffin, so I don't understand underhanded thought process.

P.S. I love Willis and hope he comes to Nebraska when all is said and done.

3 of their commits will enroll early count against last years class.

The early enrollies still cou t against that class. When we have one from the 2013 class enroll early, he counts against us for 2013. I don't understand the argument unless I am possibly missing part of it.

Some help..?

so does that mean lacotoure, courtney love will count as last years class? they will both be early enrollees. and lets face it no matter what if preist willis wanted to go to usc they would absolutely find a way to make room for him somehow. he is that special of a player

Early enrollees can count for the prior year's class (technically it is that school year, after all) if there were unfilled scholarships for that class. Fairly certain we've done it in the past. I believe with that big 2005 class.

There isn't a way to back track schollys. The wording is "the 2011-12 school year." this is the 12-13. Early enrollies count against the class that they would have graduated with.

Ez - then please explain to me how we took more than 25 scholarship players in the 2005 class. Yes, I know not all of them qualified and I think Hickman greyshirted, but we still took more than 25. The reason we were able to is that a few of the early enrollees were counted for the previous year's class (that is, the 2004 class, as they enrolled at semester of the 2004-2005 school year).

It isn't that hard to google examples of other schools back counting early enrollees either.

In a grey shirt situation, said player counts against the next years class. When CL and a few others enroll early this year they will still count against the 2013 class. Also, in our 2005 situation, I don't believe class size mattered. Only the 85 limitation did.

In our situation, the number 85 is the only one that matters, but early enrollies still count against that particular class.

I know how a greyshirt works and that's not what we're talking about. Also, why on earth would the 25 scholarship limit not apply to the 2005 class? There were clearly more than 25 scholarship players in that class that either enrolled early (January of 2005) or arrived in the fall of 2005. Please explain how that's possible if not for back counting of early enrollees.

Also, have you reviewed the quotes from coach richt in the link I posted?

I know how a greyshirt works and that's not what we're talking about. Also, why on earth would the 25 scholarship limit not apply to the 2005 class? There were clearly more than 25 scholarship players in that class that either enrolled early (January of 2005) or arrived in the fall of 2005. Please explain how that's possible if not for back counting of early enrollees.

Also, have you reviewed the quotes from coach richt in the link I posted?

Seems like this is geared towards new rules in the SEC, does each conference treat early enrollees differently?

Edit: Aside from getting players ready to play sooner, early enrollment also provides another benefit for college football programs.

If a recruit enrolls in January and attends class, he can be counted toward the previous year's recruiting class. Programs can hand out no more than 25 scholarships per year and have a total of 85 scholarship players on the roster.

A program that is well below 85 scholarship players on the roster can rebuild with the help of early enrollees. Lane Kiffin used this approach to restock USC's depleted roster during his first two seasons with the Trojans.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/feb/01/early-enrollment-cuts-down-on-signing-day-drama/

If a school has open scholarships from the previous year, the early enrollees will take up those scholarships but still count against the current years numbers. So if it still doesn't matter if USC has open schollies from the previous year, the early enrollees still count against this years class. They can take no more then 15 kids and that is including the early enrollees that use last years scholarships.

Read here: http://espn.go.com/c...ecruiting-class

USC coach Lane Kiffin announced the signing of 12 players during his national signing day press conference Wednesday evening.

The haul includes 11 high school players and one junior college transfer, which allows three available scholarships to be used for early enrollees from the class of 2013.

So....USC can bring in 18 recruits this class - 3 would have to be early enrollees that will count towards 2012. They currently have 18 verbals so they are full at this point.