Bo statement

Give me a friggin' break!! If I was a player I would look forward to having the opportunity to play that Spring game and organize my life around that one event in the spring to prove what I had...kind of like showing up for practice. It is expected of you. This team is being coddled to the point of making me personally ill.

Ok, let the flaming begin...I don't care, I am sick of watching sub-par play year after year, with them having the attitude that we should be grateful for it. Nebraska fans expect championship caliber play...we have not gotten even a conference in years. It's bad enough to hear the excuses for this team from the people on this board that believe that the coaching staff and players cannot do any wrong, but when the coaching staff is making excuses not to have a game because some of the players have "family issues"....give me a break...they have gone too far. This team is not good enough to rest on it's laurels...they rank outside even the top 50 in a lot of catagories in the NCAA. They have a lot of room for improvement, and shouild be taking every opportunity to find that improvement.

Can you imagine Lombardi or Devaney saying something like what Bo said? NOT!! Coaches are supposed to push players to be their best, even if it means being hard on them, not making excuses and coddling them. Heck, lets all just go down to one of the bars down town guys and sit around and brag about how much better they are than the championship teams from the past decades, why bother even showing up to prove it on the field?

Grow up!! Either play ball or go home and be coddled by your parents. NO MORE EXCUSES!!

After the spring game was called off, Bo had the team vote to have the game on Sunday and most of the players had plans with family, studying for test, or projects that were due. So you're basically saying screw the players, their school work, and their families because they should put everything down to play a scrimmage for the fans? School work and family come before Football.

The last two Saturdays the Huskers have held scrimmages where they ran 100 players of the offense that we'll be able to witness in 4 1/2 months. Rex probably wasn't going to play in the spring game and if he was it was probably going to be one or two series just like Martinez. Both the offense and defense were going to be very vanilla and boring. Not to mention by not having a spring game, all of our players didn't sustain any major injuries plus even without a scrimmage two or three of our top recruits came out of their visit with Nebraska as the top contender.

There are a lot of selfish Husker fans right now and its very disturbing and embarrassing reading comments posted on various Husker blogs within the last 24 hours.

I love the "They are not going to use the 15th pratice?" crowd.

1. If you think they are not practicing, you are nuts.

2. They are going to "practice" still, it just wont be the "practice" you are thinking of.

Oh. Please explain this. Well...at least the part where they're doing it without violating NCAA rules. Always good to have an insider who is in the 'know' and has this pegged.

I love the "They are not going to use the 15th pratice?" crowd.

1. If you think they are not practicing, you are nuts.

2. They are going to "practice" still, it just wont be the "practice" you are thinking of.

Oh. Please explain this. Well...at least the part where they're doing it without violating NCAA rules. Always good to have an insider who is in the 'know' and has this pegged.

Sure, they practice all the time. They run 7 on 7 all year, you don't need coaches to attend it. The team leaders talk to the coaches, the coaches suggest what would be good to work on, then the next day those guys get together and "practice"

Some places call it "Captains Practice"

They also keep lifting, running and conditioning!

Give me a friggin' break!! If I was a player I would look forward to having the opportunity to play that Spring game and organize my life around that one event in the spring to prove what I had...kind of like showing up for practice. It is expected of you. This team is being coddled to the point of making me personally ill.

Ok, let the flaming begin...I don't care, I am sick of watching sub-par play year after year, with them having the attitude that we should be grateful for it. Nebraska fans expect championship caliber play...we have not gotten even a conference in years. It's bad enough to hear the excuses for this team from the people on this board that believe that the coaching staff and players cannot do any wrong, but when the coaching staff is making excuses not to have a game because some of the players have "family issues"....give me a break...they have gone too far. This team is not good enough to rest on it's laurels...they rank outside even the top 50 in a lot of catagories in the NCAA. They have a lot of room for improvement, and shouild be taking every opportunity to find that improvement.

Can you imagine Lombardi or Devaney saying something like what Bo said? NOT!! Coaches are supposed to push players to be their best, even if it means being hard on them, not making excuses and coddling them. Heck, lets all just go down to one of the bars down town guys and sit around and brag about how much better they are than the championship teams from the past decades, why bother even showing up to prove it on the field?

Grow up!! Either play ball or go home and be coddled by your parents. NO MORE EXCUSES!!

Something tells me that you would be the same person to complain about one of our star athletes not being able to keep his grades up because he had too much practice (or some football related issue where his coach isn't coddling him) or if he transfers for "family reasons" because of some football related issue where his coach isn't coddling him.

You do realize that the other extreme (not enough coddling) is just as unhealthy for this team as too much coddling.

These players know what's expected of them and the next time they hit the practice field in the summer before the weeks leading up to fall season, they will go at it 175% (and they know they will be expected to go at 175%).

HT, you are making this ONE practice weigh way more than any other of the practices combined, like because they don't have this one practice, that it suddenly means that we will lose 5 more games.

It's absolutely preposterous

What really should be an eye opener is that canceling the game actually cost the university money........... $400,000 of it.
How did it cost that much? Clauses in tv contracts or something?
news said concessions and merchandise
So they didn't really lose any money, they just didn't turn a profit (aside from the ticket sales). It makes no sense they refuse to refund that money. Deferring to the "no refund" policy is a cop out.

Don't the ticket sales for the spring game go to charity? Isn't that why we don't get in free? So if they were to give refunds: A) The department would lose even more money having to refund the tickets out of their own pockets, or B) Take back the money from the charities that the department gave to them to refund the tickets.

I do not believe all the hub-bub over a cancelled spring game and this was the first I was going to miss in about 15 years. I personally have come to the conclusion that the game itself is very anti-climactic. We go for the party, Fri. nite dinner at the original Misty's, Sat AM tailgate, the bar crawl to the stadium, the tunnel walk and arrival of the team, the first few plays and then the inevitable realization that this is not really a game but mearly a practice. We normally leave at half time. We stop by the Nebraska Book Store, and then back to the tailgate. A few more beers and then out to Brewskies. A couple hours later we fire up the grill and its time for a thick porterhouse steak and some salad. Then its time to break out the Knob Creek and coke. The Sunday trip home is highlighted by a stop at Big Fred's for quite possibly the best pizza on earth. A good time is always had by all. The cost of the weekend is greatly over-shadowed by the good time we have. If your problem with the cancellation is what you spend on gas then you should hve stayed home. If you are passing through Pender at 1:AM you should have left alot earlier and to think that 3 kids under the age of 5 have any concept of what is going on is delusional. Use some common sense and perspective people. What would the situation have produced if Bo hadn't cancelled, 60,000+ fans fill Memorial Stadium and lightning strikes the north end zone or worse yet a tornado hampers TM's throwing motion. All I can say is good decision Bo.

T_O_B

G>B>R

So basically what you're telling me is that if I have kids and would rather see the game then go out and get drunk the night before I might as well stay home? Some of us have real jobs and can't get all the way to Lincoln early enough to do that stuff. Sometimes you do leave at a decent time and kids don't cooperate. If I could have returned the tickets Friday (or even Thursday) when we all knew the weather was going to suck I gladly would have done so for a refund, but sadly we don't get that option. It was either sit at home and throw the 60 bucks in the trash or drive down and hope that we may be able to catch part of the game. I guessed wrong.

So you think I don't have a real job? I have worked at one 'real job' or another for well over 50 years starting with the paper route that I had at 13 years of age. I now own a company that provides in home care to Homebound Veteran's or their widowed spouces. This is a program that the VA will say does not exist, they are either stupid or liars. If this isn't a 'rea ljob' then I don't know what is.

Didn't say anything at all about geting drunk the night before. What I said was that kids who are 5 and under don't care about going to a spring game or a national championship game . My God they are basically todlers and would have more fun sitting on the kitchen floor banging on pots and pans with wooden spoons. By traveling in the wee small hours of the morning on two lane highways when you are admitedly tired you put your family in harms way. Think about it who's out driving at that time of night. Unfortunately an all too high percentage of drunks on the way home from a bar. The next day you get pissed off because Bo doesn't want to be held responsible for the safety of 60,000+ fans sitting in a stadium when dangerous weather is probable. Shame on you sir, this isn't about your children missing a meaningless game that they wouldn't remember anything about 6 hours later. Its about you taking a shot at the University of Nebraska and Head Football Coach Bo Pelini.

T_O_B

My kids stopped beating on pans with wooden spoons at the age of 2. My 5 year old remembers the last 2 spring games he went to and was looking forward to going. What kid wouldn't like being in a place like that and getting to go down to the field? Where exactly did I say that I am pissed that Bo doesn't want to be held responsible for the fan's safety? Where did I take a shot at Bo? I agree that they should have called the game off and I never said otherwise. I just think they could have done it a lot sooner and saved people time. For Christ's sake they knew about the weather being bad 2 days in advance. Even if the weather held off you'd still have a bunch of people out on the highways travelling through it. I would assume that some folks like to look at contingency plans in case things don't work out. Must not be true in Lincoln.

Obviously the players did the right thing by calling off practice. Every player I went to UNL with never skipped a class and was always diligent on their studies, and made their Physical Education, General Studies, or Communication degree their highest priority.

I remember professors calling their names, but they were never there. Don't forget the Sociology degree. That's a popular one too.

• Fire 1

Obviously the players did the right thing by calling off practice. Every player I went to UNL with never skipped a class and was always diligent on their studies, and made their Physical Education, General Studies, or Communication degree their highest priority.

I remember professors calling their names, but they were never there. Don't forget the Sociology degree. That's a popular one too.

I understand the point you are attempting to make, but it's just lame. Every player you went to UNL with skipped class. Congratulations.

I have heard mulitple stories about many that have never missed class. It's like everything else, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I applaud your effort to make the entire football program look like a bunch of rock pounding cavemen.

Cool_story_bro.jpg

We're dealing with two separate issues. Yes, they were totally in the right to cancel on Saturday. That should be a no-brainer. But what stopped them from moving it indoors? What stopped them from playing it yesterday with the players who could and/or wanted to play? You don't have be a salivating, bitter fan to ask those questions.

IIRC, Whaley had some academic issues and basically did not play until late in the season. Quite a few articles written about him not doing the right things off the field. Bo, TO and Co made the right call.

NOt to get too far off track, but like 1% of kids playing college ball today have a shot at the pros. What is wrong with Bo teaching them that there are more important things than football. Teaching kids about priorities and responsibilities........

Living in NC (grew up in NE and remember the Tornado season and the sirens) and seeing the damage to the midwest made me glad the game was cancelled. Still have a few friends that would have been out in that mess.

We're dealing with two separate issues. Yes, they were totally in the right to cancel on Saturday. That should be a no-brainer. But what stopped them from moving it indoors? What stopped them from playing it yesterday with the players who could and/or wanted to play? You don't have be a salivating, bitter fan to ask those questions.

My guess is it had a lot to do with the fact that the Hawks Championship Center is a tin shed with no basement, no storm cellar, and it would have been a difficult proposition to get the roughly 200-250 people (players, coaches, recruits and various family) who would have been allowed to attend that practice into a safe place should a storm have hit.

There were 122 tornadoes Saturday. Here's a link to the storm paths. If even one player, one recruit, one recruit's family member or one fan gets hurt by a storm, the negative press would have been catastrophic. Why risk that?

I lost over $100 Saturday between tickets and concessions waiting for the game to start. Sucks. But at some point you just have to chalk it up to bad luck and move on.

• Fire 1

After the spring game was called off, Bo had the team vote to have the game on Sunday and most of the players had plans with family, studying for test, or projects that were due. So you're basically saying screw the players, their school work, and their families because they should put everything down to play a scrimmage for the fans? School work and family come before Football.

The last two Saturdays the Huskers have held scrimmages where they ran 100 players of the offense that we'll be able to witness in 4 1/2 months. Rex probably wasn't going to play in the spring game and if he was it was probably going to be one or two series just like Martinez. Both the offense and defense were going to be very vanilla and boring. Not to mention by not having a spring game, all of our players didn't sustain any major injuries plus even without a scrimmage two or three of our top recruits came out of their visit with Nebraska as the top contender.

There are a lot of selfish Husker fans right now and its very disturbing and embarrassing reading comments posted on various Husker blogs within the last 24 hours.

Couldn't have said it better myself HJ. How are things in S. Soo?

T_O_B

What really should be an eye opener is that canceling the game actually cost the university money........... $400,000 of it.

How did it cost that much? Clauses in tv contracts or something?

news said concessions and merchandise

So they didn't really lose any money, they just didn't turn a profit (aside from the ticket sales). It makes no sense they refuse to refund that money. Deferring to the "no refund" policy is a cop out.

go back and read #65

I did, and my point still stands.