Dienhart: Things I learned at Nebraska practice

NUance

Watching BTN's Nebraska preview, I was pretty impressed by Taylor's interview. Who is this comfortable, well-spoken young man speaking openly at the BTN desk about his offseason changes? Totally different guy than we've seen in the past.

Yes, I'm in my preseason kool-aid drinking phase.

Is there somewhere I can catch a replay or video of this?

martinez's pocket presence will get better with experience, we gotta remember this guy didnt play a whole lot of qb before he got to NU, and then once he got here he played alot of wr on the practice squad if im not mistaken. he will show major strides in his pocket presence and in his decision making in general. plus him feeling back to 100% is huge for his confidence, when a player is consistently worrying about his injury it hampers his play. that shouldnt be the case this year, plus all the time he put in this off season im sure helped him see the big holes in his game and he probably worked on said holes

I am hoping the deeper drops will help TMart this year with his pocket presence.

Watching BTN's Nebraska preview, I was pretty impressed by Taylor's interview. Who is this comfortable, well-spoken young man speaking openly at the BTN desk about his offseason changes? Totally different guy than we've seen in the past.

Yes, I'm in my preseason kool-aid drinking phase.

No kidding! I wish they would have talked to him a little more. He actually seemed pretty comfortable and looked like he was having a good time. You could still nit pick his public speaking but he's definitely more open now.

@HowardGriffith QB Tommy Armstrong has a chance to be a superstar. Quick and elusive wow! #cornhuskers

@BTNDaveRevsine Armstrong is really impressive physically.We all think he'll be a big-time. Wouldn't shock me if he's 2nd team QB this yr

@swmckewonOWH BTN guys raving about Tommy Armstrong. Tim Beck was high on this kid for a long time. #huskers

With all the hoopla here, do you think Stanton stays commited?

I think Stanton would redshirt and be a star when he is the starter, the way it should be, not come in and be a four year starter. It allows him the time to be ready to be a backup and then the starter, just like in the old days (like in the 90's when kids played as juniors and seniors not freshmen and sometimes sophomores).

Name me a major program that does not have a couple of good quarterbacks in the stable and still recruit one every year? Ohio State has a sophomore as a starter and they were able to pull Barrett. When he shows up on campus next year, he will be staring at a 2 year starter with 2 years to go. This is how it is. No team will ever build depth if they a reliant on starting a true freshman every year. Find one school that has been successful doing that.

On the BTN NU Football Preview last night they said we have 17 D-linemen on our roster. Which is a wealth of big guys for the Blackshirts. Sure enough. We have at least that many. Maybe more.

I have 20 D-linemen listed above. Are all these guys still with the team? I know we had a couple players bail out over the offseason. Can't recall if we lost any D-linemen.

/edit: I moved this list over to the D-linemen thread.

Deedsker you could go back to the same game, I watched it last night, and find a clip of Taylor not dropping back far enough and firing and incomplete pass because he felt pressure from the line. But when you really watch it you see all the LBs drop back into zones opening up enough space for him to slide to a first down. I think some of his indecisiveness will be fixed this year due to maturity and time in the system, but there is definitely room to improve. If you see 10 yards of green take it, if you running and going to get hit DROP don't just slow down, just make a quick decision and stick with it.

I like reading that papuchis installed a 3-4. I had a feeling we might do it and I know it won't be permanent, but I definitely think it is something we are capable of doing personnel wise. Our base I'm guessing is still the same but it never hurts to throw something new at a team and any time we can get more speed on the field defensively I think it makes us a much more aggressive and dangerous team.

I was wondering when the 3-4 talk was gunna finally come out. Been waiting for a few months now.