B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Didn't see this mentioned here yet but News Corp closed its deal on the YES Network yesterday - a few hours after Rutgers became official.

http://www.usatoday....ansion/1718311/

The Big Ten Network being a bundle deal with the Yankees and the Nets explains why Rutgers was valuable after all.

It was mentioned, but I didn't see an article on it until you posted. Thanks for the find.

Now I'm hearing talk of UNC and Kansas being the last 2 to come. I would be alright with that, but it's still not the powerhouse move that I was hoping for.

I can't imagine UNC coming without a dixieland friend.

Most likely the equally as elitist, UVA.

Who said they're stopping at 16? If they're willing, I could easily see Kansas, NC, and any combination of FSU, Clemson, Ga. Tech, Miami, Va. Tech, UVA getting a nod to go to 18 or 20.

Barry Alvarez didn't just throw out that Superconference crap for nothing...

Unless the Big 10 has some end game to pressure ND in, I'd like to see VA Tech (football & Virigina TVs), KU (basketball - just the BB - not much more in TV except during BB season). Looking at purely football - FSU (As we've yet revenged our 1993 - officials missing a 100 calls NCG), and VA Tech. Not sure if these schools are AAU qualified or not. Speaking of - is there any chance NU gets re-admitted into the AAU??

Unless the Big 10 has some end game to pressure ND in, I'd like to see VA Tech (football & Virigina TVs), KU (basketball - just the BB - not much more in TV except during BB season). Looking at purely football - FSU (As we've yet revenged our 1993 - officials missing a 100 calls NCG), and VA Tech. Not sure if these schools are AAU qualified or not. Speaking of - is there any chance NU gets re-admitted into the AAU??

UVA, UNC, GT, and KU are all AAU members, VT and FSU are not. AAU membership isn't all it's cracked up to be though. VT and FSU are ranked academically higher than KU. In fact, out of all these schools, I think KU is the only one that might be disqualified purely for academic reasons.

Didn't see this mentioned here yet but News Corp closed its deal on the YES Network yesterday - a few hours after Rutgers became official.

The Big Ten Network being a bundle deal with the Yankees and the Nets explains why Rutgers was valuable after all.

Yep, there was lots going on behind the scenes, there is much more planning then meets the eye and the payoff should be pretty impressive.

It was mentioned, but I didn't see an article on it until you posted. Thanks for the find.

Now I'm hearing talk of UNC and Kansas being the last 2 to come. I would be alright with that, but it's still not the powerhouse move that I was hoping for.

Who said they're stopping at 16? If they're willing, I could easily see Kansas, NC, and any combination of FSU, Clemson, Ga. Tech, Miami, Va. Tech, UVA getting a nod to go to 18 or 20.

I have seen the 20 team confrence throwin around also. It showed the confrence broke up into 4-5 team divisions and it would have a playoff out of the top teams in each division to determine the B1G champ. It had FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, UNC, UVA all coming aboard along with Maryland and Rutgers.

I have seen the 20 team confrence throwin around also. It showed the confrence broke up into 4-5 team divisions and it would have a playoff out of the top teams in each division to determine the B1G champ. It had FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT, UNC, UVA all coming aboard along with Maryland and Rutgers.

If that happens I will crap,but I could see this. I would feel bad for Ohio St and Michigan. They would still play each other every year and possibly knock each other off from the playoff. going to be some unbalanced pods if it happens. College tradition is almost dead. Not that Nebraska has a rival right now.

UVA, UNC, GT, and KU are all AAU members, VT and FSU are not. AAU membership isn't all it's cracked up to be though. VT and FSU are ranked academically higher than KU. In fact, out of all these schools, I think KU is the only one that might be disqualified purely for academic reasons.

KU is honestly not that bad...they're slightly better than Missouri, at any rate.

FSU isn't an AAU member, but I had found a few documents recently illustrating that they're actively trying to obtain AAU status.

As for Nebraska, I've heard that unless new leadership takes hold of the AAU and reverses the trajectory they're on, we won't get back in, and more ag research schools will be purged. Don't know if that's still the case, though.

KU is honestly not that bad...they're slightly better than Missouri, at any rate.

FSU isn't an AAU member, but I had found a few documents recently illustrating that they're actively trying to obtain AAU status.

As for Nebraska, I've heard that unless new leadership takes hold of the AAU and reverses the trajectory they're on, we won't get back in, and more ag research schools will be purged. Don't know if that's still the case, though.

Yeah Nebraska isn't getting back into the AAU and I am pretty sure after how the whole thing went down the administration isn't big on going back either. Syracuse even left the AAU on their own will because they were about to be pushed out.

That said anyone paying attention to Nebraska academics will see they are making big investments on that front. Nebraska will be ranked last in the conference for a while, but in another decade UNL will be much closer to the pack than they are today. Innovation Campus is going to be huge.

Yeah Nebraska isn't getting back into the AAU and I am pretty sure after how the whole thing went down the administration isn't big on going back either. Syracuse even left the AAU on their own will because they were about to be pushed out.

That said anyone paying attention to Nebraska academics will see they are making big investments on that front. Nebraska will be ranked last in the conference for a while, but in another decade UNL will be much closer to the pack than they are today. Innovation Campus is going to be huge.

I sort of like these additions. I would agree that they do nothing to improve national perception of the B1G conference football -wise but, there are loftier aspirations than that to be gleaned from this. Increased exposure in large northeastern media markets and with recruits and maybe more importantly those recruits parents. The academic side of it is there and it doesn't hurt our basketball image. Sure there may be a handful of schools that would be a better cultural fit like Notre Dame or Oklahoma but, when the sh#t hits the fan in the impending realignments and super conference formations, we will not be scrambling like so many others likely will be. I've never fully understood the football conference perception issue. The SEC has the tops in that but we know how and why. I don't want our conference even trying to compete with that based on lower academic standards, over signing, and placing an unhealthy emphasis on excelling only at sports. Besides that, I feel the B1G os already at number 2 nationally in football perception. Sure there have been some down years of recent but you gotta look longer term at the bigger picture. Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn St......name four teams from any other non-SEC conference that can rival that list. Best you could do would be USC, Oregon, Stanford, and who? Baltimore/DC and NYC TV markets? I'll take them and their cash.

The 20 team model is interesting. Basically it would be most of the ACC teams merged with the Big10. Like the SEC & B12 partnership but a step further Big10 wanted to do partner with the pac but that fell through so it would make sense to go the East Coast route. I also think KU, MU and schools in our direction don't fit the direction they want to go. They keep talking about demographics and the migration of people to sunbelt states. If they are going to establish B10 offices on the east coast they are probably intent on expanding southward along the coast and perhaps into the Boston area.