Iowa Coaches AND Fans ready to give up the Black Friday game slot

Clearly IA's thought process on this is governed by big donors and the administration. Having worked with big donors and university administration I am not totally surprised as neither parties are particularly accepting of change (and administrators are usually very short sighted).

Delany and NU see the value in this game not being in competition with MI vs OSU. Some other school will jump at this chance. PSU makes logical sense, but then you have the same risk as MI/OSU with a possible rematch the next week. WI same issue.

MSU might be an option. Clearly MSU and NU don't like each other. NW has been the most competitive game the past 2 years.

But, in the long run, I suspect Delany and the B1G are going to pressure IA heavily to get on board. Heck if Hawkeye fans can't sell out Kinnick I am sure you could round up a bunch of Clones fans to cheer against both IA and NU, haha.

There's actually some Iowa fans that realize how stupid this move is...so there may be hope for that pathetic lot yet.

And then there's this assclown:

"Problem is thanksgiving break for students. Most Iowa students come from all over the state and when they go home, they aren't coming back. Nebraska on the other hand; most of their students are from a radius of 45 minutes from campus, making it much easier to go back for the game."

Please. If any B1G school is going to passively labeled a commuter school...it's the University of Minnesota. :-|

And frankly, if the B1G wants exposure and media dollars, then they'll continue to have the game on Friday--they'll just put another school in that has a fanbase not entirely comprised of eunuchs. Penn State wouldn't be a bad idea...though if we get Wisconsin in our division after the realignment, the Nebraska/Wisconsin game would be a very good one for Friday going forward, IMO.

I am almost positive we have the same percentage of kids that go home for the holidays as they do. That is a ridiculous excuse. Most don't come back? Do you blame them wanting to come back to watch their team get their crap kicked in because they aren't that good? Don't get me wrong, they have and will continue to get good athletes, but being one of the few games on, your going to start to get recognized and could be that deciding factor between Iowa or Iowa State. Nut up Iowa fans, pull off your diapers and quit being cry babies.

This guy's point isn't that the Nebraska kids don't go home; his point is that kids that go to Iowa are from all over the state of Iowa versus the kids that go to Nebraska are generally from either Omaha (an hour away) or Lincoln metro areas, therefore, it is easier for them to travel back when it is a home game.

I also disagree with your comment about good athletes. Who on Iowa's team could be considered a "good athlete"? I'm gonna vote for nobody.

Of the current teams in the division, I'm gonna go with Michigan State as being the best option for the Black Friday game. I mean, it would be kinda a hike when it's there, and, as we saw from our game with them this season, if they aren't doing well, much of the stands will be empty, but I think they'd jump at the chance to have a rivalry-esque game the same weekend that Michigan is playing OSU. Those arguing for Penn State have a decent point, but you gotta remember that that team is just going to get worse and worse over the next few years, bottom out and slowly make it's way back up. Nobody wants to tune in to a 42-10 game after they've waited out in the cold to get a new deep fat frier for 10% off at SEARS earlier that morning.

There's actually some Iowa fans that realize how stupid this move is...so there may be hope for that pathetic lot yet.

And then there's this assclown:

"Problem is thanksgiving break for students. Most Iowa students come from all over the state and when they go home, they aren't coming back. Nebraska on the other hand; most of their students are from a radius of 45 minutes from campus, making it much easier to go back for the game."

Please. If any B1G school is going to passively labeled a commuter school...it's the University of Minnesota. :-|

And frankly, if the B1G wants exposure and media dollars, then they'll continue to have the game on Friday--they'll just put another school in that has a fanbase not entirely comprised of eunuchs.

Penn State wouldn't be a bad idea...though if we get Wisconsin in our division after the realignment, the Nebraska/Wisconsin game would be a very good one for Friday going forward, IMO.

I really hope the Wisconsin thing works out. Not sure what others think, but it feels like we have a nice little rivalry in the making with them.

• Fire 1

Of the current teams in the division, I'm gonna go with Michigan State as being the best option for the Black Friday game.

Our divisions are going to change, depending on who else gets brought in. Let's hold up on this line of thought for a sec until we see who else jumps aboard the H.M.S. B1G--who knows, Wisky or Kansas could be available... :)

I really hope the Wisconsin thing works out. Not sure what others think, but it feels like we have a nice little rivalry in the making with them.

Agreed. They're probably the best potential rival this side of Oklahoma for us to have, and it's all thanks to Barry. :)

This guy's point isn't that the Nebraska kids don't go home; his point is that kids that go to Iowa are from all over the state of Iowa versus the kids that go to Nebraska are generally from either Omaha (an hour away) or Lincoln metro areas, therefore, it is easier for them to travel back when it is a home game.

I also disagree with your comment about good athletes. Who on Iowa's team could be considered a "good athlete"? I'm gonna vote for nobody.

Of the current teams in the division, I'm gonna go with Michigan State as being the best option for the Black Friday game. I mean, it would be kinda a hike when it's there, and, as we saw from our game with them this season, if they aren't doing well, much of the stands will be empty, but I think they'd jump at the chance to have a rivalry-esque game the same weekend that Michigan is playing OSU. Those arguing for Penn State have a decent point, but you gotta remember that that team is just going to get worse and worse over the next few years, bottom out and slowly make it's way back up. Nobody wants to tune in to a 42-10 game after they've waited out in the cold to get a new deep fat frier for 10% off at SEARS earlier that morning.

Iowa has just as many local students as Nebraska does. Iowa probably actually has more. Iowa has a lot of Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Cedar Falls kids attending that college, or even from Illinois. Guess what? Those are only a couple hours away. His statement is invalid in my opinion.

You don't think Iowa has good Athletes? You really have to be kidding me? Micah Hyde, Greg Castillo, Tanner Miller, Keenan Davis, Martin-Manley, BJ Lowery, Cole Fisher, James Morris, Mark Weisman, James Ferentz, Steve Bigach, Mike Meyer, Joe Gaglione and CJ Fiedorowitz are all studs.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense!!! Lets travel 9hrs to East Lansing the day after Thanksgiving for a Black Friday game. Iowa or Wisconsin are our two best bets for our day after Thanksgiving game.