DT Ben Bradley [Auburn Commit]

corncraze

Not ready to give up on Guy yet. Suh could have been considered a bust before his junior year.

No comparison. Yes, Suh wasn't the dominant player we all know him as till his junior and senior year, but at least he was able to play himself onto the field as a freshman and sophomore. Guy can't sniff the field and that's with zero depth at the position. There's obviously a reason for that.

Not ready to give up on Guy yet. Suh could have been considered a bust before his junior year.

No comparison. Yes, Suh wasn't the dominant player we all know him as till his junior and senior year, but at least he was able to play himself onto the field as a freshman and sophomore. Guy can't sniff the field and that's with zero depth at the position. There's obviously a reason for that.

Good point. I guess I see Jay Guy just like I saw TMart last year. Not ready to give up on a sophomore.

Good point. I guess I see Jay Guy just like I saw TMart last year. Not ready to give up on a sophomore.

I for one was ready to give up on TMart, but I'm actually glad we didn't. If he could just learn to take care of the ball better and stop throwing those terrible int's, he could be a damn good college QB.

Isn't there a DT out of Utah that was First Team All JUCO that we can go after? I don't remember his name at the moment. Is he still available? When could he sign a LOI?

We gauged his interest, he went to Oregon State. I wasn't a fan. There's a kid from Cali as well we are looking at and haven't offered. He's on the skinnyth side.

Ofa Hautau was the name of th kid. Just saw it in rivals database when I was checking to see Collins' rating.

Is the Cali kid JUCO or HS EZ? If its a reach and he's not a good get I'd think the staff would be good wit just Collins and Maurice this cycle. Is this not the case?

As scary as our depth is right now, between VV, Curry, and th two Dom this year, we have finally gotten some really solid DTs for the future. VV was always a beast, but I personally had concerns about how soon Curry could contribute. Seemed a bit undersized at first to me, but hell we walked into his commit a** backward by hiring Kaz so can't complain. And if my memory serves he was mentioned to get PT before VV this year.

What do you make of these four? Do a quick ranking of them?

Know I'm not EZ but ranking these 4 I would go as follows:

1a. Curry

1b. Valentine

3. Collins

4. Juice

No, thanks. Im not thirsty...

Even though the Suh/Guy comparison is a stretch, I still think keeping Suh's history in mind could be instructive. Plus, there are some additional comparisons that can be made between Suh and Guy. For starters, both Suh and Guy seemed to have better Freshman seasons than Sophomore seasons. Suh was very disruptive off the bench as I remember it as a Freshman. Granted, he earned a starting position as a Soph, but our interior D-line performance was worse in 07 then this past season. In our worst performances against the run this year (Wisky, Georgia) it seems like a lot of the damage was done running the ball outside. In 07 I saw bigger holes in the interior line than I have ever witnessed as an NU fan. Guy actually did sniff the field (not a lot) as a Freshman. Another similarity between Suh's sophomore yr and this past season is that we had a first year D-line coach.

I have no idea whether Guy specifically will come around. I do agree with EZ about not wanting to give up on a sophmore. Whether it's Guy or Williams or Peete or Rome, I believe somebody from the 2010 or 2011 recruiting classes will step up and make an impact next year. Throw in the 2012 class and we might be alright.

Even though the Suh/Guy comparison is a stretch, I still think keeping Suh's history in mind could be instructive. Plus, there are some additional comparisons that can be made between Suh and Guy. For starters, both Suh and Guy seemed to have better Freshman seasons than Sophomore seasons. Suh was very disruptive off the bench as I remember it as a Freshman. Granted, he earned a starting position as a Soph, but our interior D-line performance was worse in 07 then this past season. In our worst performances against the run this year (Wisky, Georgia) it seems like a lot of the damage was done running the ball outside. In 07 I saw bigger holes in the interior line than I have ever witnessed as an NU fan. Guy actually did sniff the field (not a lot) as a Freshman. Another similarity between Suh's sophomore yr and this past season is that we had a first year D-line coach.

I have no idea whether Guy specifically will come around. I do agree with EZ about not wanting to give up on a sophmore. Whether it's Guy or Williams or Peete or Rome, I believe somebody from the 2010 or 2011 recruiting classes will step up and make an impact next year. Throw in the 2012 class and we might be alright.

Um....Peat is gone. Thanks for keeping up though.

Are we allowed to give up on Okuyemi and Ashburn?

Are we allowed to give up on Okuyemi and Ashburn?

I think if Ashburn has a good spring and summer he can play. But he'll need to work hard. I think Okuyemi might be a miss along with Guy.

I thought Okuyemi and Guy would get some playing time. Seems like other than Suh, Crick and Steinkuhler we have been a little below average at best at DT. Injuries are part of that I know. Also defensive scheme and complexiity. Still it is discouraging. I'm waiting for some guys to emerge at this position. Hopefully Valentine will be the next DT to be excited about. Coach K might be able to accelerate this process going forward.

I thought Okuyemi and Guy would get some playing time. Seems like other than Suh, Crick and Steinkuhler we have been a little below average at best at DT. Injuries are part of that I know. Also defensive scheme and complexiity. Still it is discouraging. I'm waiting for some guys to emerge at this position. Hopefully Valentine will be the next DT to be excited about. Coach K might be able to accelerate this process going forward.

how athletic is VV? i know he's huge but i hope people dont think he's gonna come in and put up crick or suh number i think most of what he does wont show up on a stat sheet

how athletic is VV? i know he's huge but i hope people dont think he's gonna come in and put up crick or suh number i think most of what he does wont show up on a stat sheet

At his size he is just not going to be overly athletic. He is a pure run stopper though which is what we need.

Um....Peat is gone. Thanks for keeping up though.

In his defense, its been hard to keep track of our under-achieving DT's. I thought Guy was gone too!