TE Kevin Dillman

Nexus

He was never gonna be a QB here. IF he ends up here he will have just as much of a chance at QB as Jamal Turner did (which is very little)

If that isn't writing off I don't know what is.

Okay. I'll play.

First, no one is writing off Dillman. But the odds are stacked against him that his best 2 years of HS football came during his first 2 years of HS(assuming he played HS football as a freshman). While he seems athletically gifted, that doesn't make him an instant relevant option at QB. I have no doubt that he will be given a chance to show what he can do at QB.

As far as Steinkuhler is concerned, I believe it was his choice to play defense. And there is absolutely zero proof that he would have been any better of a OT than a DT.

The main reason I brought him up was that he was our last legit 5***** recruit, realizing Kevin does not have the five star rating anymore with 247 proves that an injury can hurt anyone's rankings, we know this. However, (knocks on wood) getting a guy to sign on the dotted line come signing day who was once considered a candidate for being the NUMBER ONE prospect for the 2015 class out of high school at the QB position (Sports Illustrated words not mine) and discrediting the guy for not playing the past two years is a refusal to see the big picture.

http://www.si.com/high-school/2012/03/06/kevin-dillmanrecruiting

He was never gonna be a QB here. IF he ends up here he will have just as much of a chance at QB as Jamal Turner did (which is very little)

Okay. I'll play.

First, no one is writing off Dillman. But the odds are stacked against him that his best 2 years of HS football came during his first 2 years of HS(assuming he played HS football as a freshman). While he seems athletically gifted, that doesn't make him an instant relevant option at QB. I have no doubt that he will be given a chance to show what he can do at QB.

As far as Steinkuhler is concerned, I believe it was his choice to play defense. And there is absolutely zero proof that he would have been any better of a OT than a DT.

The main reason I brought him up was that he was our last legit 5***** recruit, realizing Kevin does not have the five star rating anymore with 247 proves that an injury can hurt anyone's rankings, we know this. However, (knocks on wood) getting a guy to sign on the dotted line come signing day who was once considered a candidate for being the NUMBER ONE prospect for the 2015 class out of high school at the QB position (Sports Illustrated words not mine) and discrediting the guy for not playing the past two years is a refusal to see the big picture.

He was getting offered as a TE like Nick O'leary at FSU, not sure about Auburn. Wouldn't shock me if it were similar. Also, things are MUCH different than they were when he was first a 5-star recruit.

He was already behind as a QB and was already being considered for a position switch. There is a reason we are pushing very, very hard for Lamar Jackson. If you have a true QB that you think is a "5 star", you don't recruit LJ as actively as we have.

Okay. I'll play.

He was getting offered as a TE like Nick O'leary at FSU, not sure about Auburn. Wouldn't shock me if it were similar. Also, things are MUCH different than they were when he was first a 5-star recruit.

He was already behind as a QB and was already being considered for a position switch. There is a reason we are pushing very, very hard for Lamar Jackson. If you have a true QB that you think is a "5 star", you don't recruit LJ as actively as we have.

Nor do you practically go radio silence with the kid.

I really hope Kevin makes it here in some capacity. It's really lousy luck for him that his senior year got wiped out in this manner.

QB recruiting isn't something to mess around with, though, and we've had a number of injury/baseball/etc potential issues lately. So I'm on board with finding some way to get another QB this class, if we can, opening the door for a position switch for either if it doesn't work out.

I think given the state of the QB position on the team right now, we should be as SAFE as possible at QB this year.

If that means taking two, it means taking two.

We've got a solid top two of TA and Ryker, but after that, Stanton hasn't progressed as quickly as some hoped and apparently has some issues with consistency.

I'll leave this to the film junkies amongst us, but does anyone know how proficient Dillman and LJ are as passer at this point? Both are definitely dual threat types, but if we wind up with both of them, I fear neither of them having the arm to stick at QB which would essentially leave us with no QB this class.

I would hope our staff is smart enough to not let that happen. But then again, they've been slow to develop passers in the past and that leads one to believe perhaps Beck doesn't necessarily place a premium on inherent passing ability.

I think given the state of the QB position on the team right now, we should be as SAFE as possible at QB this year.

If that means taking two, it means taking two.

We've got a solid top two of TA and Ryker, but after that, Stanton hasn't progressed as quickly as some hoped and apparently has some issues with consistency.

I'll leave this to the film junkies amongst us, but does anyone know how proficient Dillman and LJ are as passer at this point? Both are definitely dual threat types, but if we wind up with both of them, I fear neither of them having the arm to stick at QB which would essentially leave us with no QB this class.

I would hope our staff is smart enough to not let that happen. But then again, they've been slow to develop passers in the past and that leads one to believe perhaps Beck doesn't necessarily place a premium on inherent passing ability.

Stanton has far better arm than Ryker. His injury has put him behind in running and understanding the play book.

Callahan had an interesting observation on Big Red Wrap-up this week. He noted that the Huskers sent Barney Cotton to visit Dillman over the bye week. Since Cotton doesn't recruit Texas, is our TE coach and Dillman has been playing TE, Callahan is pretty convinced that if Dillman ends up here he will be playing TE.

Seems pretty plausible to me. The only caveat I'd throw in there is usually Beck recruits Texas and QBs but he didn't go on the road last week so it's possible that Cotton was filling in for him. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

I'm not so sure. We're a little crowded at QB right now anyway and we're still looking for another one this year. Plus, we already have one QB who is a little bit on the raw side and one former walk-on. If we take Dillman at QB and another one, that would be seven scholarship QBs and none of them graduate for at least two years. That seems excessive to me.

I would say we'll be honest with him about him playing TE, especially since he's already playing that position some now. There has been speculation over the past month that he won't end up here anyway. If he's fine with the switch to TE, he has a spot. If he only wants to play QB, he probably goes somewhere else.